The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 11, 2011, 06:25 PM   #1
columbia_shotguneer

useful info gas operated semi's

Just wanted to quickly pass on what could be some useful information about the use of o rings on some gas operated shotguns that I aquired at the range yesterday. My cousin had this charles daly semi auto 12 gauge that his gunsmith(also the seller) insisted he had to have an o ring on this gun to function any load properly. This is total bs and at the range I watched him shoot some high brass turkey loads, 2 3/4 buck and slugs, 3 inch buckshot, that literally slammed the action back senseless. Don't let anyone tell you you have to necessarily have an o ring(the kind of gun that use them), for high brass, it could prematurely damage your shotgun! You have to search high and low on the net to find this out it seems. I never had this come up because I dont own one. Hope this is useful for some.
Old December 11, 2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Orphanedcowboy

If it was designed fire an o-ring it needs an o-ring, if it wasn't designed for an oring then you are correct
Old December 11, 2011, 08:53 PM   #3
johnbt

"that literally slammed the action back senseless"

Is this a good thing?

I wonder why they bother including an o-ring and showing it in the manual.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:05 PM   #4
oregunner

The manufactorer says it needs an o-ring. The gunsmith say it needs an o-ring. You decide it doesn't need an o-ring. A used gun buyer's worst nightmare! I hate to think how you maintain your car. Was this one of those experiments that started with "Here, hold my beer!" Mark
Old December 11, 2011, 11:20 PM   #5
columbia_shotguneer

Quote:
The manufactorer says it needs an o-ring. The gunsmith say it needs an o-ring. You decide it doesn't need an o-ring. A used gun buyer's worst nightmare! I hate to think how you maintain your car. Was this one of those experiments that started with "Here, hold my beer!" Mark
Oregunner, you can take what I say with a grain of salt. Would I ever try to make up something I experienced to a forum I dearly admire, no I wouldn't ok. I know for a fact his gun functioned properly with no o ring on magnum loads and with o 'ring brutally actioning the spent shells for a couple of yards, oh and the recoil was doubled. cheers

Last edited by Mike Irwin; December 12, 2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: No need for the rude comment.
Old December 11, 2011, 11:46 PM   #6
oregunner

Just because you read it on the internet, it must mean it's true. If you deliberately assemble a firearm not in accordance with the manufacturers directions and shoot it, or let someone else shoot it, you better hope that nothing goes wrong, or you know a good attorney. Advising people to do that is even more reckless in my opinion. I feel that it is my responsibility to warn people of the hazard of following your advice. Cheers. Mark

Last edited by oregunner; December 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old December 12, 2011, 04:24 AM   #7
kozak6

This reminds me of a similar story about a guy who threw away the friction rings for his Auto-5.

We aren't accusing you of being a liar. We are accusing you of making a bad decision. I'm sure it works, but the real question is, how long will it work?

If I had a shotgun with a reputation for wearing out buffers to the point of cracking off the bolt handle, imported by a now defunct company, with no chance of service and minimal to no parts availability, I might consider taking efforts to minimize wear.

Your response, however, is to leave out parts, which greatly accelerates wear, and to recommend doing so to others. You yourself comment on the increase in recoil and violent ejection. Do you really think that's good for the gun?

Last edited by kozak6; December 12, 2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old December 12, 2011, 02:05 PM   #8
columbia_shotguneer

Quote:
You yourself comment on the increase in recoil and violent ejection. Do you really think that's good for the gun?
No I ment using the o ring did what you mentioned, sorry about the confusion. Maybe leaving an o ring out could damage the gun but I am not convinced. This o ring serves as a seal to keep gas in the piston ring, how would not sealing gas in do anything to damage your shotgun other than less gas going into the 2 ports? Nevermind no answer needed, I was trying to give my observation of someone elses gun, I think I might have been wrong with that said not handling/shooting the gun myself. I won't pass any further knowledge that is not scientificly proven, happy holiday to all, hope the eggnog is pleasant.
Old December 12, 2011, 02:28 PM   #9
jmr40

Wow, why take a chance on ruining a $1,000 gun because someone is too cheap to replace a 10 cent part.
Old December 12, 2011, 05:13 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

I don't think columbia_shotgunner is too cheap to replace the o-ring, but was passing on his belief that the use of theh o-ring can damage your Charles Daly. Somehow I doubt that the CD is a $1,000 gun.
Old December 12, 2011, 05:52 PM   #11
shortwave

^^^THIS^^^
Old December 13, 2011, 03:08 PM   #12
jmr40

He is stating that the O ring is not needed to function in ANY shotgun designed to work with an O ring. He is using his 1 time experience with a Charles Daly as an example of why he thinks it is OK to shoot guns with no O ring in place.

The O ring serves a purpose. The fact that it worked for a few shots with 1 gun does not prove it is not needed. I'd like to see how long that, or any gun lasts with continued use with no O ring in place.
Old December 13, 2011, 04:34 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

I think Columbia is only saying that you don't necessarily have to use an o-ring on guns that supposedly require one for high brass ammo. He is saying nothing about the need for oprings on guns that require one for low and high brass.
Old December 13, 2011, 05:24 PM   #14
oneounceload

If the o-ring wasn't necessary, it would not have been incorporated into the gun's design. It is there for a purpose, so use it
Old December 13, 2011, 05:25 PM   #15
markj

Remove the O ring in my 1100 and it will not cycle a round high brass or hand loads. Is why I carry an extra........
Old December 13, 2011, 06:08 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

If this Charles Daly is like another one someone posted about, the problem may be that it needs a new bumper to absorb the recoil of the bolt.
Old December 13, 2011, 08:14 PM   #17
columbia_shotguneer

I got an infraction of rules from one of the site administators about saying the wrong things. Sorry guys if I caused any problems or grief.
Old December 13, 2011, 08:41 PM   #18
Orphanedcowboy

If a couple of yards is brutal, then you don't want to shoot my Maxus, it tosses the empty hulls at least 10yds, probably closer to 12-13yds, I'll snap a picture when I think about it. My SX-2/3s are close to that as well.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:42 PM   #19
shortwave

Quote:
I got an infraction....Sorry guys if I caused any problems or grief.
columbia_shotguneer,

Your good to go this way. No harm, no foul.
Old December 22, 2011, 09:23 PM   #20
columbia_shotguneer

Thanks for the kind and helpful thoughts Shortwave, I always enjoy reading your posts.