The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 22, 2011, 07:22 PM   #1
marksman8351

Hunting Revolvers

I live in NY and was always interested in a hunting handgun for whitetail and possibly passing coyotes that catch my eye. Now i know theres tons of choices but i was wondering what would be a reasonable choice in caliber and make for a hunting handgun. Theres no rifle season in my county so the only choices i have are bow/shotgun/pistol/crossbow and black powder and all i have been doing is using bow for years and this year i really wanted to change it up im going to try with my 45 black powder pistol but i think i would like to get a hunting cartridge revolver since most of the kills i make are within bow range anyhow
Old May 22, 2011, 07:40 PM   #2
shootniron

You have many options for handgun hunting as you mention. But, my short list would include a single action Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag or .45lc which would probably be the least expensive of any of the hunting handguns. For double action, my list would include the Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk and the Smith and Wesson 629 in .44mag.

Any of the guns listed would do a fine job for you as would many others not listed. I would suggest frequenting some local gun shops and having a look to see what you like.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:05 AM   #3
big al hunter

I have hunted for deer with many flavors of handgun. The Ruger redhawk and blackhawk series are excellent hunting arms. I have owned several and enjoyed all of them. The super redhawk and super blackhawk come with integral scope mounting slots on the frame and 1" rings, it is a very solid system. If your budget allows, the Colt anaconda in 44 mag. is also a good choice. I have taken deer with 44 mag and 454 casull. The 44 mag is a good cartridge and hard to beat without punishing recoil. The 41 mag is also a good choice with slightly less recoil than the 44. I believe the 357 mag is slightly under powered for deer. Not that it won't kill them, it just has to be a very well placed shot to do it well. I use a 240 gr soft nose jacketed bullet for 44 and 260 gr jacketed hp in 454. After you decide on which one you want, practice practice, practice. Have fun and let us know what you decide on.
Old May 23, 2011, 07:55 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If there is any advantage for double-action over single-action, it's in the lock time. Not a problem for many people, but there is a difference.

For a handloader, the larger and heavier bullet from a .44 Mag can be downloaded somewhat below maximum recoil and still be more effective than a .357 Mag. Just not as flat a trajectory and not quite as much effective range. Utility depends on the user and the typical distances encountered.
Old May 23, 2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

I use the .44 mag. in a Ruger Redhawk. I like the .44 mag. because it is so versitile. Can be loaded from powder puff to whomper stomper. A nice smooth double action pull can be developed with practice. Since I like to shoot, the practice part was fun.
Old May 23, 2011, 08:37 AM   #6
jmortimer

.45 Colt in a Blackhawk is hard to beat.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Daryl

For me, a Ruger (original) Vaquero in .45 Colt works great. I had trouble some years back packin' a Super BH in .44 mag when the rear sight came off when maneuvering through brush and rocks. For that reason, I like the fixed sights on the Vaquero.

They're a little tougher to get "adjusted" so that POA and POI come together, but once they do nothing moves.

Daryl
Old May 23, 2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Saltydog235

My dad bought me my first Model 57 when I was a teenager. Since that one, I've been a fan of the .41 Magnum. Its not a real popular choice but the people who do shoot it will swear by it. Best of both worlds for fans of the .357 and .44 Mags, mild recoil with a moderately heavy hitting bullet. I now use a S&W Model 657 Hunter model with the integral Weaver mount. I love that pistol.
Old May 23, 2011, 02:52 PM   #9
buck460XVR

First, I recommend checking the regulations concerning the use of handguns for deer in your state. There may be minimum barrel length and caliber restrictions. Secondly I suggest you getting a handgun you can afford to shoot......a lot. Unlike rifles and bows, getting proficient with a handgun takes a lot of practice. If you do not reload or cannot afford high priced ammo, stay away from the really big bores and the oddball calibers. Think .357 or .44 mag. Most .45 Colt factory ammo is cowboy action stuff and a little anemic for deer. The hunting stuff is hard to find and pricey when you do find it. If you reload, or plan to reload then your options are limitless.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Doodlebugger45

