The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
lnvictus

STAR PD divots?

Got an old Star PD I picked up cheap some time ago. Sadly, a previous owner throated the feed ramp, which is a BIG NO-NO for aluminum-framed pistolas. Is there anything available in the way of an industrial adhesive/bonding agent to build this area up? It's a really sweet shooter and I would like it to feed hp ammo without it gouging the feed ramp all to hell. Thanks in advance for the feedback. ā‰ˆIā‰ˆ
Old January 28, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
RickB

I found that by using Winchester Silvertips, I could keep the damage to a minimum. The usual fix for an alloy-framed 1911 is to mill out the feedramp area of the frame and install a steel feedramp insert. I don't know if you want to spend the money, but it would probably work for a PD, too.
http://www.egwguns.com/feed-ramps/st...d-ramp-insert/
Another possibility would be drilling across the frame for a large-diameter steel rod, which is located where the feeding rounds would hit the frame, but preventing the bullets from contacting aluminum. It would have to be precisely located, so it would protect the frame but allow reliable feeding. I've seen some left round, and some, cut to the contour of the surrounding frame ramp.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:56 PM   #3
leadchucker

I wonder what a gunsmith would charge to do a mill/insert job on that. It might be worth it. First, check that frame over real close for cracks. There was a polymer buffer on the slide spring assembly, and it has probably worn out and disintegrated some time ago. The gun will shoot without it, but it's real hard on the frame. Those buffers are still available, and if you opt to keep the gun, you might want to find some.

I have a PD, and I love it. It's a sweet shooter.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

The anodizing on aluminum framed pistols' feed ramps wears pretty quickly anyway. If it has been removed, it's not the end of the world. Make sure your magazine lips are properly adjusted, so that the bullet makes minimal contact with the ramp. Shoot your gun, I doubt it will wear out.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:17 PM   #5
RC20

They will wear out, they were the first lightweight 45 and the gun art for that was not quite there as far as longevity went.

On the other hand as stated, it was a shooter and uber reliable. Only problem I ever had with mine was when I failed to clean it for 10 years (shot little, threw in back pack or the truck and just never got around to it)

You might check Gun Runners web site up in Anchorage AK. I traded mine in on another gun a few weeks back. From the buffer I suspect it had less than 50 rounds through it and I maybe put another 100 through it myself.

I think it was a police carry gun and not shot.

I could not shoot the small iron sight and it was a great swap but its one I will miss.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Colt was making lightweight Commanders in the 1950s!
Old January 29, 2013, 12:33 PM   #7
N.M. Edmands

You're correct as usual Bill, But the "PD" was a lot smaller.

"Some where something incredible is waiting to be known" -Carl Sagan
"It aint how good you shoot,it's how cool you look doing it." -Fred Sayre 1994
Old January 29, 2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Innovative Custom Guns, run by the guy who gunsmithed at EGW, charges $160 for a steel feed ramp insert on an aluminum frame.
Whether he would do it to a Star instead of a Colt, you will just have to ask.

http://www.innovativecustomguns.com/...-services.html
Old January 30, 2013, 04:52 PM   #9
lnvictus

Yes No Maybe

Gentlemen: Thank you very much for the feedback. I am researching the availability of a ceramic-based adhesive/bonding agent. If they can line cylinder bores then there should be an available solution for this application within budget. Additional input is solicited & graciously accepted.ā‰ˆIā‰ˆ
Old January 30, 2013, 11:12 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

I would think anything truly ceramic based would require curing temperatures that would melt the frame.
Just shoot the gun. I doubt you'll have problems, unless somebody screwed up the feed ramp by grinding.
Old January 31, 2013, 02:29 PM   #11
RickB

My PD continued to shoot reliably, even with a very dinged-up feed ramp, which had had the anodizing polished off by a previous owner. I shot mostly roundnose ammo, but Silvertips didn't seem to make the situation much worse, so that was my carry load.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:12 AM   #12
gsmirnov

Star PD .45ACP

I kept it unused for more than 15 years. Nevertheless, I've recently decided to bring it to a working condition. I've replaced a recoil spring and recoil buffer and had shot it at a local shooting range. Wow!

Last edited by gsmirnov; February 22, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Walt Sherrill

As I read it, his problem is NOT that the gun won't shoot as is -- but that hollow point ammo seems to be a concern, and he's afraid HP will make the existing "modified" feed ramp worse. He didn't say whether HP works at all, but he does want to shoot HP. Will using HP make the ramp worse?

Are replacement barrels available anywhere -- perhaps Numrich? And would one that was not modified be any better?
Old February 20, 2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

Probably not. Silvertips, in particular, are aluminum jacketed.
I have never seen an un anodized ramp destroyed by shooting. Anodizing is very hard, but extremely thin. Once the ramp is dinged by any ammo, the anodizing can wear anyway. Anodizing is not necessary on the feed ramp.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:51 AM   #15
Chesster

Many years ago I had a hankering for one of these. A good smith I used said it was great for carry but had a life expectancy of 500 rounds or so. I went with a Star B-- something or other in 9mm instead.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 21, 2013, 06:49 AM   #16
Bill DeShivs

They will last a lot more than 500 rounds.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:53 AM   #17
leadchucker

If you keep that recoil buffer replaced, that PD will likely outlast you.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:38 PM   #18
Sportster77

Quote:
Are replacement barrels available anywhere
Sarco has them in their current ads but on the PD the feed ramp is not part of the barrel but part of the frame .

I just sold 1 of the 2 from our houshold last weekend.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
on the PD the feed ramp is not part of the barrel but part of the frame
Duh!! Good point -- and I had just reread the conversation about gunsmiths being able to repair/rebuild that part of the receiver/frame... (I was thinking about a different style barrel/feed ramp. Guess I've had too many CZs, BHPs, SIGs and Glocks....)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:42 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

Now that I think about it, it seems that the PD feed ramps were finished after the frame was anodized-leaving only raw aluminum on the ramp.
Old February 24, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
RickB

I've had two, and while one had a polished ramp, the other was black anodized along with the rest of the frame. I don't think I've never seen an (unaltered) aluminum framed-gun that didn't have a finish on the ramp.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Bill DeShivs

You have now! Gun is as it left the factory. Clear anodized aluminum frame, chrome plated steel parts. Ramp was finished after anodizing. so they were finished both ways, apparently. So I guess its a non issue.

Last edited by Bill DeShivs; February 24, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:41 PM   #23
Bill DeShivs

I just checked my Star BKM blue anodized gun. Feed ramp on it was finished after anodizing. One of my DKs was anodized after the ramp was finished.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:53 PM   #24
HisSoldier

Quote:
I wonder what a gunsmith would charge to do a mill/insert job on that. It might be worth it.
I don't know what GS's shop rates are, but my commercial machine shop rate is $85 an hour. A job like that would quickly make it a very valuable gun, but only to the guy who paid for it!
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.