The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
AndrewC

S&W 5906 or SIG SP2022?

I know that sounds like an odd combination, so here's what happened.

I listed one of my guns for trade on a local forum, and listed a few that I would prefer to get in return. Both aforementioned guns, the 5906 and 2022, were in that list. So now I have 2 people willing to trade, and I'm having a tough time with the decision. I'm aware of the weight differences and all that jazz, and I would carry either to be honest, so I guess this is the real dilemma;

If I get the SIG, I could still get a used 5906 in decent condition for -$400.
Buuuut, it is a LNIB 5906, and I think the opportunity to get even the used ones for -$400 is closing. People are snatching them up everywhere and before you know it they'll be sought after collectors items going for $450.

So that's where I am haha. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, both are 9mm.
Old June 24, 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Let's be realistic. You are gonna get both eventually. You are right that good to excellent condition 5906 pistols are drying up. Beaters can be found easy. A nice one still pops up on gunbroker or gunsamerica every now and again.

That said I think the SP2022 is a great option and would serve u well.

It is a hard choice. I do think the SP2022 might be more versatile. While the 5906 is awesome it is heavy as hell. To me it is more of a collector piece. Worth owning if u can get a great deal or are into getting a wide assortment.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 24, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3
willmc33

5906!!!!!!!!!

My 5906 is one of the best firearms I own. It has been completely reliable and has outshot my friends SP2022 in both our hands. Both are good pistols but to me the 5906 is just a nicer more well put together pistol. Thats why I bought one. Highly reccomend the 5906. Reliable, all stainless, good double action pull, exceptional single action pull, great looking, accurate..and did I mention reliable? Whats not to like. The 5906 isnt being made anymore and hasnt been for many years if you can get a LNIB one no better time to get it then now.New SP2022's are all over and not hard to get at all. Another thing to consider is that when they were new the 5906 was one of Smith & Wessons best guns and if you run out of ammo you can definately use it as a club to finish the job

Last edited by willmc33; June 24, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old June 24, 2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

Um, 5906 or a SP2022??? They are in different classes.

If it were a 5906 and a P226 (older), then it would comparable. 5906 or SP2022? 5906 hands down.
Old June 24, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5
RC20

I would get the 5906 first as well. You won't likely find another shot at one at that price. It would be like passing on a PPK.

I own a Sig SP2022, great gun, but its not going to ever have that cachet or functioning quite like the Smith does.

The SP2022 will be there when you are ready or able to buy and the price will not be going up.
Old June 25, 2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Marquezj16

^^^^this^^^^^

I'm a fan of the SP2022 but I would gladly pick up a 5906 first because they are not made anymore.
Old June 25, 2012, 05:09 PM   #7
WVsig

There is nothing collectible about a 5906. There are so many of these guns on the used market today. They VG to excellent guns can be found for as little as $300. If you are going to shoot the gun it has little to no collector value anyway.

Get whichever one you like better. There will be tons of both of them around for a long time.
Old June 25, 2012, 09:37 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
There is nothing collectible about a 5906.
Well, maybe not. It could be one of the matte Melonite finished 5906M "Military" versions, the relatively uncommon 5906TSW with the tac rail, or particularly one of the rare "Super 9" 9x19mm / 9x23mm Largo / .356TSW boxed sets.

I will concede the point that an ordinary M5906 won't ever be a high-buck collectible. However, S&W isn't making them any more. The supply of LNIB examples is naturally going to decrease and prices WILL go up.
Old June 25, 2012, 09:54 PM   #9
WVsig

Right but if you intend to actually shoot the pistol it is not going to stay LNIB is it?
Old June 25, 2012, 10:33 PM   #10
shuler13

Coin flip. I have owned both an love both. I would give the edge to the 2022 for pleasure of shooting. But that is a mighty fine edge. Can't go wrong.
Old June 25, 2012, 10:50 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
There is nothing collectible about a 5906.
I think the definition of what is collectible is up to the owner and can vary from person to person. While I would agree that a 5906 might never yield a large return one day, I do think they could be considered part of a collection. For instance, if someone was looking to own a handgun collection with a lot of iconic pieces, and I think the 5906 is iconic. There are countless standard 1911s and Browning Hi Powers and CZ 75Bs out there. But to me each is iconic and worthy of a place in a collection even if just simply as representative of the type.

Quote:
They VG to excellent guns can be found for as little as $300.
A quick check on gunbroker does yield a lot of nice guns for ~ $300 - $400. I have seen LNIB models go for close to $500. But you're right that availability isn't a major issue at this point.
Old June 26, 2012, 02:01 AM   #12
Stringfellow

TunnelRat, I couldn't agree with you more: I have my 1911, CZ75, and Hi Power, and eventually will get a 5906.

