The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 13, 2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Bernie Lomax

It's probably nothing, right? (2-day-and-counting NICS delay)

I've been delayed for a transfer and have been scatting gold bricks. Have little idea why, but here are my theories, some involving reasons I may actually be prohibited and some involving reasons I may be erroneously deemed to be prohibited.

1. Way back in 2001, I was subject to a court order for psychiatric treatment. When my state got its new, improved NIAA restoration statute, I went in to get my rights restored, but the judge told me that there was no need, because the law in effect previously restored my rights automatically when the order expired. I've always had a bad feeling about this one, because I've always had the nagging fear that only my rights under state law were restored by the old statute and that I was still federally prohibited.

2. It could be a recordkeeping screw-up regarding a DV misdemeanor I had expunged some years ago. I'm certain I'm not actually prohibited by this, but I may have some 'splainin' to do, as Desi Arnaz might say.

3. I am currently on unsupervised probation for a non-DV misdemeanor. This is not a categorical prohibitor under the law, and I was not informed of any terms of probation, except to obey the law, so I'm fairly certain that this is not a problem.

4. My name is extremely common among people of Irish descent and there are probably 20 prohibited possessors with my name in the greater Boston area alone.

Please tell me I'm not screwed. I don't want to pay a 20% re-stocking fee on a $1,700 VEPR and suffer the humiliation of failing a check on top of it.

Incidentally, even though I've been been into guns for 20 years, I've never bought one on paper before now, so that's why I'm so worried--I've never passed a check before.