The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 3, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Has anyone used the 10½ S&W 500 to take hogs?

I know that's an expensive way to get a BBQ pork sandwich.

I mean just the fun of it - using one of those monster guns to take down a monster.

I would imagine that you could aim for the shoulder with the hog facing perpendicular to you (not needing an away shot), and with some confidence expecting that it would smash through the bone, take out the heart and drop the boar.

But anyway - what I'm really asking here is if anyone has used that gun or knows of anyone who has used that pistol to hunt hogs.
Old June 3, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2
m_liebst

That'll go through a good amount of bone.

You can take down a bear with that!! No experience but have a friend whos tried one and says the recoils very out of the ordinary range, n a big shockwave a sound... I'm sure that big of a magnum slug might go through both shoulders unless you got a monster hog breakin a half ton!

prob.drop many lrg game animals like bricks with a single cranial shot

Last edited by m_liebst; June 3, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old June 3, 2011, 07:31 PM   #3
SRH78

I don't have a 500 but I do have a 454 Casull and can assure you that you won't have any problem killing hogs with a 500. The last hog I shot was a large sow that charged me. The bullet, a 300 grain Hornady XTP hollow point, went in the left side of her jaw, went through the neck and the chest and exited her right side. She dropped right in her tracks, which is good cause I shot her at about 3 feet.
Old June 4, 2011, 12:24 AM   #4
BIG P

NO 500 here either,But shot a good number with a 454 even using lite loads inside 50 yds. 240grs can & do make a mess. jelly insides & massive exit wounds. The 500 will be worse.
Old June 4, 2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Edward429451

Do a search for Hogzilla and you can see the kid and the hog and the .500
Old June 4, 2011, 11:56 AM   #6
ohen cepel

I used a 10mm on a 300lb+ hog just fine.

I'm sure a 500 would do it, a .50Cal Barrett also would :-)

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old June 4, 2011, 03:47 PM   #7
m_liebst

Would love to try that same half ton hog with the 50 bmg

Just for the heck of the experience, woulda love to see that same "Hogzilla" kid who shot that emormous pig, do it with the .50 bmg (800 grain Barnes bullet at 2895 fps= 15,000 foot pounds) ...probably be like seeing a refrigerater turn into a wet grenade...

Most love to witness the awesome power and carnage behind these massive guns we keep making.

Last edited by m_liebst; June 4, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:04 PM   #8
C0untZer0

Quote:
He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

I am going to atrribute this to the fact that this was an 11 year old. I don't know how an 11 year old could wield a S&W 500, maybe he couldn't aim it.

Normally - if you have to shoot something 8 times, you're using the wrong ammunition. I know that's a big hog, but unless you are only shooting it in the ass, there is no way it should take eight S&W .50 Magnum rounds to kill it.

In the end - that turned out to be a farm raised hog that was let loose on the "Hunting" plantation.

I've seen a few of these videos on You Tube, and the pigs do not act like feral hogs at all. When you see videos of real feral hogs, they are skittish, and you see them sniff the air and look around. When the first shot is fired they run like hell. The guys putting out these so called "hunting" videos - the pigs look just like that - pigs like pigs you'd see at a county fair. They look stupid and lazy. I think the worst of these charletans is probably "Mizell's Monsters" These guys get like 30 feet from these pigs and the hogs do nothing - I wouldn't put it past these guys to be hand feeding them. I'm surprised the pigs didn't actually come running when they saw humans. Like - soooo-weeee here pig pig pig pig. And then when the pig gets shot with a cross bow - he just walks away.

It's such a production - and then the "guide" plays it up like it's such a "once in a lifetime" hunting adventure.

They should just leave the hogs in the pen on the farm and save everyone the trouble of walking all that way and having to haul them out of the brush.

What a non-event.

Last edited by C0untZer0; June 4, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:42 PM   #9
SRH78

Even if the hog was the size it was claimed to be, it wouldn't take 8 rounds from a 500 if the shot placement was decent. Also, if this were a wild hog, he wouldn't have gotten 8 shots off without the help of dogs.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:45 PM   #10
SRH78

As if the other clues weren't enough to figure it out, one look at how fat this hog was should have been a huge tip off that this was a canned hunt. It is also not hard to figure out that the kid was well behind the hog when the photo was taken. That is trophy photo 101. I am sure it was a big hog but not nearly as big as they claim.
Old June 5, 2011, 01:57 AM   #11
m_liebst

all agreed..

I agree with the fact that if he'd gotten a vital shot, there wouldn't be a need for any follow ups. Where the heck did all those "8" shots go of .500!?! I think one good cranial shot would've snuffed it's lights out with the right load.

Guess if it took so many wasted shots, probably allowing "pig" to suffer longer, the kid might've not been able to tame the recoil...

Last edited by m_liebst; June 5, 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old June 5, 2011, 08:28 AM   #12
SRH78

That is exactly what happened. The guys involved were trying to manufacture a story to drum up business for their game ranch so they made sure only the kid shot even though he couldn't shoot well. The whole process took hours but they were able to keep getting shots because it was a tame pig rather than a wild one. They ended up in court for animal cruelty charges over it but the case was eventually dropped.
Old June 5, 2011, 01:20 PM   #13
C0untZer0

It had so many elements for the making of a great story:

11 year old hunter
Most powerful production handgun in the world
Hogzilla tipping the scales at over 1050 lbs

I go back to a comment I made a while back - it should be illegal to free pigs, and anyone who does it intentionally should be punished.

In reality feral pigs are a huge problem. The amount of damage they do each year to argriculture is enormous. If a handful of goofs are going to try to get rich on canned hunts - then they need to be heavily fined if they get caught releasing pigs into the wild. That money should then go into a fund to reimburse anyone who suffers damage due to feral hogs.
Old June 5, 2011, 01:22 PM   #14
C0untZer0

I am wondering how the S&W .50 cal stacks up ballistically and KE wise to a 2¾" 12ga shotgun slug. Maybe they're close...

Last edited by C0untZer0; June 5, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old June 5, 2011, 02:22 PM   #15
m_liebst

Has any used a 12 g. on a pig?

That sounds like and interesting slug for a hefty piggy Would like the goods, if someone has done it!!!
Old June 7, 2011, 11:33 AM   #16
FrontSight

Just be sure to wear ear muffs; you can literally get tinitus for a few months from just a few rounds. Ask me how I know
Old June 7, 2011, 03:56 PM   #17
SRH78

Agreed, hearing protection is a must. I chuckle when people talk about how bad the muzzle blast is from a 357 magnum because it sounds like a 22 next the big bores. I made the mistake one time of shooting a round from my 454 without hearing protection. The muzzle blast is absolutely ridiculous. I didn't make that mistake again until I got charged by the previously mentioned sow.
Old June 7, 2011, 05:26 PM   #18
Boberama

No. I've never fired one.

Honestly, I don't see the point. You can have more power and accuracy from a rifle with less perceived recoil.

I guess it's just the fun of it.