The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 1, 2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Old Clare

H & I 44 Cal. Shotgun

My Dad handed down this little shotgun to me years ago. It is Harrington & Richardson - Pat. 1901 - single shot, break top, smooth bore, no model # or name. It says 44 cal. on the barrel.
I have only three of the original shells left. Thay are marked "Western 44 XL" with a green waxpaper like cover over the shot, and a brass shellcase.
Because these have not been available for many years, my dad had it bored out to take the short 410 shotshell. I, and later my sons, have hunted with this gum for years and it works just fine.
I have never seen another, although I have read about a few being around.
Any one else got one ??
Old Clare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031.JPG (83.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (40.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (41.0 KB, 61 views)
Old December 1, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Scorch

Too bad you opened up the chamber. H&R 44 GameGetters are hard to find.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Judging by what I've seen at some shows over the years, those shells are worth probably between $15 and $20 (or more) a piece.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Old Clare

I agree, but my dad did it before I got the gun. I never heard it refered to as "Game Getter". Where does that name come from ??

Old Clare
Old December 1, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
30-30remchester

What you have was commonly known as a garden gun. I ASSUME these were used close to or in cities to protect the garden. With their smaller shot load this always seemed a reasonable explination for the garden gun name. These guns would also chamber the long discontinued 2" 410 shell IIRC. The "gamegetter" name I believe was invented and meant for the Marbles Game Getter survival - trapping gun built @ the early 1900's. The ammunition was either loaded with the shot capsules like the ones pictured or a 44 caliber round ball load. There was 3 different colored shot capsules, each color indicated a different size shot. I have in my collection blue, red and green shot capsules. I can not recall which color meant which shot size. I find these shot and ball cartridges fairly often at gun shows and I dont believe I paid more than a couple bucks apiece at most.
Old December 2, 2011, 01:50 AM   #6
Old Clare

Thanks for all the info, guys. I was never able to learn anything about this gun until now. While I know that it is not a valuable gun, I treasure it because it was my dads and my oldest son is starting to ask me about it. He will hopefully pass it down someday. I own and have owned many guns but a few are meant to be kept forever with those who will appreaciate them.

Old Clare
Old December 2, 2011, 05:25 PM   #7
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

Old Clare,
You have an H&R Model 1905, small frame hammer gun. They were in production from circa 1906 'til 1915-16. They were also offered in .410 (2 1/2") 14mm, 12mm, 28 ga and 32 ga. The metric versions being European designations for shot shells similar to the .410. I've also seen ONE example stamped for the .45-70 shot shell.

IMG_2295.jpg