I'll side with the majority here. I own a couple of exceptionally fine BFRs in .454 Casull and .480 Ruger and are amazing for hunting, but I wouldn't recommend either for someone who hasn't shot a lot of heavy handguns before (and reloading is a MUST for them). I own a variety of .357's and they are just fine, but not my choice. So that brings us to the good ole .44 mag. Now, I am a huge fan of single action 6 guns, most of my collection are those. But for going to the field, I would pack my S&W 629. It's a rarity for me to be extolling the virtues of DA I know, but hey, it's the most accurate handgun I own. You don't HAVE to pull the trigger in DA mode you know. Cock that hammer back and it's better than any single action cowboy gun I own in terms of light smooth trigger. But if for some reason you need to take a quick second shot, it's real easy to do so. With a lot of practice, thumbing the hammer back on a SA has become automatic for me and the speed issue isn't very important, but just starting out, I think it would be hard to beat a S&W or Ruger DA revolver.

The only question in my mind is barrel length. My S&W has a 8 3/8" barrel. When I carried it as a backup when also carrying a rifle, I thought it too cumbersome and heavy, which it was. However, if that's the ONLY gun you're carrying, it is no big deal. It's a heck of a lot lighter than any rifle. And when you're just getting started out, those longer barrrels have 2 huge advantages. First of all, they tame the recoil and muzzle flip so that shooting a .44 mag is pretty tame. Second of all, the longer sight radius makes it easier to aim at distances over 50 yards.

Mine happens to be a S&W, but the Ruger Redhawk is a fine revolver also. But for a truly worthy DA .44 mag, you should really try to find a good used Dan Wesson. There are tons of them out there that were hardly used back in the heyday of silhouette shooting.

Just my opinions of course.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Mayor Al

Yeah, some states require minimum length barrels..Here in Indiana it is 4", so I may carry my snubby 357 with me as a backup or CYA gun, but I can not 'hunt' with it.

In the coming Hog Hunt in Texas, I don't think I will bother with the handgun. I am more of a blind/baiter shooter due to recent surgery, so the 357 would be just more weight to lug around. However it does just fine out to 25-30 yards from my back deck when the Possums and other more edible critter get into my fruit trees. I have taken a couple of small doe in my trees with it. I feel about deer in my orchard like some of you guys do about pigs in the pasture !
Old May 25, 2011, 10:02 PM   #12
GeauxTide

Since you're shooting BP 45, then I'd get a Ruger Blackhawk or Bisley in the LC. Love mine.
Old June 8, 2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Jack O'Conner

I've had very good luck with my Taurus revolver in 357 MAG. Out to approx 40 yards or so, it kills as well as anything: lots of chest organ damage and good penetration.

Jack
Old June 8, 2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Mallard76

Get a .44 Mag. I use both a S&W 629 and Ruger Super Blackhawk.
Old June 8, 2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Deja vu

I know some people will think I am odd but the only hand gun I have hunted any thing bigger than varmints with is my BFR It has 2 cylinders 45/70 and 450, I usually use the 45/70 cause ammo is cheaper.

I have killed a deer (Mule deer) with it with a hand loaded 500 grain bullet using a red dot sight.

It is a fun gun to shoot and you can even hand gun hunt with it but it is way to big to be a back up gun for a rifle... at least in my opinion.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old June 9, 2011, 10:00 PM   #16
WildBill45

on the least costly end: Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag.
Upper end: .460 Smith & Wesson...
Used gun end: Smith & Wesson model 29, 8-inch barrel.

if you let go of the revolver catagory, get a TC pistol with various calibers to choose from. A single shot makes for a good hunter!

The attached photo is my T/C contender in 7X30 Waters! I shot this Wyoming Antelope at 235 accurate paces with it, using shooting sticks for support...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Wyoming Antelope 2.jpeg (230.8 KB, 25 views)

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"