The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 3, 2018, 05:44 PM   #1
Mike38

.32 mouse gun

My oldest daughter (32 yrs) is seriously considering a CCW pistol. Three children, No man in the house any more, and things are beginning to get a little crazy in our area. Drugs, home invasions, etc. She wants a 9mm for the home, and I may give her my Beretta 92FS for that. But she also wants to purse carry. What's the most reliable .32 auto pistol out there? I'm leaning to the Beretta Tomcat. She's leaning to the Kel-Tec because of the price. If the Kel-Tec is unreliable, I'll pitch in $100 to cover for the Beretta. So which is better, Beretta or Kel-Tec? Would like replies from people that have owned both if possible. .380 is another option I guess. Now to get her some training.
Old July 3, 2018, 05:47 PM   #2
HistoryJunky

Bill DeShivs will come in shortly and tell you about the Kel-Tec.

I had the p3at and no problems with that. I haven't shot the 32 version.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old July 3, 2018, 05:56 PM   #3
Sgt127

Please consider the Remington RM380. Cheap, reliable. Little bigger caliber. Locked breach, shoots well.

I own a lot of .32’s. The RM380 replaced them all as a drop in pocket gun.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:03 PM   #4
kymasabe

I had a P3AT and hated it, shooting it was like trying to hang onto an exploding credit card. After 2 trips back to Kel-Tec, I gave up on it. I later bought a Kel-Tec P32 and found that to be much more enjoyable to shoot. I pocket carried my Gen1 P32 for about 5 years until I wore the finish off the slide. I shot it often and put over 2000 rounds thru that little gun without any problems. I did experience rimlock with it once, but I was carrying/shooting hollowpoints and didn't have a rimlock kit in the magazine. Since then, I carried a Charter Arms revolver for a while, but went back to a P32. I now have a grey frame and parkerized slide Gen2 that I picked up at a pawn shop for $150 and it works great. I carry only FMJ in it, no worries about rimlock. This one has been flawless, eats everything I feed it, runs reliably. I don't own the Beretta, but I've shot one, they're very nice, I just can't afford one. My daughter recently got her carry permit and bought a Taurus TCP, immediately had to send it back for repair and Taurus only took 15 weeks to return it. While she was waiting, she bought a S&W Bodyguard, and my local pawn shop had another Gen2 P32 for $150, so I bought it for her, and of the three guns, she only carries the P32, likes it the most and has been the most reliable of the three. As a matter of fact, yesterday she traded the Taurus and the S&W in on a new Ruger SR22...and her home defense gun is a Beretta Nano 9mm. Anyway, there are some who are goin to tell you the Kel-Tec is an unrefined pile of crap and...well...that's not my experience, mine just runs and runs and runs without any problems.

SGT127 has a good suggestion. If you're considering a .380, take a serious look at the Remington RM380. I had one of those (and regret getting rid of it), is another gun that eats everything and I hadn't had any problems with, very easy to rack the slide, very easy to control, is alloy, not polymer so feels a little more substantial and only weighs about 2oz more than it's competitors. Nice little gun.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:03 PM   #5
HighValleyRanch

with Speers gold dots or Winchester FMJ my Seecamp has been 100% reliable and accurate.
You can find them used in the 450.00 range.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:05 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Right. We all carry Keltec P32s here. They are smaller/thinner/much lighter than the Beretta (I have one of those, too.)
The K/T is locked breech, and recoil is negligible. Beretta is blowback.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:30 PM   #7
MoArk Willy

For a .380, either the S&W .380 ez or the Sig .380.
The Smith and Wesson will be easier to handle albeit larger. Let her handle them first. If you can find a range that rents them let her do the shooting. I have guns I love that my wife hates. Does she already know how to shoot a gun? That should be the first step.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:45 PM   #8
rc

The 92 is a huge gun in my opinion. Many other guns may fit her hands better.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:49 PM   #9
rickmelear

Bill is correct
Old July 3, 2018, 06:51 PM   #10
ligonierbill

I know women carry everything in their purse, but think about it. What's the perp going to grab first? You can stash a P32 anywhere. And yes, I have one. It's been 100% reliable. Mostly carry a 9mm, but sometimes I can't conceal it well. Never couldn't find a place the the little 32.
Old July 3, 2018, 07:11 PM   #11
PSP

The .32acp Seecamp is an excellent pistol. It has it's quirks but reliability isn't one of them. If tiny and .32 are the requirements the Seecamp is a solid, all stainless choice. Though no tiny mouser may be the best option for a novice IMHO.

I suggest looking at a slightly larger, easier to handle pistol; the Beretta Pico because it has good sights, simple takedown and is easier, softer to shoot. Cheaper too, though that shouldn't be the main consideration.

There are many competent small guns available these days. Spend some time fondling some with your daughter.
Old July 3, 2018, 07:20 PM   #12
GarandTd

My RM 380 has proven extremely reliable with both fmj and hp rounds. It isn't unpleasant to shoot.
Old July 3, 2018, 08:11 PM   #13
Gary L. Griffiths

I carried a Kel-Tec P-32 for years with no issues. When premium defensive ammo became more available in .380 (Cor-Bon DPX) I switched to a Ruger LCP.

