The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 4, 2002, 09:16 AM   #1
cbjessee@NH

OC Freeze?

I have an auto OC unit clipped to the visor here in sunny but cool NH. It was made by Guardian Products, but their web site appears to be down. Online literature from vendors says safe storage in auto and resistance to heat, but nothing about cold. Does anyone know if the stuff has any anti-freeze? I guess I can freeze and shake, but the spouse my object to Tabasco spary in the freezer.

BRET
Old January 5, 2002, 10:16 PM   #2
David Park

Quote:
At what temperature should I store my pepper spray?

Do not leave your defense spray in any area that may exceed 125 degrees F or drop below -15 degrees F. Excessive heat or cold may cause the can to leak or burst.
http://www.safety-sales.com/Pepper-S...Spray-FAQ.html

That's the only information I could find. You might ask your local PD if they've had problems, since they probably have lots of experience with OC sprays.
Old January 6, 2002, 11:15 AM   #3
Coronach

I suspect the only problem you're likely to encounter would be the can freezing up (and probably bursting) or the spray nozzle freezing up. On the plus side, if the can freezes and explodes, you'll know right away that you have problems ()...but if it is the nozzle that freezes up (I also imagine this would happen first) you won't have any clue until you try to use it. Not a good time to discover that Plan A is a no-go.

I would not leave it in your car.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old January 6, 2002, 04:27 PM   #4
Azrael256

I don't suppose you happen to have a list of ingredients? Maybe know the pressure in the canister? Those would really help. Also, doesn't the manufacturer have a phone #? They could probably tell you.