The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 29, 2000, 01:15 PM   #1
45automan

Hey guys I'am looking for a good flashlight for CCW. I keep a Maglite 3 D cell model in my car. It's bright but to big and heavy to carry around. What do you guys recomend? Also are the high end lights poweredby regular batteries or lithium cells,something else maybe?Thanks for your help,45automan
PS whta do the good ones cost?
Old November 29, 2000, 01:43 PM   #2
HarryB

I would go with the SureFire 6. Blindingly bright, can be held in the support hand while firing, and easily carried in a pocket or a a holster. I have a Blade Tech mag carrier that holds a 1911 mag and the SureFire. Some balk at the price of batteries, but for its purpose (not a general purpose light) its hard to beat.
Old November 29, 2000, 01:54 PM   #3
Mikul

The SureFires kick asp! They are the brightest flashlights for the size which is perfect if you need to kill someone's night vision, but serious overkill for simply lighting up a parking lot. They're also built well out of a decent guage of aluminum and o-ring seals.

The SureFire 3P is smaller than the 6P ,uses only one lithium cell, and is bright enough for most purposes. However I love my 6P even though I find it too big to carry around all of the time.

BTW, lithium batteries have so many advantages that they are becoming popular with many different products. Thanks to economies of scale, the prices are coming down too.
Old November 29, 2000, 02:10 PM   #4
CANIS

My Surefire 6P with the high intensity lamp (120 lumens I think?) makes for a great little carry flashlight. Good for taking walks in the evening and small enough to carry in the pocket if necessary. I keep a 5 D cell maglight in my Jeep and a 6 D cell maglight next to the bed. They make WONDERFUL bludgeons if I don't feel the need to shoot instead!

Chris Canis
Old November 29, 2000, 02:26 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Moving to Gear and Accessories...
Old November 29, 2000, 03:34 PM   #6
mikey357

Sure-Fire is a good one, no doubt...but kinda pricey. One thing I DON'T like about the Sure-Fire is that its got a momentary-contact switch and in order to "leave it on" you have to use two hands to "screw in" the switch retainer[or whatever they call it]. Personally, I like the Streamlight "Scorpion"...less expensive than the Sure-Fire, can be operated with one hand[momentary-contact OR on 'til you turn it off] AND its rubber-coated for a non-slip grip. Mrs. 3-5-7 and I have been using them for five or six years...had to replace several batteries, but only burned out ONE bulb...we've even given 'em as gifts, that's how much WE think of 'em!!!....mikey357
Old November 29, 2000, 05:17 PM   #7
JohnO

What are you guys using to carry your Surefire's in? I tried the Wilson leather pouch, but found it too bulky for concealed carry. A nice light, thin, nylon case would be good. Know of any?
Old November 29, 2000, 05:45 PM   #8
tony.s

I like my Streamlight Scorpion! The light is nearly identical to my Maglight 3D but soooo much smaller & lighter. As for carrying, I just slip it into my jacket's pocket. (I have received some comments about the amount of stuff on my belt as it is... ) I like the rubber coating on my Scorpion, makes for a nice, secure grip plus it's much better to hold in my mouth (when working with both hands) than a metallic frame light.
Old November 29, 2000, 06:25 PM   #9
BILLG

Sure Fire 6 Z is a great light. BILLG
Old November 29, 2000, 06:48 PM   #10
twist996

streamlight scorpion...

armorer asked me why i didn't have a real flashlight, and i told him maglite was all i needed...boy was i wrong...well worth the $50 and the expensive batteries...if anything, too powerful for close up work (working on dark engines or close up wiring in the dark) but great for anything else...toss those maglite's in the trashcan, and get a scorpion...
Old November 29, 2000, 08:00 PM   #11
Ledbetter

Scorpion here too.

IMHO, the Scorpion is as bright as the Surefire 6, is about $15 cheaper and bulbs cost about 1/3 as much to replace because you only replace the bulb itself. I mounted one on my Mossberg and fired about 25 slugs and 50 rounds of #8 shot with no problems from shock or recoil. No lanyard mount, but you can add one with the right adhesive (Marine Goop). Thin nylon case either comes with or is optional, I forget which, but mine came with one. Not trendy, though.

Regards.

Old November 30, 2000, 12:30 AM   #12
mib2000

Here are some ideas

For CCW? I like the Surefire 3P. It puts out quite a powerful beam.

If I'm carrying my Glock 26 rig, I put the 3P in a Mitch Rosen Speir Off-Side, which is a leather combo mag/flashlight carrier:

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...duct_line.html

Blade-Tech makes a similar, less-expensive rig out of Kydex. Check out their Web site.

If I'm carrying a J-frame in a pocket holster, the 3P is small enough and light enough to simply slip in a pocket ... coat, jeans, pants ... the 3P is comfortable in all of those. Clip on the Spyderco Delica, stash some pepperspray and good to go.

I like small, lightweight and powerful -- can you tell?

I have a Surefire 6Z in the lockbox at home next to my Glock 35 pistol. Both of these necessary items of survival/rescue equipment are bigger, more powerful and heavier -- since I don't have to tote them around hidden on my person for hours at a time.

BTW, the 6Z's rubber rings really aid in gripping, whether using my preferred "cigar" grip, aka Surefire-Rogers technique, or the under-the-shooting-hand Harries grip.

This is what works for me. Hope it helps, or at least gives you some ideas or considerations.

Old November 30, 2000, 02:24 AM   #13
Justin Moore

Just curious, but has anyone here check out the new SureFire "Centurion" model?

-JLM