I would have her take a serious look at the LCP-II due to the shorter, lighter trigger-pull. FWIW, My P-32 was very reliable, but the LCP was the only gun I've ever owned that NEVER had a failure of any kind, regardless of the ammo or how tightly/loosely I held it.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 3, 2018, 08:43 PM   #14
Mike in Va.

If you are going with a .32ACP, check The North American Arms, Guardian.
It is All Stainless steel, & the barrel is fixed, so it should be more accurate
, than the Kel Tek. I have one, and it is easier to shoot than my Ruger LCP.
They sell for around $400.00.
Old July 3, 2018, 09:00 PM   #15
gnystrom

Ruger LCPII
Small, reliable, far more power than a 32, wide choice of ammo, and under $300
Old July 3, 2018, 09:29 PM   #16
Carmady

The Beretta Pico is a LOW-recoil .380, thin, and has a small grip. Racking the slide will likely be too much for her, but it would still be 7-shots with no need to rack it.

The Tomcats have a bad rep for cracking. Don't know how much of that is exaggerated. They're also expensive and pretty wide across the grips.

If she must have a 32, I'd look at the Kel-Tec.
Old July 3, 2018, 10:14 PM   #17
Mike38

Lots of good opinions, thanks and keep them coming.
Old July 3, 2018, 10:21 PM   #18
Onward Allusion

P32 is a decent little mouse gun. 7+1 shots is good capacity for a gun this size. Make sure it's loaded with either Fiocchi or Sellier & Bellot FMJ. Low recoil will allow for quick follow up shots. It's super flat, keep in the the body.

I still carry one as a BUG to my Glock in 357 Sig.
Old July 3, 2018, 10:35 PM   #19
RJay

The See Camp and the Guardian are both the same size and same weight, Both are very good little auto, both a[so very heavy in the pocket , even in a pocket holster they will beat tiy to death.. Every man to his own, for me the little Kel-Tec is the gun that disappears in my front pocket, it is so light and slim I forget I'm carring it.. I have owned all three, the NAA, the Kel Tec and the Tom Cat, gave the
Guardian to my son, sold the Tom Cat for a loss, ( hatt=ed that gun ) and I still won the little 32, one of the best firearm purchases I've ever made.
Old July 3, 2018, 11:18 PM   #20
Prof Young

I'll throw in a vote for the Beretta pico. With some practice it's a good short range point and shoot gun. Very reliable. Can get one mag extension to make it easier to shoot. May want a talon grip wrap for it too.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old July 3, 2018, 11:43 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

The NAA Guardian is bigger and heavier than the Seecamp. It's also thicker and much heavier than a Keltec P32.
Here is a true story: While changing the grip frame on my P32 one December, after watching an incorrect video-I broke the gun's mainspring. Called the next day to order one. Keltec was down for the holidays until after the first week of January. No problem-I'll just drop my NAA Guardian in my pocket for a couple of weeks...
Drove to work, and went to my friend's pawn shop at lunch and bought a spare P32 Keltec. The NAA is like carrying a brick!
Old July 3, 2018, 11:46 PM   #22
reteach

I don't have experience with the Kel-Tec .32. I have shot a friend's Kel-Tec .380. It was OK, and with my 60 years of experience I could make decent hits on target with it. I do own a Beretta Tomcat. It's not a beginner's gun either, but it's easier for me to shoot than the Kel-Tec. Very accurate, for me, and very reliable with fmj (Fiocchi 73 gr). The tip-up barrel might be a plus for her, since that eliminates having to rack the slide. It's heavy compared to the Kel-Tec, but I find that to be a plus for controlability.

If she does decide to look at .380's, I highly recommend the Glock 42. Much larger than the Kel-Tec or LCP, but very easy to shoot well. It's light for its size - about 17 ounces loaded with 8 rounds of Gold Dot (Pearce magazine extender).
Old July 4, 2018, 01:54 AM   #23
Tomas

I own both tomcat and seecamp. Tomcat is a bit bigger but a great gun. I carry the seecamp every day in my back pocket behind my wallet. Both have been reliable but you can’t use longer fmj profiles in the seecamp. Still. It’d be my choice for her.
Old July 4, 2018, 02:37 AM   #24
Model12Win

The Kely isn't a bad mouser, but the Tommy is better made.
Old July 4, 2018, 04:14 AM   #25
Cosmodragoon

You could do worse than the Tomcat. However, I'll be another voice in support of not going with .32 acp for defense. There are just too many better options these days. You'll have to go down the rabbit hole on purse carry, the right holster, etc. but good compact 9mm handguns like the PPS and Shield could be viable options.

You might also want to check out the LCR. It's simple, reliable, and relatively comfortable to shoot for guns in that size range. Since you were already considering the fairly anemic .32 acp, you might want to check out an LCR 327. It can run the more powerful .32 H&R magnum, which don't kick any harder than .38 special. Actual .327 Federal offers a pretty good range of power between the top end of 9mm and the bottom end of .357 magnum. I find the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks to be a perfect match for the little six-shooter.