The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Trip20

Choosing Camo -- Traditional or Digital?

When you choose camo, do you choose traditional print, or digital print.

I'll be purchasing some accessories and gear in the near future and these items will be woodland camo. But they come in both traditional and digital print.

I'm wondering which pattern works best.

Digital is relatively new. But I don't want to choose digital just because it's new and the "in" thing to do. I also don't care which one is more pleasing to the eye asthetically. I'm only concerned about which one is the best at performing it's intended job.

Anyone with some insight here on what works best, I appreciate your input.

Regards.
Old August 2, 2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Chaingunner

My understanding is that digital camo is better because of the way the eye percieves shapes. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I guess it's working for the Marines, and the Army's following suit..I think the best thing to do would be to get two shirts; one in digital and one in traditional, and put them in amongst some foliage. Then, back off fifty yards or so and see which one is more visible.

My two cents.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old August 3, 2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Trip20

Not for identification. For hunting and general woods/bush use -- so concealment is the primary use. I'm trying to get all of my gear (both clothing and accessories) to match. I'm doing away with as much of my black gear as possible, and trying to get some uniformity.

The black stands out like a sore thumb in my opinion.

There is no difference in price between traditional or digital in most items. So I figure if digital works better in breaking up my pattern, then I'd start going with it in lieu of traditional woodland camo print.
Old August 3, 2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Anthony Terry

The outfitter camo out now is awesome for concealment in hardwoods. I like it better than realtree, mossy oak, or any other. It's just a camo pattern. Look at it in a cabela's book. It's my new choice. Mossy, realtree, etc., are just too dark to match the hardwoods here.
Old August 3, 2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Mannlicher

It is getting harder to find quality outdoors clothing that is NOT in camo. I still prefer muted browns, greens, and greys over camo.
When I do pretty much have to give in, and buy something in camo, I have gone with either USGI or Realtree.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 5, 2006, 02:01 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

I've never seen any digital that looks this realistic:

http://www.realtree.com/patterns/guide-classic.tpl

http://www.mossyoak.com/patterns/default.asp?id=6
Old August 5, 2006, 08:43 AM   #7
sparkysteve

Here in Michigan, I use Advantage timber in the early fall because it's more green and Mossy Oak Break-Up in the late fall and winter, because it's darker. It really depends on where you are hunting and what kind of cover you are hunting in. Just look through your Cabela's catalog and pick out what you think would match best.

Dont tread on me.
Old August 5, 2006, 08:47 AM   #8
johnbt

"The black stands out like a sore thumb in my opinion."

You could always smear some mud on it and then roll in the leaves. It would be cheaper. Okay, I vote traditional. I'm not sure, one way or the other, that how the human eye perceives digital camo pertains to hunting wildlife.

I only use camo for waterfowling and that's mostly because the really warm waterproof stuff mostly comes in camo. Waterproof enough to hunt in a boat in a nor'easter.

John
Old August 5, 2006, 06:38 PM   #9
Trip20

I ended up getting the Browning Gator Fleece parka, and pants. But, it's not my fault. I only went to Gander Mountain for ammunition.

When I walked in the front door, I was accosted by a blaze orange sign that said, “Take an additional 50% off the red-tag price!

It was as if the CEO of Gander Mountain stabbed me in the spine with an electrode, the other end of which led to a PlayStation 2 controller and an evil grin. I found the parka in XL, the pants in XL, and made my way to the counter where I selected my ammunition and paid for the whole mess.

Now that I’m home, SWMBO has dressed my stab wound (though, not very tenderly), and I’ve done some price checking on the ‘net, it looks like I got a decent deal. Got the pants for $60, and the parka for $75.

Seeing as how I’m going to begin bow hunting this year, I’m all set in the camo dept.

Last edited by Trip20; August 5, 2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old August 5, 2006, 09:23 PM   #10
johnbt

I thought anything with Browning on it ran $200 and up, so I had to look. I found the parka for $150 to $170 most places, and one outfit had it for $115 (if they really had it, you never know about cutrate dealers.)

I like fleece. I wear it under my insulated GoreTex parka and chest waders. Fast boat rides in the rain and snow are not my favorite thing to do at 5 a.m.

John
Old August 5, 2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Trip20

Yep, the prices were great. I'm sure it's because they're making room for the "new model" of whatever Browning releasing. This stuff isn't new to the market or anything.

It's in "New Mossey Oak Break Up". I was in the woods today right after my Gander trip (to shoot that ammo up). While in the parking area I compared the print to the surroundings. While it's obviously too green right now, the wood patterns in the Mossey Oak match well in the area I hunt.

Come mid-November when the temps are between 40 for a high and 20 for a low (averages), this warm suit should work out well.
Old August 6, 2006, 04:55 AM   #12
Doubletaptap

Next time you are in the woods, take that parka and hang it on a shrub or something and walk away without remembering where it is or looking at it. Maybe even make a erratic path from it instead of straight away.When you are a good distance away,say 25-50 yards, turn around and look for it. If you see it immediately, you're going to stand out a bit. Of course if you can't find it,either someone stole it ir the camo is perfect!!
Old August 6, 2006, 01:14 PM   #13
22-rimfire

For colder weather, I have been leaning toward the wool camo pattern that use a lot of brown. For warm weather such as in bow season, I would go with a more green dominant pattern. Depends where you are using it as always. Frankly, I think to much is made over camo patterns. Sometimes I think the various patterns are sold to make you "invisible" from people and not animals. Dark clothing still works. Regular blue jeans seem to be out due to the visibility of blue in the infarred spectrum (or is it ultraviolet?), but I wear camo "blue jeans/denim" sometimes as they are tough.
Old August 6, 2006, 06:43 PM   #14
hpg

pics man we need pics. hpg
Old August 6, 2006, 08:19 PM   #15
Trip20

Well here ya go my friend:

I'll have to remember not to lay in green grass while hunting. Well, technically this isn't really grass but that's another story.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0949.JPG (113.6 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0950.JPG (125.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0959.JPG (124.3 KB, 239 views)
Old August 11, 2006, 07:36 PM   #16
JBE

I use Prairie Ghost Camo and I also have a set of Desert Storm camo's.

More Prairia Ghost Photo's
Old August 11, 2006, 10:24 PM   #17
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I like the "MONBU" (mossy oak new breakup) at lot for eastern Oklahoma falls. It's one of the more realistic ones. Good show. Hard to beat an additional 50% off. I just spent almost $300 at Bass Pro an hour ago, at the Annual Fall Classic Hunting Sale, but got ML ramrod accessories, pair of 3-ply chest waders (Redhead BoneDry Hobbs Creek 600 gr thinsulate with Advantage Max 4), pair of non-insulated (early season) boots, another pair of boots (rubber), a doghouse blind, merino lambswool cold weather socks, some Rem Express CoreLokt reduced recoil .270 125 gr ammo, and a Browning ballcap.