The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 22, 2009, 09:48 AM   #1
flingled

Parker Bros. 12 ga., what is it?

Hey Guys,
I'm hoping you can help me out on this.
My Father-in-law has a Parker Bros. 12 ga. and I was wanting to know a little about it, to include what it is worth.

Serial =106706
Frame size-on bottom lug on barrel= 2E
water table marks = D c 4 1
it is hammerless

I looked some stuff up and might be PH(E) or VH(E)
That is just me guessing though.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

-Charles
Old September 22, 2009, 11:33 AM   #2
darkgael

Parker

That serial # was manufactured in 1901.
If no one comes through here with other info, try the Parker Collectors assoc.
http://www.parkerguns.org/
The frame size is 2. The grade of the gun should be found near the serial number on the water table. The D could be the grade.
4-1 is the weight of the barrel.
If it is a DH, an older Blue book lists a DH at 60% at $1850.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; September 22, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old September 22, 2009, 02:47 PM   #3
PetahW

If your shotgun is extractors-only, it is a DH grade; if it has selective fired shell ejectors , it's a DHE grade - look for the split separating them just below/between the chamber rears.
If there's a separate extractor/ejector for each chamber, the gun has ejectors, if a single piece serves both chambers at once, it's a non-ejector.

The #2 sized frame was Parker's "normal" sized frame for 12ga guns, with some lightweights having a slightly smaller framer ( 1 1/2 IIRC), and heavy/duck guns for magnum loads a larger/heavier frame.

The best value is arrived at by surfing closed/sold gun auctions sites for other Parker DH or DHE's in like condition.

Just like with real estate, value depends on location/location/location; gun value depends on condition/condition/condition - meaning the remaining % of original factory condition remaining, and not "good" or "excellent".

Parker values can have a LOT of multipliers - that you might not even be aware of, since you haven't mentioned any in your description - which also have an additional bearing on value.

Like: Does it have one ot two triggers ? What type forend ? What buttstock config ? Is the butt cut, a pad added, and/or the butt checkered from the factory ILO a buttplate ?

Last edited by PetahW; September 22, 2009 at 02:55 PM.