The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 18, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
lefkosia

Gun Safe

I am starting to get a pretty good size collection of guns. Mostly handguns and a few longuns. I need help with deciding on how to store them. I looked at a few safes on the internet but really don't know one from another. It seems if someone was to break in my house the safe needs to be big enough they could not carry it off. I thought about buying an old round top coke machine with a lock. Thinking this might not be as obvious. What do you all suggest?
Old September 18, 2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Don H

One of our members is in the 'safe' business and he has posted a ton of great information. I ran a search on all his posts in numerous threads and this material should keep you busy for a while: http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=6399672
Old September 19, 2012, 01:06 AM   #3
lefkosia

Thanks for the effort but the link does not work.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Don H

OK, I checked after I posted the link and it worked then but perhaps it timed out. Let's try going to his member profile: http://thefiringline.com/forums/member.php?u=33339 and click on "Find all posts by a1abdj "

Just checked and the link is working at this time.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:47 AM   #5
kraigwy

There are two laws regarding gun safe's.

Rule #1: No matter what size you get, it will be too small.

Rule #2: Regardless of what safe you have, the gun you want to shoot today will be in the back requiring you to unload the safe for today's shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 20, 2012, 09:11 AM   #6
solidheart

The best safe is a safe that can't be found. Going with the coke machine is a good idea as long as no one knows about it. If you decide to go the gun safe route be sure to pick up a UL listed safe. Even a residential security listing will have some hand tool protection and a good lock. I would research the lock if its electronic. Lock power tools away. Most home burglaries will be deterred from gun safes as long as they're bolted down and the theives can't take it with them.
Old September 21, 2012, 06:35 PM   #7
robertsig

What are your size requirements and budget?
Old September 30, 2012, 04:59 AM   #8
lefkosia

Well, I've got about 20 guns now and have a few more on my wish list. As far as budget I am thinking $1500 or so.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:25 AM   #9
ZEBRARANGER

I agree as others have already stated, its definitely better to go a little larger than you currently need. You can always use the extra space as your collection may grow or could be used for other valuables that you may own.
With owning that many handguns it would be beneficial for organization and space optimization in the new safe to have a good handgun rack system. This is a few of the rack systems that my small business offers to help solve some of those issues. Many of these systems also offer accessory storage for things like magazines, speed loaders, tactical lights and such in the same space as the handguns.

Old September 30, 2012, 12:14 PM   #10
sincentral

time is your enemy

I have 2 safes and 55 guns, i also have an escalera dolly that can lift 1200 pounds. Here's what i have learned. The most imortant thing is your security system I recommend simpli safe it is wireless with a battery back up. Thats important. If they cut your phone lines to your house it will still work. the monitoring only costs 15 dollars a month. Any safe can be broken into, thats why time is the key. You have to know that your house has been entered so you can take appropriate action. As far as safes are concerned, the 1st rule, BOLT IT TO THE FLOOR!!!!!!, #2. Get one that has outside hinges so you can take the door off and reduce the weight of it by 25%, it will be much more manageable when your moving it. #3 Get a safe that weighs between 400 and 600 pounds and has at least 1 and quarter inch bolts, ideally 1 and half inch bolts. If you have your home burgalrized by inept criminals, neighbors, kids etc you will be ok . but if someone who knows what there doing gets in there they can empty your safe , any safe in 10 or 15 minutes. I won't say on here how but i know how! You need to know as soon as some one gets INTO YOUR HOUSE. Oh yeah, Internet protocol cameras sent directly to a secure web site just as insurance. Good luck and remember VOTE AMERICAN!!!!!
Old September 30, 2012, 11:13 PM   #11
a1abdj

Quote:
. but if someone who knows what there doing gets in there they can empty your safe , any safe in 10 or 15 minutes.
That's not entirely accurate. There are plenty of safes out there that even a fully equipped professional couldn't get into in twice that time.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:20 AM   #12
sincentral

You have to KNOW when your house has been entered!

A safe buys you time, and time is the burgalars enemy. You MUST have a cellular warning system. If you want to enhance the security of a safe , drywall it in place with metal studs AND have a burglar bomb in there to really make him pay!!!! HAHAHA!!!
Old October 1, 2012, 08:23 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

A burglar bomb?

If that's what I think it is, it could be construed to be a booby trap, and those can get you in an awful lot of trouble.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 1, 2012, 11:41 AM   #14
a1abdj

Quote:
If that's what I think it is, it could be construed to be a booby trap, and those can get you in an awful lot of trouble.
I don't know if that's a brand name of any particular device, but the times I have heard that term, they were talking about a pepper spray dispenser that sits on top of the safe. You should be OK with that in most states.

There are still several older safes in use that have tear gas vials installed behind the lock. Beating on the safe will activate it, and based on my personal experience, is much more nasty than pepper spray.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:34 PM   #15
mitchntx

Moving a safe ...

Tip it over a couple inches, throw 4 or 5 golf balls under it and you can move it with one hand.

works on vinyl, wood, carpet ...
Old October 1, 2012, 05:50 PM   #16
sincentral

yes, the burglar bomb is a very powerful pepper spray

I bought 2 of these from a guy who lives around lancaster,PA. He's on the internet and he advertises in the american rifleman or guns and ammo.It comes with a mount and spray can, I use 4lb test fishing line as the trip wire. It will make a room uninhabitable for about 2 hours. " The history of defeat in warfare can be summed up in 2 words, " To Late"....... General Douglas MacArthur.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:01 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK. I didn't know that's what those were called. I was thinking something along the lines of a flash bang.

I have heard of both the pepper and the mace.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:47 AM   #18
Belve

There are two laws regarding gun safe's.

Rule #1: No matter what size you get, it will be too small.

Rule #2: Regardless of what safe you have, the gun you want to shoot today will be in the back requiring you to unload the safe for today's shooting.

couldnt agree more i bought my safe just over a year ago and am realizing i should have bought the next size up.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:33 AM   #19
Stealth01

Quote:
Moving a safe ...

Tip it over a couple inches, throw 4 or 5 golf balls under it and you can move it with one hand.

works on vinyl, wood, carpet ...
That's why you bolt them to the floor!