The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 10, 2006, 04:42 PM   #1
rebelwon

Maryland Ranges/Plinking areas

Howdy!

I am expecting to purchase an 1858 Remington reporoduction BP revolver soon, but also have a collection of modern centerfire arms that I have been using for some 30 years. Does anyone know of an outdoor range in the central Maryland area where I can just do some old fashioned plinking (with both the BP and centerfire pistols) at something other than paper? Any land owner in the Howard County area that would be willing to let me do this (in exchange for a few rounds or $), with a strong promise that I will clean up to the point that you would never know I was there?

Thanks!!
Old August 10, 2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Norton

Ranges close to you:

Mariottsville - Associated Gun Clubs
Westminster - Hap Baker Range
North East - Elk Neck

I can't speak for the AGC range, but Hap Baker is paper only. At Elk Neck, it's OK to shoot clays off of the berms.
Old August 10, 2006, 06:42 PM   #3
charlie in md

here is a link

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/shootingranges.asp

This might have something that is close to you. Good Luck!
Old August 12, 2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Mike_In_MD

Associated Gun Clubs (AGC) rules are posted here. http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/rangerules.htm

Basically, Firing at bottles, cans, metal targets, rocks, or any rounded target which may deflect a bullet at any angle, is prohibited on all ranges. I have seen people fire at objects such as ballons or clay targets, but paper is the target most shoot at.

I recommend joining the Garrison Rifle and Revolver club. They are one of the largest gun clubs in the AGC. To join it's $200 for the first year and $170 thereafter, which is basically the going rate for all the gun clubs. The memberships run January to January, but if you join now I believe the price is half, $100. Call or e-mail Brian Beverly (http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/mc-garrison.htm), or just show up at the monthly meeting, which is the second Tuesday at 8 pm each month in the building at the trap range. It's only about a 10 or 15 minute drive from where you're at. Directions are:

The range facilities of the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc. (AGC) are located on Marriottsville Road in northwest Baltimore County, at the intersection of Marriottsville Road and Wards Chapel Road. The AGC ranges are approx. 3½ miles west of Liberty Road (Route 26), approx. 5½ miles north of Interstate 70, and about 1 mile east of Patapsco State Park's "McKeldin Area". The gravel road entrance leading to the 200 yard (high power) range, the Bow range, the upper range house (Memorial Hall) and the trap range is located on Marriottsville Road just west of Wards Chapel Road.. The gravel road and parking lot entrance leading to the lower range house, the 100 yard Barnes range, and the 50 yard pistol range, is located on Wards Chapel Road just north of its intersection with Marriottsville Road.

Here's a map.http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/map.htm
Old August 14, 2006, 06:58 PM   #5
rebelwon

Thanks!!

Thanks to all for the recommendations. My research indicated that the Anne Arundel Fish & Game Club (near the Bay Bridge) had a "plinking range" attached to its "action pistol" range. Has anyone had any experience at this range? Otherwise, I am still looking for a Howard County-area land owner that might be willing to have a guest...
Old August 15, 2006, 04:06 AM   #6
Norton

AAF+G is a nice enough place. The wife and I go there when the trap range is open because it's closer than going to PGC.

Trouble with AAF+G is that the hours are so limited, especially for centerfire, that anyone with a normal job can hardly get there to make use of a membership. The place is surrounded by development and they had to make so many concessions to keep the peace that the place is hardly ever open.
Old August 15, 2006, 05:27 PM   #7
rebelwon

Thanks for the info on AAF&G...Their web site makes it look like they have pretty flexible hours for .22s, but I am interested in shooting larger bore centerfires and a black powder revolver. The web site only says that centerfire shoting is allowed "when a range officer is present." Any ideas about BP times?
Old August 15, 2006, 09:28 PM   #8
Norton

I don't know much about the BP restrictions. We go Friday and Saturday for the non-members trap. It would be a good chance for you to come check it out.
Old August 26, 2006, 05:24 PM   #9
rebelwon

Anyone have any familiarity with the Balto. Co. Game & Fish Preservation Assoc. range in Carney/Perry Hall?
Old August 29, 2006, 09:39 AM   #10
ppcmaster
Registration in progress

I Don't Like Plinkers

Sorry everyone but this is a pet peieve of mine. I can not stand plinkers ANYMORE. I use to put up with them and their STUPID shooting. But just last week our indoor range rules were changed thanks to PLINKERS. We can no longer shoot at 7 or 15yds on the indoor range, because the PLINKERS shot the place up. Ceiling and walls. I know some did it by accident and most did it on purpose. But so far my expericence with plinkers has been nothing but bad. I will start a thread on this so everyone can reply.
Plinkers GO HOME and stay there!
Old August 29, 2006, 09:54 AM   #11
LeadPumper

rebelwon- I belong to Balto County Game and Fish http://bcgf.org/cgi-bin/index.asp

What did you want to know?

-LeadPumper

THR
C&R FFL
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Instructor
RSO
Old August 29, 2006, 07:35 PM   #12
rebelwon

LeadPumper,

Thanks for the reply! I am interested in knowing more about membership and the pistol range as there is not a whole lot of detail on the website. Hours? Restrictions on what you can shoot (either type/caliber of pistol or targets)? I have both centerfire and black powder pistols, and am looking for a place nearby to shoot that does not cost a small fortune. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 30, 2006, 07:23 AM   #13
LeadPumper

Baltimore County Game and Fish

The club is a 'members only' club with a fixed membership. The only way to get in is to know someone and be 'sponsored'. Membership is once a year in June.

As far as the ranges go, there's a Trap range up front and a pistol / rifle range 'in the back'. Trap range is open for scheduled events or 'by appointment'. Trap house and machine are only used for club functions.

On the right is a 7 and 15 yard pistol range (standing range, 6 bays) seperated by railroad ties from the 25 yard (standing range, 8 bays), with 6 benchs on the left for 50, 100 and 200 yard rifle. Paper targets only, stapling or taped to the center of the supplied backboard. No steel, glass, or metal targets (unless authorized club plate shoot). Hours are M-Sat 9- 1 hour before sunset, Sun 12-1 hour before sunset, closed during club events.

No FA, but you can shoot as fast as you want as long as you hit the target (senior members ALWAYS watch the new guys...), no restrictions on caliber or blackpowder. (no cannon)

Organized shoots include Thursday Trap night and Bullseye competition, monthly military rifle shoots, quarterly 'Fun' shoots and Garand matches and fall hunter sight-in.

Some shoots are open to the public, others are members only.

The clubhouse has a pavillion used for general meetings (first Wednesday of the month) and crab feasts.

Also offered at various times during the year are NRA pistol, rifle, and personal protection classes.

Anything else you want to know?

-LeadPumper

THR
C&R FFL
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Instructor
RSO
Old August 30, 2006, 05:22 PM   #14
rebelwon

LeadPumper,

Thanks for the info; I think your post covered my questions very well. Guess since I do not know a member yet, I am SOL. I am thinking about the AGC ranges in Marriotsville (just a few minutes from my house), but it is kind of expensive. May try the Hap Baker facility in Westminster....
Old August 19, 2008, 08:36 AM   #15
xss500

Fire exercise

Best place for fire exercise is near a river so that other people may not harm.
Maryland Drug Treatment