The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
coreck

cant decide on a handgun

looking at various handguns in 40 sw that i can get for around 500 and under.

the list.

Beretta PX4 storm
Bersa Thunder
CZ p-07
Ruger SR40
Sig Suaer P250 Nitron
S&W M&P40
Taurus 840
Springfield XD40
Glock 22

Priority is Reliability, Durability, Accuracy, Capacity in that order.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Iron Man

Hmmm,

No help there. My favorite .40s (in order) are my Walther PPQ, Walther P99 (first and third generation), Beretta Model 96, and Sig Sauer P226, which of course none of are on your list and all can be had used for under $500.00.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:13 AM   #3
thecelt

me personally id vote for the xd since i own an xd45. i have also shot the glock22 quite a bit, and also a g19 too (9mm). for me, the xd fits my hand better, and i prefer the grip angle over the glock. i used to be a huge fan of 40 until i started shooting .45acp. i also like the s&w, im not a fan of the beaver tail or the rounded trigger guard, but its a great tool from all ive read. i dont have any experience with the other tools you listed.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:16 AM   #4
JustinBiscuit

PPQ is by far the best deal in handguns right now. My second is a M&P pro, followed by a CPO 226.

That said it has more to do with what fits you best.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:21 AM   #5
StainlessSteel215

My personal opinion....in order:

-Glock 22 or 23
-S&W MP40
-Springfield XD40

For the price range you are in and the items in your list...I will always point to Glock first for reliability, durability, accuracy, and capacity. However, the S&W MP40 is a very close second.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:51 AM   #6
TunnelRat

You've got Double Action Only (DAO), Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA), and striker safe-action type pistols on that list. My advice: figure out which trigger system you prefer first, it will help you immensely. You may very well change at a later date, but it will narrow the field.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 2, 2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Nathan

The post before this one made a good point.

Also, what do you want to use it for CCW, HD, Range gun, comp gun, etc?

In your list, I own and like the XD for HD. It has a good rail and is a super med capacity shooter.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Theohazard

TunnelRat hit the nail on the head. A lot of those are pretty good guns, but there a lot of differences there that just boil down to personal preference.

Speaking of personal preference, I always prefer a 9mm over a .40; the slight increase in power doesn't make up for the lower capacity and slower follow-up shots. Add in the fact that 9mm ammo is considerably cheaper than .40, and it's no contest between the two. But that's just my opinion, the .40 is a good round that serves many people just fine.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:39 PM   #9
coreck

i definitely want double/single action, i dont care if there is a safety,i do prefer new over used. i went and looked more today and narrowed it down to Glock 22, Px4 Storm, CZ P-07, and S&W MP40, used for home defense and ccw.
Comfort with my hand in order go's, PX4, CZ, MP40, Glock.

Last edited by coreck; October 2, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:50 PM   #10
WVsig

Quote:
i definitely want double/single action, i dont care if there is a safety,i do prefer new over used. i went and looked more today and narrowed it down to Glock 22, Px4 Storm, CZ P-07, and S&W MP40, used for home defense and ccw.
Well of the guns you have listed only the CZ and the Beretta Storm are DA/SA guns. The other two are striker fired DAO. If I were you I would add the Sig Pro SP2022 to your list. Great $400 Sig.

Also your intend use makes this a tougher call. You are looking for an all around gun which means you will have to give up something in order to accommodate all the rolls. For example house guns are typically larger than CCW guns.

I would try to shoot the ones you have narrowed the list down to. One will jump out at your and work better for you than another and you never really know which one until you have some trigger time on the gun. IMHO
Old October 2, 2012, 04:50 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
i definitely want double/single action, i dont care if there is a safety,i do prefer new over used. i went and looked more today and narrowed it down to Glock 22, Px4 Storm, CZ P-07, and S&W MP40, used for home defense and ccw
You definitely want DA/SA, yet a Glock 22 and S&W M&P 40 are on your list? These things are mutually exclusive amigo.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:57 PM   #12
coreck

i guess it also depends on the trigger, i pulled all of them today, and these felt the best, honestly i don't think i like the glock, but its so hard to go against it when i see so many people praising it as if it has superiority over most makes. I have heard that long term the glock will out preform the px4 storm or the CZ 1000 rounds or so down the road. (i don't know if this is true kind of new to guns).
Old October 2, 2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Water-Man

With your choices:

M&P40 or Glock22
Old October 2, 2012, 05:03 PM   #14
WVsig

Quote:
i guess it also depends on the trigger, i pulled all of them today, and these felt the best, honestly i don't think i like the glock, but its so hard to go against it when i see so many people praising it as if it has superiority over most makes. I have heard that long term the glock will out preform the px4 storm or the CZ (i don't know if this is true kind of new to guns).
Do you plan on shooting 20,000 plus rounds out of the pistol? If you are like most handgun owners it is doubtful you will send enough ammo down the pipe to wear out any of the guns on your list unless you do not properly maintain it or it is defective in some way.
Old October 2, 2012, 05:14 PM   #15
coreck

okay, that's good to know, i just plan on shooting around 45-60 rounds every other week.
Old October 2, 2012, 05:19 PM   #16
ScotchMan

Don't worry about round counts. All of these guns will last longer than you with some very basic maintenance (a spring here or there every 5,000 rounds).