The SIG 2022 is considered a fine pistol and a bit of a bargain. If I were employed in a profession that warranted open carry, it would be a better choice than the 5906. But I am not. And in my civilian life, a few extra ounces of weight means nothing at the range, beside my bed, or when dry firing. That, along with the pride of ownership of having a classic steel pistol, would make the 5906 an easy choice for me.
Old June 26, 2012, 07:40 AM   #13
Onward Allusion

Standard 5906 pistols are going to be rare.......someday.....like 20+ years down the road. But hey, they are great solid guns that will eat anything - including empty cases. Really, empty cases...

The TSW series pistols, on the other hand, have been creeping up in value - even the police trade-ins. Personally, I don't buy 'em for their collectability or their ability to appreciate. I have 'em because they are a dying breed. They're solid stainless steel and are as accurate as many of the custom jobs - for somewhere around 1/4 of the price.
Old June 26, 2012, 08:24 AM   #14
JWT

A very clean used 5906 was the first semi auto I purchased.. Still have it and still love shooting it. Built like a tank, accurate, recoil negligible.

If the 5906 is in that great of condition I'd definitely go for it. Lots of beat up ones around, the good ones are becoming more scarce.
Old June 26, 2012, 09:11 AM   #15
WVsig

Quote:
I think the definition of what is collectible is up to the owner and can vary from person to person. While I would agree that a 5906 might never yield a large return one day, I do think they could be considered part of a collection. For instance, if someone was looking to own a handgun collection with a lot of iconic pieces, and I think the 5906 is iconic. There are countless standard 1911s and Browning Hi Powers and CZ 75Bs out there. But to me each is iconic and worthy of a place in a collection even if just simply as representative of the type.
I agree they are worth owning or "collecting" in that manner but I do not believe that is what the OP is suggesting. He is talking about the gun becoming a "collector" and it appreciating. I personally do not see that happening there are simply too many of them in the marketplace.

Quote:
A quick check on gunbroker does yield a lot of nice guns for ~ $300 - $400. I have seen LNIB models go for close to $500. But you're right that availability isn't a major issue at this point.
I hear what you are saying about LNIB but I have seen them locally in the $300 range. I need another full sized 9mm like I need a hole in my head LOL so I do not buy them.

Also unless you are looking to collect this gun not shoot it LNIB is very overrated. The reality is that the biggest market for these guns was the LEO market. Most of the VG to excellent examples I have seen were LNIB in terms of internals. They were carried but never shot.
Old June 26, 2012, 10:01 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Also unless you are looking to collect this gun not shoot it LNIB is very overrated. The reality is that the biggest market for these guns was the LEO market. Most of the VG to excellent examples I have seen were LNIB in terms of internals. They were carried but never shot.
I would agree. I picked up a VG condition 5903 from gunbroker some time back. It was in great shape and only cost me $400 all said and done (though the alloy frame models can be harder to find). For some reason I don't see the 59 series often around me.

A number of the models I saw on gunbroker looked great and were only $350. Usually the most beat up part is the rubber grip and that can be replaced easily enough.
Old June 26, 2012, 10:39 AM   #17
WVsig

Yeah the only S&W autoloader I currently own is this one... It is a 3914 Ladysmith. It has some well earned carry wear but internally it is pristine. The wear does not go beyond the finish surface. I might have it refinished in Black T down the road.

Old June 26, 2012, 10:43 AM   #18
TunnelRat

Niice . I made the mistake some time ago on passing on a great looking 5904. The blued models are definitely nice.

I hear from a lot of people that the smaller third gen Smiths make good carry guns.
Old June 26, 2012, 01:53 PM   #19
Viper99

I would take the 5906 because it is going to be hard to find them LNIB. The Sig you can get later.

But in reality, you win both ways as they are both great guns.
Old July 5, 2012, 04:22 PM   #20
dgludwig

Future collectable value aside, in terms of its general utility as a self-defense pistol, my choice between the two options is the Model 5906. Many, if not most, serious, experienced shooters consider Smith "third generation" pistol variants to be extremely reliable, well-built and plenty accurate. That has certainly been my experience.
Old July 5, 2012, 09:37 PM   #21
mrbentley57

I have 2 5906's. Actually one and one on the way. The one I have is a minty 1st year gun from 1989. It's not only a tank it's a real tack driver. Of all my semi auto 9's (I have 12) I take the 5906 with me to the range almost every time I go. Guess what my answer is
Old July 6, 2012, 05:34 AM   #22
10mm4ever

Not even close, 5906. But I'm admittedly not a fan of sintered metal and plastic and I rate the 3rd gen Smiths right up there with likes of the Beretta 92FS, w. german SIGS and CZ75 family. They were by far, the best mass produced semi-autos ever produced by Smith.
Old July 8, 2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Marquezj16

I shot my brother-in-laws 5904 last Friday. It is a good pistol. Trigger was ok. It's ok compared to my 92 FS or my wife's XDm. My wife did not like the trigger at all. It was ok accuracy wise. Everyone had better or easier time being accurate with the other pistols.

Tags
2022 , 5906 , 9mm , s&w , sig