The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 1, 2019, 01:31 PM   #1
TxFlyFish

G43X and G48 are out

I think scootch posted vid on full30 but got removed. You can probably still find the link somewhere. With that said what’s everyone’s take on glocks latest release. It seems like frame dimension wise it is not that much wider, and it shares the same slide width with G43. I don’t think I’d sacrifice the short grip for ccw for a slightly narrower frame compared to double stack 19. It’s a good option for places that you can’t own more than 10rds.

IMHO Glock 26 still beats it
Old January 1, 2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Siggy-06

I wonder if the old Glock 43's will go down in price a little bit once the 43x becomes available.
Old January 1, 2019, 02:02 PM   #3
ice monkey

I just got a 43, I was worried the 43x would make me regret my recent purchase. But it hasn’t. I don’t mind the shorter grip. I prefer it.

The 48 on the other hand, that has my interest. Perfect companion for my 43. Well almost. If the mags were interchangeable, then it would be perfection.

I’m sure I’ll be getting the 48.
Old January 1, 2019, 03:34 PM   #4
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice monkey View Post
I just got a 43, I was worried the 43x would make me regret my recent purchase. But it hasn’t. I don’t mind the shorter grip. I prefer it.

The 48 on the other hand, that has my interest. Perfect companion for my 43. Well almost. If the mags were interchangeable, then it would be perfection.

I’m sure I’ll be getting the 48.
Me too. -26/19 really too fat for me to carry, -43 no fun for me to shoot. A slimmer, 9mm with some weight to make it more fun to shoot..
Pretty obvious the 43x designed to be a P365 competitor...hopefully without the365 issues.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 1, 2019, 03:50 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

https://www.full30.com/embed/MDE4NDk0

This working for my friends and me.
Old January 1, 2019, 03:55 PM   #6
ice monkey

Good Lord @Centuriator - shaking your hand must be like shaking a bunch of bananas lol! A friend of mine has huge hands as well, and i’ll never forget my dad shaking his hands and saying that. “God lord, it’s like shaking a bunch of bananas!” Dad was always good for a one liner lol. I’ve always wanted to say it to someone.

Anyway, XXXL! Has there ever been a single stack that “worked” for you?. I wear an XL glove, and as much as I can shoot a Glock double stack, it’s still a touch to wide for me. The 43 and 42 as small as they are, sees me shooting way more on target unfortunately. At the end of the day, there really hasn’t ever been a double stack that’s worked for me.

Lol - it’ll be funny if your “mouse gun” turns out to be a 48 .
Old January 2, 2019, 08:21 AM   #7
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
https://www.full30.com/embed/MDE4NDk0

This working for my friends and me.
Mee too..interesting..can't wait to 'handle'a G48 at LGS..'might' be the one that fills that carry but FunToShoot requirement for me..As I have mentioned..-19/26 too fat, -43 no fun for this gimpy RH wrist/thumb guy...no thanks Sig/M&P, etc...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 2, 2019, 10:32 AM   #8
sigarms228

Both of these new Glocks make a whole lot of sense especially considering the millions that live in states with 10 round magazine restrictions with certainly more states going that way including my state of Illinois sadly. Not everyone wants a tiny pistol for CCW and even the SIG P365 is tool small for me. The Glock 43X sounds like it is a pistol I am very interested in. Shooters with smaller hands, including my wife, might really like a Glock with a grip that is substantially smaller than a double stack Glock like the 19 yet still offers a full grip without any magazine extenders for most of us.
Old January 3, 2019, 11:49 AM   #9
Captains1911

I was hoping that the G43X was going to be a contender against the P365, but unfortunately I don’t think it is. The grip on the G43X is considerably longer.
Old January 3, 2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

I initially said "many will be sold, but none to me." The more I look at them, the more I think I may be eating those words. I need to get a look at these.
Old January 3, 2019, 05:39 PM   #11
Bart Noir

The magazines are NOT interchangeable between "basic" 43 and the new 43X / 48.

The 43X and 48 have the same frame and hence magazines.

And just to keep keep my thread-drift skills sharp, I'll add that the new Mossberg MC1 pistol DOES use G43 mags, as well as Mossberg clear ones.

Bart Noir
Old January 3, 2019, 10:36 PM   #12
TunnelRat

I don't really get the point, but if people like them then great. I was actually expecting a true P365 competitor, but this isn't it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 4, 2019, 06:00 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

The P365 isn't a true single stack, is it? These seem to be aimed more at true single stack 9mms, like Kahr (single stack, right?) and (gasp) 1911s in 9mm. But that's just a hunch from an old pencil-pusher, based on nothing more than a handful of pictures.
Old January 4, 2019, 07:27 AM   #14
OhioGuy

It looks like the G43X is dimensionally very similar to the P365, so the rounds must be staggered in some way. Why would the 43X not be a true P365 competitor? Almost the same size, same capacity, there will surely be 12 round magazines at some point, etc.

What would make it more Sig-like?

