The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Nathan

Easiest Handgun to Own

Use your experience here! This is kind of the parallel of "don't want to shoot weekly, clean weekly, do simple gunsmithing...what gun should I buy?" thread.

So, the qualifiers are:
- easy to learn
- requires minimal complex thought...hard to forget
- easy to clean
- runs dirty
- reliable OOTB and after 1000 rounds with no parts changes
- paper plate at 25 yards accurate
- easy to shoot fast doubles on that same plate at 7 yards
- drop safe...not CA test, but in practice
- meaningful SD or HD caliber
- could be CCW'd
- popular enough to never worry about parts, finding a gunsmith, etc.

Basically, a one gun gun for reccomending. So, tell me what you have for this? Pick one and tell us about it.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Bob Wright

TOO EASY!

Ruger New Model Blackhawk, .45 Colt.

Meets all your criteria.

Next question?

Bob Wright
Old December 11, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3
KMAX

Bob: You would recommend a single action 45Colt for anything wouldn't you?

I really like the 45Colt, but I would recommend a S&W 38/357 double action. I can't be real specific about models because there are many variables that the individual would have to decide on for himself.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 11, 2012, 10:13 AM   #4
deputy tom

S&W 686 4"bbl. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old December 11, 2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Edward429451

Bob nailed it. If SA revolvers are not your forte then I would suggest a Ruger RH in the caliber of your choice.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Belve

if your looking for something other then a wheel gun, a used glock is fairly cheap and can take 1000's of rds and tons of abuse with no issues
Old December 11, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Wyosmith

Another vote for a Ruger SA
Old December 11, 2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Theohazard

I would also say a Glock. I think the Glock 19 is the best all-around handgun on the market. It's big enough that it shoots like a full-sized gun but small enough to conceal in a IWB holster under a T-shirt (for most people). It holds 15 rounds of 9mm, a caliber many people find they are most effective with. It has a better trigger than most other striker-fired guns. It's very simple to field-strip and requires minimal cleaning and maintenance. It's extremely durable and reliable with all kinds of ammo. And because it's so popular, holsters and other parts and accessories are easy to find.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Bob Wright

KMAX said:

Quote:
I really like the 45Colt, but I would recommend a S&W 38/357 double action. I can't be real specific about models because there are many variables that the individual would have to decide on for himself.
Tried that:

Deputy Tom writeth:

Quote:
S&W 686 4"bbl. tom.
Tried that, too. Well, 586:

Came back to this. Not a .45 but a .44 Special:

Just feels more comfortable.

Bob Wright
Old December 11, 2012, 11:06 AM   #10
KMAX

Bob: DAs. That I like for ccw! 44Sp looks great too, but for cc I prefer double action. If SA works for you great. I am just much slower on double taps with a SA.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 11, 2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Nathan

Bob, you CC a Ruger SA? I guess all those cowboys couldn't be wrong.

That said, a Ruger SA in 45 Colt is probably next on my list. What is your SD load for that? ....hopefully milder than my 265gr 1250 fps hunting load!

Ok, I have to throw a preferred gun in here.

S&W 640 - I love the concealed hammer. I shoot 357's fast and accurate from it. I have 3 (pocket, IWB, OWB) holsters for it, which are easy to carry. I load from speed.

I think my Glock would fill this bill well also after some testing, but I did not like my friends 23 as much as I thought I would.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:57 AM   #12
JiminSC

S&W 686 4" 38/357 (Pre lock Holds it's value)

CZ P01 9mm
Old December 11, 2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Mystro

ANY pre owned steel S&W revolver will hold its value and a 686 is a perfect 1st gun.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 11, 2012, 12:08 PM   #14
Gaerek

A revolver fits that bill the best, I think.

Most popular (Glock, XD, M&P, Sig) semi-autos will fit that bill as well. Just from the ease of stripping I wouldn't put a 1911 on the list. I know, 1911's aren't that complicated, but compared to most modern semi-autos, they are fairly complex.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:53 PM   #15
ltc444

Given the criteria you set forward, it appears that you are looking for a home defense and occasional target shooting.

Given that criteria a revolver would be my first pick. You need to select one which fits your hand and has good point ability. In other words when you pick it up the sites naturally align.

For me the Ruger double actions do not point properly and are uncomfortable to shoot. Depending on the grips S&Ws generally fit the bill. That is a decision you will have to make by visiting a shop and range and trying them out. Try every model in stock.

