The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 26, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Chowder

New Ruger

Today I sold my Kel Tec PF9, holsters and and a bunch of 9mm ammo so I had cash in my pocket. Then I drove by my LGS to kill some time and shockingly I came home with a new gun . A used but good condition Ruger Super blackhawk in .44 mag.

I didn't own a single action revolver so I figured I would get one that meant business haha. It has a couple scuffs on the barrel that I think I can get rid of pretty easy.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Nice. I really like the unfluted cylinder.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:36 PM   #3
jmortimer

"I really like the unfluted cylinder."

Me too - Now that is a real gun in my book.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:36 PM   #4
solocam72

Congrats on a fine revolver! I have the same gun with a 5 1/2" barrel, mine has a fluted cylinder and that's the only thing I don't like about it! I really like the looks of the unfluted and always have. Enjoy it!
Old December 26, 2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Chowder

Thanks guys I'm sure I'm going to love this revolver! The unfluted cylinder and the older style trigger guard is really what attracted me to this gun. One thing I have to figure out is the proper way to grip this thing. My normal 2 handed grip for semi autos I have been trained to use doesn't feel right. Oh well I'm sure i just need to experiment to get comfortable with it .
Old December 26, 2012, 07:23 PM   #6
drail

Howdy. You are correct, your normal grip for a DA revolver or a semi auto won't help you much on a SA revolver. Just try to get as much of your strong hand wrapped around the grip as you can get and support that hand with your weak hand. Don't try to physically stop all of the recoil motion. Let it roll back into your hand just a little. With that barrel that gun should be pretty easy to contol with full power loads. If the rear of the triggerguard slaps you on your knuckle you will either have to change your grip or change the gun's grips. If you don't reload you really should think about it. Reloading will allow you to shoot many more rounds from that gun for the same money you'll end up spending on factory loads.
Old December 26, 2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Chowder

Quote:
Don't try to physically stop all of the recoil motion. Let it roll back into your hand just a little. With that barrel that gun should be pretty easy to contol with full power loads. If the rear of the triggerguard slaps you on your knuckle you will either have to change your grip or change the gun's grips. If you don't reload you really should think about it. Reloading will allow you to shoot many more rounds from that gun for the same money you'll end up spending on factory loads.
Thanks for the advice. I do plan on reloading eventually I just don't have the space right now do be able to have the set up I want. In less than a year I will be moving and will have much more space so I might start collecting the equipment before I move.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Jim March

Start with some mild 44Mag or some 44Spl loads if you can find 'em. Work out how you're going to grip it. Decide whether you're an "off hand cocker" or a "strong side thumber". Then work your way up the power spectrum.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:58 PM   #9
drail

Very good advice.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:51 AM   #10
Chowder

Quote:
Start with some mild 44Mag or some 44Spl loads if you can find 'em. Work out how you're going to grip it. Decide whether you're an "off hand cocker" or a "strong side thumber". Then work your way up the power spectrum.
More good advice. I have some 300gr federal that I like out of my marlin but now that I am thinking more those will be a whole new beast in a handgun. Those were pushing 1650 FPS out of my rifle when I borrowed a crono at the range. Ill go look for some lighter loaded 44 mag or specials if i can find them at least until I figure the grip out.

Another thing I learned today about this revolver is that the former owner didn't like to clean it very well. But after letting it soak for a while and some time with a nylon brush and a bore snake this thing looks and feels like new. Can't wait to sling some lead this weekend.
Old December 27, 2012, 07:32 AM   #11
mrt949

Try different grips that square trigger guard will make you CRY .
Old December 27, 2012, 10:16 AM   #12
hdbiker

Ruger

I've owned my Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. sinse 1984.I'm working on my 3'rd 5 gallon pail of cast wheelweights.This Ruger still locks up tight and is very accurate.I love Rugers and own several =Ruger Single Six conv.,Blackhawk 9mm-.357 conv.,Mark #1 target auto,and a SP101 in the mix,just for fun.biker
Old December 27, 2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Stressfire