Not sure what value the G48 provides in the long term over the 43X -- once extended magazines are available, the capacity will be proportionally greater than the 48, i.e. you'd probably get 12 or more into the same height. Unless the longer slide is of that much value.

Personally I prefer having a shorter grip with the option of extended mags, as that is more accommodating to more clothing situations for concealment.

Regardless I'm sure both will be great guns. I'd like to get my hands on one to try.
Old January 4, 2019, 07:27 AM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
The P365 isn't a true single stack, is it? These seem to be aimed more at true single stack 9mms, like Kahr (single stack, right?) and (gasp) 1911s in 9mm. But that's just a hunch from an old pencil-pusher, based on nothing more than a handful of pictures.
It isn't, but the selling point is that despite that it isn't a true single stack it's barely any thicker.

Old January 4, 2019, 07:30 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
It looks like the G43X is dimensionally very similar to the P365, so the rounds must be staggered in some way. Why would the 43X not be a true P365 competitor? Almost the same size, same capacity, there will surely be 12 round magazines at some point, etc.

What would make it more Sig-like?

Not sure what value the G48 provides in the long term over the 43X -- once extended magazines are available, the capacity will be proportionally greater than the 48, i.e. you'd probably get 12 or more into the same height. Unless the longer slide is of that much value.

Personally I prefer having a shorter grip with the option of extended mags, as that is more accommodating to more clothing situations for concealment.

Regardless I'm sure both will be great guns. I'd like to get my hands on one to try.
Almost the same size isn't the same size. It is longer in the grip than the P365. Is it enough of a difference to matter? That's up to the individual. This doesn't achieve the same efficiency of size.

Old January 4, 2019, 07:53 AM   #17
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

What would make it more Sig like?

Have a lot of problems right outta the box? Just kidding 'tunnel'.

10 round, smaller carry, 9mm...$580 MSRP..sounds like a P365 and M&P Shield competitor to me..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 4, 2019, 08:11 AM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Have a lot of problems right outta the box? Just kidding 'tunnel'.

10 round, smaller carry, 9mm...$580 MSRP..sounds like a P365 and M&P Shield competitor to me..
Lol. I never defended the issues, in fact I called them out for it. What I defended was their pricing and I said I felt they weren't getting a pass.

Will this compete with the P355 for sales? Sure. When I said true competitor I meant the same capacity for the size. That efficiency is what makes the P365 unique,. Otherwise it would be just another micro pistol. If the G19X had no issues selling I have no doubts that this will sell too.

Old January 4, 2019, 08:14 AM   #19
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Lol. I never defended the issues, in fact I called them out for it. What I defended was their pricing and I said I felt they weren't getting a pass.

Will this compete with the P355 for sales? Sure. When I said true competitor I meant the same capacity for the size. That efficiency is what makes the P365 unique,. Otherwise it would be just another micro pistol. If the G19X had no issues selling I have no doubts that this will sell too.

Like I said, Just kidding..I have enjoyed this and other conversations on this forum..I'm a FNG(Farging New Guy)..newly 'returned' to the world of guns about 2 years ago, had a S&W model 39 about 40 years ago..learning somethin' everyday w/o a lot of the political crappola found on other forums.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 4, 2019, 08:17 AM   #20
TunnelRat

Oh I believed you were kidding, I just wanted to clarify for others as well. It's also a fair point because if this rollout does go well it's certainly a kudos to Glock and a point about how releases don't have to have so many issues.

Old January 4, 2019, 08:18 AM   #21
wild cat mccane

Why a silver coated steel slide?

Why not do stainless steel? Never get that, though I'm sure there's a reason I'm missing?
Old January 4, 2019, 09:50 AM   #22
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Why a silver coated steel slide?

Why not do stainless steel? Never get that, though I'm sure there's a reason I'm missing?
Not sure it's 'coated' anymore than a black one is..marketing, looks, I would guess..

I like it but the 'looks' of a gun mean not much to me..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 4, 2019, 10:31 AM   #23
JERRYS.

this is where Glock should have gone with the .45acp. the G36 isn't [in my opinion] designed properly because it relies on the magazine base to complete the grip instead of simply completing the grip and using a flush fit magazine.
Old January 4, 2019, 10:36 AM   #24
TxFlyFish

It is not a competitor to p365 and not a possibility until glock goes to metal magazines

It seems like these two models are focused on magazine restricted areas and shootability and not necessarily absolute concealability. It will do well in those areas, however magazine incompatibility to G43 is a major oversight. Some G43 owners will undoubtedly feel betrayed and ask themselves is the lack of oem G43 extended mags an issue of reliability or glock’s greed because the pair of G43X/48 was already in development
Old January 4, 2019, 10:53 AM   #25
Winny

I think it fills a niche in states with magazine restrictions.

The slimmer grip with 10 rounds could appeal to a lot of people in capacity-restricted states. I imagine some folks would prefer the slightly longer grip as it will help with felt recoil.

Additionally, the front slide serrations could stand out.

Personally, I'll take a p365 with the 12 round extension over the 43x