The issue between single action or double action is the next question. I tend toward double action because the single action requires a separate action to fire. Double actions you pull the trigger and everything happens. DAs are harder to shoot accurately than a single action. Cowboy guns are fun.

Barrel length. Given your 25 yd requirement I would go with a 4 inch tube. It is more difficult to conceal is accurate. I own a Dan Wesson with 4 barrels. I use the 4 in barrel for carry and the 8 in for hunting. I don't care for the 2.5" and the 6". Once again that is something you must decide.

Caliber I would recommend 38/357. 38 spl ammo is relative cheap and available. 357 mag is more expensive but is available.

For a first pistol I would recommend a quality revolver in 357 mag with a four inch barrel.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:57 PM   #16
simonrichter

Glock, what else?

A SA western wheelgun as a CCW? You must be kiddin'?

Edit: I like wheelguns, and if we'd be talking "coolest and most classic and stylish", I'd agree hands down.

Last edited by simonrichter; December 11, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:13 PM   #17
chris in va

I agree, where the heck did all the SA revolver suggestions come from? You guys miss the part about rapid fire doubles?

Have a look at an M&P 9mm. I would say Glock but the grip angle isn't natural.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:15 PM   #18
mk70ss

2 1/2 inch model 66 .357 Smith and Wesson would get the nod from me.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:36 PM   #19
Seaman

Ahoy Nathan,

Interesting thread. Your 11 qualifiers rule out revolvers... ie if 4 home invaders were to break down the front door I couldn't meet the double-tap qualifier with a 5 or 6 shot revolver, my usual carry.

Only a semi-auto pistol can meet all your 11 criteria. My recommendation would be a hammer fired semi-auto, many striker fired pistols don't allow for simple second strike and a hammer just makes operations easier. The pistol that best meets your 11 qualifiers would be the Sig 229 in 40S&W caliber. Does all eleven points easily and will outlast its owner.

We can forgive Mr. Wright his SA revolver choices, but his superior shooting skills obviate double-taps.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:29 PM   #20
mrt949

Ruger DA revolver you can strip it down to nothing in no time .With small screw driver .
Old December 11, 2012, 03:55 PM   #21
scsov509

Quote:
Ruger DA revolver you can strip it down to nothing in no time .With small screw driver .
But you can strip most auto loaders in no time with no tools. I'm a 1911 guy for EDC and love me a good wheel gun as well. But the OP's criteria screams striker fired semi-auto to me, and among those you'd be hard pressed to beat a Glock 19 or 17. Not my favorite gun by any means, but they do seem to excel on all the identified criteria.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:14 PM   #22
Nathan

To clarify, my SD/HD stable is basically full. now, I buy for fun. i do see a daily post asking what gun to buy to start SD/HD lifestyle. Often the OP's lack of gun experience puts out a criteria that causes best choices to not get listed. .

1911 - I didn't include because all need mag/recoil spring maint IMHO.

S&W K or J frame - Super guns, but slow reload. Still, I think they meet this criteria. Against four armed intruders, sure not the best...I think 4 armed intruders is pretty unrealistic.

I like the other DA's also.

SA revolvers - I am kind of joking saying these are good for me! I would not SD/HD my Ruger, unless I need bear protection.

Glock - Honestly, there is not a much better basic gun. The only fault is that the moniker safe action is over-hyped BS. Still these are good guns, easy to hit with and accurate enough. With the NY1 trigger, it can be revolver heavy. With other user serviceable parts, it can be competition ready.

XD - Another Glock like gun, but IMHO, the grip safety adds safety without complexity. The grip and trigger are better. Yes, it is super reliable.

Keep'em coming!
Old December 11, 2012, 06:11 PM   #23
twobit

I agree with Bob. I love my Cimarron Artillery 45 Colt way more than all my other handguns which include DA revolvers and semi-autos both big and small.

If you don't reload the 45 colt is expensive so get the same gun in a 38/357.

Oh I reread the original post and saw it needed to be a do-all gun so I'd vote for a S&W 686.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:14 PM   #24
Bob Wright

simonricter wrote:

Quote:
A SA western wheelgun as a CCW? You must be kiddin'?
I'm dead serious.

Bob Wright
Old December 11, 2012, 06:34 PM   #25
MonsterB

That doesnt look very concealable Bob. great gun and props to you for carrying it but a ccw it is not.
Flame on but my vote also goes to Glock. Extremely simple and efficient, low cost of ownership and accessories, ease of maintenance, exceptional reliability, lightweight and high capacity, I dont think anyone beats glock in the ease of ownership role.