The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2009, 02:27 AM   #1
emcon5

Powder and Primers: How old is this stuff?

Friend of a friend getting out of shooting gave me a bunch of reloading stuff a few years back, including several pounds of powder and about 1500 primers.

Anyone want to hazard a guess to how old these are?

Yes, evidently he bought the IMR for $3.50 per pound, and the Hodgdon for $2.85. The Hodgdon containers are both some sort of cardboard, (reminds me of the old style motor oil cans) the IMR is metal, similar to what was available a few years ago.

The powder still has the sweet solvent smell, similar to other powders I have purchased recently. It has no "irritating acidic odor" which Alliant says to look for, and still appears black and shiny.

I must admit a temptation to use some of it for low powered plinking ammo for milsurp bolt rifles.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMR_hodgdon.jpg (78.4 KB, 1155 views)
File Type: jpg pistol_primers.jpg (75.2 KB, 981 views)
Old September 27, 2009, 06:11 AM   #2
markshere2

I'd try it!

Open cans - Heck Yeah! load 'em and try 'em

Sealed cans....... Dunno - might be worth more to a "Collector"

Definitely save the cans after you dispose of the contents. I hope all the contents shoot good for you.
Old September 27, 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
jepp2

I have some from the same era I am currently loading with. Mine came from the late 60's and early 70's.

Check the powder for acid smell (don't confuse solvent with acid) before you use it. You can also pour some on white paper and check for red dust. These would indicate the powder is breaking down and should not be used.
Old September 27, 2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'd say that all of that stuff is from the 1960s to the 1970s.

IMR used that powder can style for close to 40 years.

Look at the company addresses on the backs of the cans.

Those that have a zip code are most likely post 1963, any that don't have a zip code are pre 1963, although the zip code wasn't mandatory until 1967.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 27, 2009, 01:04 PM   #5
jimkim

I have some powder from the same era. My Hodgdon BL-C(2) was bought around 1970. I call those Hodgdon cans Nestle Quick cans. My Dupont powder is identical to yours. Mine was bought in '74. I don't really know when it was made. All of mine is still fresh.

I just went back and looked. My can of BL-C(2) is multicolored. It looks just like the can on the cover of Speer #9. I'm thinking now, your hodgdon powder may be way older than I first thought.

Last edited by jimkim; September 27, 2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old September 27, 2009, 02:28 PM   #6
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin
Those that have a zip code are most likely post 1963, any that don't have a zip code are pre 1963, although the zip code wasn't mandatory until 1967.
Interesting. The IMR powdres do not have an address, they just say:

"Manufactured by E.I. Du Pont De Nemours & Co, INC Wilmington Delaware, USA"

The Hodgdon cans do have an address, but no zip code. The Hercules cans do have a zip code. The lot numbers on the IMR and Hercules cans are illegible, but the Hodgdon cans do have some numbers stamped, "68HSDC" (on the H4227) and "69A DC" (on the BL-C). I suppose that could mean they were made in 1968 and 1969, but if that is the case they would probably show Zip Codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkim
I call those Hodgdon cans Nestle Quick cans.
Exactly, they are just like the old Nestle Quick cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkim
I just went back and looked. My can of BL-C(2) is multicolored.
Thanks for checking.

Unfortunately I can't think of any way to check if the Primers are still good except to load them. I am only considering using the CCI ones from the green box, the packaging looks brand new.

There were a bunch of boxes of bullets as well, plus a bunch of .243 brass, with Norma and Herters headstamps.

I wish I could find Sierra bullets for $4-5. The Norma box was the only thing that was beat up in any way.

Of course now I need to buy a 7mm rifle to shoot up these free bullets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bullets.jpg (70.0 KB, 1751 views)
Old September 27, 2009, 03:56 PM   #7
snuffy

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't think of any way to check if the Primers are still good except to load them. I am only considering using the CCI ones from the green box, the packaging looks brand new.
I probably have some primers that are older than you, they still work just fine. Same for the powder. I have some of the presto pop hercules square cans that still have good powder in them.

That's quite a nice gift. There's a guy at work that keeps threatening to bring me " some kinda shotgun powder," some shot and wads, but I haven't seen it yet.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 27, 2009, 06:02 PM   #8
jimkim

I posted the pictures on G&G. There was a guy on there that said the prices on the cans were consistent with what he paid for powder in 1954. I don't know if that helps, but there it is anyway.

My can of BL-C(2) looks like this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old cans of powder.JPG (38.3 KB, 43 views)
Old September 27, 2009, 06:24 PM   #9
koolminx

ZIP codes weren't standard on packaging until the 1980's
Old September 27, 2009, 07:38 PM   #10
goldfacade

I just loaded up 1000 small pistol primers that had the same box as yours(CCI). Bought them at a yard sale, the gentleman said he purchased them in hte mid 70's. Had 2 duds out of 1000, not bad for $10
Old September 30, 2009, 03:41 AM   #11
ballardw

I loaded some 38 and 45 with Bullseye and Unique from canisters like the ones you show. My dad had bought them in the early to mid 60's. I expect them to go bang just fine, but I know where they've been since leaving the store.

I think the red and blue CCI primer boxes were also early 60's.
Old October 21, 2009, 10:33 AM   #12
emcon5

Update

Update:

Did some loading last week and tried them out Sunday. I used some of the 4320 and 4895 over the CCI primers in .303 British, and results were OK. It went "bang" every time, with no unusual behavior, except some vertical stringing with the 4320, but I was using a fairly light load. It wasn't particularly accurate, but the rifle was new to me, and I don't know if it was the rifle or the load (or both).

I also used some 4350 from the same source in my 6.5 Swede, and it shot great, but with Winchester primers (Don't you love finding a ziplock full of primed cases you forgot you had )

I need to try the old CCI primers in the Swede, find out if the accuracy holds.

Thanks again,
Old October 21, 2009, 12:34 PM   #13
Malamute

I've bought the short square Bullseye and Unique cans for $2 to $5 each, empty. Don't pitch them! Many guys like the old IMR powder cans also, since they went to the round plastic ones. There are probably worth a couple bucks each empty at a gun show or wherever. If unopened and sealed, they may be worth more than a new can, I don't know for sure what they are worth. I have bought new sealed old powder of similar vintage to yours for less than new powder, with the intention of using it up.

Primers should be good. If in doubt, use them for plinking loads. I've had a few primer failures in fresh lots.