The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 25, 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
jester37

Need info on a Remington 22 Rifle Model 521-T

Trying to find out year of manufacturing. This is a magazine fed bolt action
22 S,L or LR rifle. It has holes in the forearm that is possibly for mounting a sling or bipod. Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 29, 2009, 10:13 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Remington 521T was the company's low level target rifle; it was called the "Junior Special" and sold at a price intended to be within the budget of high school rifle teams (yes, there were such things!). The holes in the foreend are probably for a sling or for one of several other accessories, like a hand stop or a palm rest. Remington's top line small bore target rifle was the Model 37 and later the Model 40. Next down came the 513T, then the 521T. Both used the basic 500 series action, but had target sights, heavy barrels, and improved triggers. The "T" of couse indicated a target variation with target sights.

The 521 was made from 1947 to 1968, with the "T" added in 1958; serial numbers were not used until 1954. Value in top condition runs around $400. They are still excellent small bore target rifles and good for training.

Jim
Old September 30, 2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

"With the T added in 1958"

I don't think that's correct.

I have my Father's 521-T, which he bought new in 1949 or 1950, when he was 14 or 15. Somewhere around here I have the bill of sale.

The barrel is distinctly marked 521-T, and the barrel code is PTT.

According to this website: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/ques...ACKPOWDERX.htm, Dad's 521-T was manufactured in June of 1948.

Dad's gun also has no serial number.

To the best of my knowledge, Remington never offered palm rests for the 521. The 7-position rail on the forearm is for mounting the sling swivel and was to allow it to be adjusted for the arm span of the shooter.

As sold, the 521-T came with a 1" leather military style sling and a Lyman 57RS apeture sight.

I learned to shoot on Dad's 521. It was, and still is, extremely accurate.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.