The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 13, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Are we really a year round enthusiast

Quote:
"This topic is written for those hard core year round B/P enthusiast in mind."
What's wrong with shooting in the cold and snow? What better time to ask then in the heat of summer time.

Well, at first glance there's the obvious problem that some of us are not inclined to spend time in the cold air and chance ending up looking like Mr. Frosty. And than there are those who have health issue's. Not a good thing. So those of you who meet that first criteria, best stay inside, but those with current health issue's keeping you inside are more than welcome to leave a thread about earlier years when there were no issue's.

But the rest of us should have no fear of shooting in the reasonable cold and snow. Now I'm not talking here about a full scale blizzard or -30 below wind and air temps. There are some cold & snow conditions in which no human should be attempting anything, much less shooting. But if you'd have no problem walking out to the mailbox, or taking the dog for a walk down a street or sidewalk that's been shoveled of its snow and ice removed or melted, you should have no problem going shooting.

I would think part of your equipment needs to be a good leather possible bag that offers waterproof protection, or a good shooting box that keeps out the drifting and blowing snow. Perhaps ya'll have a better idea. Lets hear it.

After loading: I was thinking of getting and using a cow's knee over the hammer (and frizzen if it's a flintlock) when carrying in the snow but haven't done so yet. From what I've seen a cow's knee is a fairly large piece of waterproofed leather loosely shaped like a cup with two short thongs to tie under the trigger guard; it fits over the hammer in the nipple or touch hole area and keeps that critical area dry. They're available at any good Suttlery so I've been told.

After that cold /snowy outing. You do need to take care of your equipment, Condensation of course can be a major problem. My guns get thoroughly cleaned, dried and oiled after any shooting session.

So, what do you do? Stay dry inside and wish you could go shooting, or gather the gear, bundle up, and head out regardless?

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; July 13, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old July 13, 2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Hawg

I get an urge to go out and shoot in the cold now and then but all I have to do is go outside. I come right back in the house when it gets too cold. I will go hunting in cold for a few hours and if I'm in the woods when it starts raining I wont leave because of it but if it's raining before I leave the house I won't go.
Old July 13, 2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Roaddog

Yep, I shoot rite off the porch and load in the house. I shoot into the big snow pile and come spring I gather up all the balls and make new ones.
Old July 13, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
thallub

i hunt in all weather conditions. Few years ago i sat on a 5 gallon bucket over looking a wheat field for well over two hours while it sleeted, snowed and rained. i put on a new 209 primer about every 30 minutes. Just after the lightning started a big hog came in and i busted him. Field dressed the hog right there, loaded him and left, shivering badly.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
i put on a new 209 primer about every 30 minutes.
I use the same #11 cap I start with unless I shoot something.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Willie Sutton

"i put on a new 209 primer about every 30 minutes."

Whatever happened to the Civil War practice of dripping candle wax on your caps? ;-)

Good on you for sitting in the cold. Things done that way always feel like more of an accomplishment than things done with ease.

Willie

Old July 13, 2012, 12:54 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Fair weather warriors

The 19th Century soldiers called it feather bed soldiers.

I used to shoot in the winter, but winters in coastal California are mild compared to the North East or Midwest.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:57 PM   #8
thallub

Quote:
I use the same #11 cap I start with unless I shoot something.
Several years ago i had a very sorry experience after hunting in the rain for about three hours. A huge buck deer stopped right in the middle of the road i was walking. The gun had a long hangfire and the buck stepped into the bushes and was gone. If its raining i change out the cap frequently: The muzzle is always protected with a finger cot.
Old July 13, 2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Hawg

I've been out in some pretty hard downpours and haven't had a misfire yet because of a wet cap. (knock on wood)
Old July 13, 2012, 07:40 PM   #10
sltm1

I shoot in the winter, usually with a couple of die-hard bp fanatics for a day long shoot, including a fire and maybe some hooch and food, but by myself when the muse strikes me which is more likely. I only have to drive 5 miles to the foothills to shoot, usta be able to do it out in my back pasture (only 3 acres), but the place has grown in population so there's no real safe direction to shoot any more....crap!!
Old July 13, 2012, 08:37 PM   #11
North East Redneck

Not much cold weather shooting here in the Hills of Berkshire County, although, most hunting is done in cold weather. Both of my 209 guns (.50 Bolt Action CVA and 12 Gauge Tradtions Pursuit Pro) have never had a misfire due to wet primer, in rain or snow. I do make it a point to shield the action with a gloved hand, or cover it with my coat when sitting.
My .54 smooth bore Tradtions uses a stainless nipple and #11 CCI cap, never had a problem with it in any conditions. I do seal the muzzles with a wrap of electrical tape in nasty weather. Is this needed? Most likely not, but it makes me feel better.
Thought about putting a layer of thin plastic wrap over the capped nipple and using a trash bag tie to secure it, a little extra cleaning of melted plastic would be worth the venison in the freezer. Anyone done something similar?
Old July 13, 2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Willie Sutton

"Thought about putting a layer of thin plastic wrap over the capped nipple and using a trash bag tie to secure it, a little extra cleaning of melted plastic would be worth the venison in the freezer. Anyone done something similar? "

I point you to what I wrote above about the old practice of dripping a little candle wax on your cap to waterproof it...

Willie

Old July 13, 2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Andy Griffith

I don't mind snow, cold, cool or cold rain and wind at all...

The only time I won't go shooting blackpowder is when it gets above 95F outside. When sweat pours in glasses down your shirt just from toting guns from the car to the bench in the shade, I'm going home.

If you can shoot a muzzleloader in that kind of heat and above, you're a fanatic! I'll never be there!

Bring on the cold boys!!!
Old July 14, 2012, 12:16 AM   #14
Hawg

If you're not going to shoot above 95 degrees, around here you wont be shooting in the summer at all. Bore Butter and Crisco both turn into very thin liquids in a matter of seconds.

I use #11 CCI caps on my Hawken. I don't seal them with anything. I don't plug or seal the muzzle but I do keep it pointed down. I really don't see water getting past a tight, lubed patch but I just don't take the chance.
Old July 14, 2012, 03:21 PM   #15
North East Redneck

Willie-
Guess I missed your post the first time.
Old July 14, 2012, 04:13 PM   #16
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Redneck
I do seal the muzzles with a wrap of electrical tape in nasty weather. Is this needed? Most likely not, but it makes me feel better.
I also seal the muzzle during the winter deer season. If snow or water drips into the bore and it turns to ice then that can cause an obstruction which can blow the barrel. At least that's what happens to centerfire rifles.
Plus the seal protects the bore from getting filled with snow or mud if taking a spill while hunting, and from condensation and/or water seeping past the projectile and contaminating the powder.
Necessary or not, sealing the bore does makes me feel better too.

Last edited by arcticap; July 14, 2012 at 04:19 PM.