The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 28, 2006, 04:57 PM   #1
subway

Pouches, the good, the bad and the rest...

I can't believe how much time I wasted trying to choose and purchase a pair of pistol mag pouches to carry spare 9mm mags for my Ruger carbine. Like any other newcomer to pistol ammo shooting (I only shot rifles before this), I didn't know anything about mags or mag pouches. The company with the biggest advertising budget usually wins in that type of situation, so I almost purchased some Blackhawk pouches. But then I read some forum posts about better gear by Eagle, Paraclete and others and kept looking around for some really nice pouches. (I don't want to ever think about this subject again, so I want the pouches to last until I hang up my guns.)

I almost purchased both Paraclete and Eagle pouches; both were very nice but the stores that listed them on their websites were out of them. Then I finally came across a brand that I hadn't heard of until earlier this week: High Speed Gear, or HSGI. I purchased two of their quad pistol mag pouches and they arrived yesterday. Another example of "you get what you pay for" as these suckers were not cheap, at almost $100 for the pair. But if the rest of the HSGI line is up to this level of quality, I'd be happy with any of their products.

The belt they are attached to is a cheap, Chinese made 5.11 Tactical belt that does NOT live up to the same quality level. (I can't always make the right choice....)

Last edited by subway; July 28, 2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old July 29, 2006, 08:36 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

I prefer the Safariland 079.

www.brownells.com
Old July 29, 2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Bender711

those look like nice ones.
Should have got them in tactical black.