The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2009, 10:11 PM   #1

after using a kinetic bullet puller

I had to pull 14 bullets loaded for 7mm rem mag. Do i need to resize the necks? I noticed that all the bullets (140gr Nosler accubond) were lightly scuffed with vertical lines. Will these bullets be less accurate? I'm working up a new load, so accuracy is important. These were built from new winchester brass, and i full lenth resized them before loading. Also, the reason for reconstuction, the nosler book says 140gr bullets loaded with 63.5 grs of Relaoder 22 will give me about 3160 fps, this is the "low" load in the book. My goal is just over that at 3175. they also list 65.5 grs rel. 22 = 3250 and 67.5 grs rel 22 = 3340. after loading i found this website, (as a link from here) http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Powder&Source= and someone says that nosler is off a bit that 67.5 grs will give me 3160fps... also found in Jan. 2010 issue of Rifle magazine page 75 7mm rem mag 140gr sierra spitzer RL-22 70.0 grs 3164, i know this isnt the exact same bullet and i would NOT (edit) copy this recipe to another bullet, but it is close. Close enough that i think Nosler is probably off a bit on the fps.

Thanks to all that provide help. This is a great place on the net.

Last edited by 257; December 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: typo, said would, i meant would not
Old December 30, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2
1chig

some will say you dont need to and some will say you do. If it were me i would resize the neck again just to make sure the bullett is snug, its been my experience that after pulling a bullet and then putting them back without resizing the bullet is to loose for my taste, as far as the bullets are concerned i think they will be fine , i have reused after pulling and they shot just fine. good luck and good shooting
Old December 30, 2009, 11:54 PM   #3
res45

1. Resize the necks

2. Use reliable data form a reloading manual or the bullet mfg. web site and work your load up from the starting load or reduct the MAX load by 10% and go from there. Every gun is different even the same make and model,what works for one might blow yours up,especially anytime you change one of the components from the stated data.

3. MV is based on more than just how much powder you can stuff in a case and there are a lot of variables that affect that,the MAX load is not alway the most accurate,targets and critter two or four legged never notice the difference in fps as long as you do your part placing the shot. The only true way to know your loads MV in your rifle is to run your loads over a chronography,published reloading manual derive there data form various sources some use actual firearms,some use universal receiver and a standard length test barrel.

Just be safe take the time to check and recheck your reloading process,work your loads up slowly and in your rifle not what somebody else used.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:10 PM   #4
preventec47

You should know that the 7mm Rem Mag has been downloaded over
the last 20 years to where the max SAMMI bore pressure is 4000
or 5000 psi less than the 270 or 308 that doesnt even have a belt
in their case.

Some say it is an attempt to make all the new exotic super and
short and ultra mags look more attractive performance wise.
If they didnt and all the new whiz bang offerings didnt offer
any additional performance they wouldnt be bought.

There is a huge margin of safety built into the 7mm Rem Mag
and plenty guys I know load them to the same pressures
as other magnums like 300 win mag and the weatherby mag rounds.