The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 14, 2010, 03:10 PM   #1
suzukibruce

was a law broken?

so i bought a pre99 iver johnson .32 off of gunbroker and got home a few days later and had a note on my door left by the mailman that i have a package at the post office. not thinking that i was a gun, i went to pick it up. i got to the post office got the package and went tover to the counter to see what it was and opened it, wammo! out falls a revolver and a heck of alot of packing pnuts... luckily i got the revolver back in the box before anyone noticed and left...soo.... was a law broked since this is an antique and doesnt classify as a firearm or what?
Old May 14, 2010, 04:18 PM   #2
sixgun67

If it were me, I"d make darn sure of the date of manufacture of the gun, and then look up the cut off date for antiques.
In my dealings, I've never had a firearm go USPS--If I'm not mistaken, modern long guns may be shipped USPS, but not modern handguns. The USPS may have policies with regards to shipping any handgun in general, but I don't know. If I'm wrong guys, please correct me. I have no idea about antiques. I feel sure somebody will be along shortly that has more knowledge than me....
Old May 14, 2010, 05:22 PM   #3
ncpatriot

I think a licensed gun dealer can us USPS. Others have to use UPS or other private carrier. Best I know, I may be wrong. Puts you in a bad place though, as you are not allowed to have a firearm in the PO. Lucky no one saw it.
Old May 14, 2010, 05:35 PM   #4
NavyLT

1. From the Domestic Mail Manual:
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#8_0

Quote:
g. Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

11.2 Antique Firearms

Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6.
The possession of the firearm on post office property was not in violation of 39 CFR 232.1 because the gun itself was there for the official purpose of mailing it.
Old May 14, 2010, 05:38 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Licensed dealers can use USPS to send handguns back and forth to each other, but not to the end customer. Not even to a licensed collector. HOWEVER, if the pistol is really an antique, the feds do not consider it to be a gun and this was probably legal. (doesn't mean you might not have been arrested anyway)

added: Notice the punctuation in the regulation posted above. Restrictions 1 and 2 only apply to replicas, not actual antiques. So a 1st generation Colt made before 1899 is still an antique even tho' it uses a modern centerfire cartridge.
Old May 16, 2010, 02:23 AM   #6
Head-Space

An antique firearm is considered a "firearm" as is a BP replica. The defining criteria is "projectile launched by burning propellant." -- words to that effect.

I was thinking BP guns were not subject to CCW laws. They are.

My understanding of the USPS is that NO firearms are allowed for mailing/shipping. It's not lawful to bring a firearm (and that means a receiver), onto post office premises.

You can ship gun parts, barrels, grips, hammers, bolts, sights, stocks, magazines. No receivers. My understanding is that even FFL cannot use USPS to ship firearms. You use FexEx or UPS.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:58 AM   #7
paull

My misunderstanding of the USPS is that NO firearms are allowed for mailing/shipping.

FTFY.

See the posts above yours.

p