The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 18, 2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Ignition Override

FR8/CETME post sights: vertical shot string.

Even though it is my second FR8, today it was a lousy day at the bench from 50 yards (bright sun, light breeze).

The front post is rotated/elevated as high as it can be held by the set screw (and to the right of center).
The 400-yard aperture was used.

Do the more seasoned iron sight guys (or gals) put the post tip over the bullseye, or prefer to put the tip under the bottom edge etc?

Trying to use the post's tip to cover the bottom half of the bullseye part of the time makes it very hard to determine if it is just halfway.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 19, 2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old November 19, 2011, 04:53 PM   #2
chiefr

I could not turn the front sight on my CETME at all even with the correct tool, seemed like the little booger was welded in place. IMHO the CETME sights are the worse I have ever shot thru. Far to vague for me. I could not get groups even with a rest with such poorly engineered sights. I ended up buying a scope and mount from Cheaper than Dirt which corrected all my problems. I now get respectable groups.
Old November 19, 2011, 05:10 PM   #3
amd6547

The sights are quirky, but once they are adjusted, they work fine. I prefer the six o'clock hold.
This target was fired standing, offhand at 100yds, ten shots...
Old November 20, 2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Ignition Override

chiefr: The only way that those tiny set screws were loosened was to let WD-40 soak in for about an hour or so.

amd6547: That is superb shooting, and would be nice for some of us from a bench rest.
Old November 20, 2011, 01:15 PM   #5
amd6547

Thanks. The ammo used was the South African surplus ball that used to be available cheap in battle packs. $35 for 200rds, I think.
I recently sold that CETME due to the high cost of 7.62 NATO ammo. I just couldn't afford to shoot it anymore.
Old November 20, 2011, 06:09 PM   #6
chiefr

Ign Overide: I did try WD 40 to no avail. I broke the correct site tool trying to adjust windage and could not turn it even with a hardened scribe. The aperture, of the rear sight, presents too wide a sight picture for me with the 100 meter site. In fact, it is like looking thru a set of goal posts, for me anyway. Trying to keep the same sight picture with the 100 meter site is futile.
My Cetme does quite well rotating in the peep sites if I adjust for elevation at 100 yds. I got tired of this and scoped my rifle.
With a 4-9x scope and reloads, I get respectable groups.
Old November 20, 2011, 07:58 PM   #7
amd6547

The group Shown in the pic was fired with the 200 yd aperture with the front sight zeroed for 100yds. The open notch 100yd sight, I considered useful as a battle sight for zero to 100yds, and it worked well for that...I found that at close range, I could just drop the circular front sight hood into the open rear sight notch, and put it on what I wanted to shoot...it was very fast.