Quote:
Possible. Left a good cut on my MIL's knuckle the first time she fired a similar one. Changed over to some hand-filling rubber grips and she can shoot it comfortably now.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:07 AM   #14
jmortimer

A two handed grip with a single action is a good idea and you use the off hand to cock the hammer for the next shot. Works wells. Check out how the SASS members do it.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Hogeman

I had one in black with 101/2" barrel and it was one fine gun. Sold it to buy a T/C pistol.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:56 PM   #16
smee78

I passed on one of these a few years ago but seeing yours makes me want to try to find another. Congrats
Old December 27, 2012, 09:36 PM   #17
Chowder

Quote:
I am hoping I can find a grip that doesn't, I hate the look of the oversized finger groove grips. I have fairly large hands but skinny fingers so I hope my knuckles don't get bashed haha. I supose shooting with some gloves wouldn't be a big deal. Most of my shooting is done in sub zero weather with gloves anyway.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:43 PM   #18
GeauxTide

Here's your grip store

http://stores.ebay.com/Bearpaw-Ruger-Grip-Store

These are the finest grips for Ruger SA that I've ever owned and I've tried them all. They are on my 41, 44spl, and 45 Bisley. They are also on a SS SBH like yours. They handle recoil better than the others and are beautiful.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Chowder

Awesome thanks for the link. I have been thinking I want to add my own custom touch to this gun but don't want something that looks like it doesn't belong on the gun.
Old December 29, 2012, 12:59 AM   #20
TennJed

I will trade you a kel Tec PF9 and some ammo for it
Old December 29, 2012, 01:35 AM   #21
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder
I do plan on reloading eventually I just don't have the space right now do be able to have the set up I want. In less than a year I will be moving and will have much more space so I might start collecting the equipment before I move.
Not much space required. Everything I need to load for 7 calibers fits in three toolboxes the largest of which is 10" x 10" x 23" plus a folding workbench and a dropcloth. Add a couple of books (loading manuals) and I can set up in a 4' x4' space in about 10 minutes and be loading. Teardown is even quicker. The drop keeps everything tidy.

Cost? For the price of 20 boxes of 44 ammo you can buy a first-class basic loading setup and enough components to load those same 1,000 rounds. Or for the cost of 10 boxes of 44 you can buy a minimal setup and enough components to load 500 rounds. And the minimal setup can be expanded later.

I'm not going to leave you any excuse to escape beginning your loading right now. (I'm just a zealot, sorry.)

By the way. Nice find. The Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum is a beautiful piece of engineering.

Lost Sheep
Old December 29, 2012, 10:04 AM   #22
Rifleman1776

If you are not already in love with it, you soon will be.
Congrats.
Old December 29, 2012, 03:03 PM   #23
Chowder

Quote:
I'm not going to leave you any excuse to escape beginning your loading right now. (I'm just a zealot, sorry.)
Didn't make excuses lol cost of reloading is not an issue. I got a couple other projects going on in the garage right no so not going to get into reloading until I can get the setup I want.

Quote:
I will trade you a kel Tec PF9 and some ammo for it
Nope, don't think I will be getting another PF9 lol
Old December 29, 2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Chowder

Well I didn't get to shoot it today unfortunately like I planned. I have another question about this Ruger though, Does anyone know what year Ruger switched to the round trigger guard?
Old December 29, 2012, 11:20 PM   #25
Chowder

Quote:
Cost? For the price of 20 boxes of 44 ammo you can buy a first-class basic loading setup and enough components to load those same 1,000 rounds. Or for the cost of 10 boxes of 44 you can buy a minimal setup and enough components to load 500 rounds. And the minimal setup can be expanded later.
A boring Saturday now has me looking around my house for a spot to put some reloading gear. It might be weird to reload in my bedroom but I have about a 2'x4' empty space on top of a beat up old dresser that I plan on replacing when I finally move into my bigger place.