The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 10, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1
yar

new helmetcam

Got to test out the archos w/ helmet cam last sunday at the palm springs steel match and the rockpile match (2 matches in one day!). For Palm Springs I had the cam zip tied under the bill of the hat. I think this places the gun too high up in the frame. It's ok, but I like the gun lower in the picture. I also think the bill of the hat flexes when I run so the picture bounces more than say video taken with my hosercam. Like the hosercam the wind noise is a problem. I going to have to create a wind sock for the archos helmetcam or cover the speaker hole with scotch tape on windy days, or big running stages.

For the rockpile match I had the cam on the top of the bill of the hat. I think this is a much better angle for the way I wear my hat, and my size head. I did something a little different on this video as I left some of the inbetween banter between shooting. This is because I still haven't figured out how to pause, stop or turn off the archos and captured a lot of extra footage.

Having both a Hosercam and a Archos Helmetcam I feel if all your wanting to do is pistol videos for the net the hosercam is the way to go. If you needed higher resolution for say dvd production then yes the hosercam will be too low of a resolution. For the net though after you convert it to a file size that will not lag on streams the resolution between the two are not that much different. What I'm saying if you are mainly going to youtube then the hosercam is plenty good.

The hosercam also is a lot easier to set up. The camera angle is already figured out for you, you just but the headset on. There are no wires to deal with, and it easy to turn on and off as there are switches on both the headset and the tacklebox that houses the 2nd part of the hosercam.

One thing I really like about the archos helmetcam is that the picture does not white out when you go from sunny to shaded areas. The hosercam was real bad with his. I'm going to need to re-enforce my hat so that it doesn't flex when I run. I will also need to practice more with the archos helmetcam I need to figure out how to turn it on, off and pause. I mean I read the manual but the thing seems to have a mind of it's own. It seems to lock itself on or off at times, and still captures video when I think it's off. I'm sure I just need to play with it more. What I really wanted it for was 1st person footage for 3 gun which is next week. Hopeful I'll get some good video.

http://www.madtrigger.net/videos/pal...s%209-9-07.wmv

http://www.madtrigger.net/videos/rockpiles...%20outtakes.wmv