I have experience with the Glock, PX4, and M&P. I would probably take the PX4 because they shoot great and I prefer hammer-fired guns. Tunnelrat is correct, you still haven't figured out whether you want a striker gun or a DA/SA. Do some Googling and find the difference between them, then decide.

I second the recommendation to add a Sig Sp2022 to your list, and also the Walther PPQ.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old October 2, 2012, 05:34 PM   #17
coreck

okay i will add the Walther and check it out. is the Sp2022 a lot better than the p250?
Old October 2, 2012, 07:01 PM   #18
TunnelRat

You're gonna find that we might prefer might not be the case for you. My advice is to go to a range and rent a bunch of options. Best way to learn what works for you.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:28 PM   #19
coreck

thanks for all the help, i really want to px4 because i like it, but i also want the best most reliable one. thats whats more important
Old October 2, 2012, 10:06 PM   #20
Nathan

I would get the PX4. I know nothing about it. It is as good a place as any to start your journey. My first handgun was a Taurus PT101. I really liked it because it could be run SA on safe or SA/DA with a decocker. It was ok, except the non-replaceable front sight was drilled off center and I never bothered to send it back.

In the end, it wasn't 100% reliable with all ammo and I soon decided I had 0 interest in DA/SA guns.

My next gun was a S&W M640. I own and CCW it still today.

If I were you, I might lean more toward Glock, XD and S&W M&P. I say this because these are more popular proven guns and frankly popular things like Glock, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, S&W revolvers, Colt 1911's, some Sig model are the standby which are well proven by millions of other people's rounds and testing $'s.

That was more or less where I failed with the Taurus, but it kept us safe for years and seemed to become much more reliable as the round count increased.

In the end, enjoy the journey and the learning.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:36 PM   #21
TacticalJOE

I own a P-07. Probably the most underrated firearm on your list. It is a cross between a Sig, and a USP. Feels absolutely wonderful, and fits a variety of hands right out of the box. Take down is easy, and it is a well made firearm. I needed to adjust my sights, as the rear was to the left. It shot extremely well at about 20 yards. I got only one jam from user error and not holding my wrist tight enough. It has a 1913 rail with a large trigger guard. It has a safety, or a manual de-cocker, which I have installed. It is quite the underdog gun, and I am glad I bought one. Everyone has Glock's and such, and I wanted to do something different.

Enjoy this video!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyzrag2UWiI
Old October 3, 2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Pianoguy

I have the Beretta and the Sig in 9mm and like them both. I like the Sig's DAO trigger better than the DA/SA of the Beretta and I also like the fact the Sig has no safety (especially the backwards one the Px4's have). But each has been rock solid and plenty accurate, with the Sig maybe being a little more so for me. The ones you mention all are a little different as to trigger, safeties, etc. I'd give the Bersa and Taurus a pass only becasue the others have a much better reputation. I don't think you'll get too much consensus out of that batch as to which is the best.
Old October 3, 2012, 12:42 PM   #23
Patriot86

The only gun up there I could vote for would be the S&W M&P40

If you increase your budget just a touch you can get an XD(m)40-which is a lot more bang for your buck IMO
Old October 3, 2012, 02:08 PM   #24
Crow Hunter

If you are wedded to .40 S&W, I would choose M&P 1st out of what you have listed. It was designed around the .40, many of the others on your list were not.

Beretta PX4 storm - Not really used by any major police force, some reputable trainers dislike due to durability/reliability (even the 9mm version and the .40 will be even harder on the guns parts). YMMV

Bersa Thunder - Never heard of a Bersa in .40, never heard of any police departments adopting or even authorizing them.

CZ p-07- Some people really like them, some don't. Well liked in competition circles

Ruger SR40 - No major police departments issue. Some reports of parts failures.

Sig Suaer P250 Nitron - VERY bad reputation, just do some Google searches, many major police departments dropped them hard due to reliability issues.

S&W M&P40 - Excellent reputation, many police departments adopted them, designed with the .40 in mind.

Taurus 840 - Taurus isn't known for high quality anything other than copies of the Beretta 92.

Springfield XD40 - Some people swear by them, others at them. No major police departments issue them. Do not have a good reputation in defensive training "experts" due to the grip safety. (I have personally had mud in the grip safety render one inoperative)

Glock 22 - Upscaled 9mm. Doesn't have the Glock reputation for durability that the 9mm does, has had cycling issues with mounted lights in the past. Supposedly fixed with the Gen 4 series.

As a new shooter, I would really recommend going with a 9mm. You will get similar if not identical results with quality expanding ammunition with cheaper practice ammo, less recoil and less wear/tear on the gun.

But it is your money. Go with what makes you feel comfortable.

Good luck.
Old October 3, 2012, 02:35 PM   #25
TailGator

If you feel good about the PX4, I say go with that. It fits your criteria, and there is a lot to be said for having a good gut feeling for a pistol.

You seem like you might be a beginner, and if so, the PX4 may be a particularly good choice in .40 because the rotating barrel tames recoil considerably, and .40 can be a bit snappy to learn on. My daughter has a PX4 Compact in 9 mm and recoil is really puny. That pistol has excellent fit and finish to go with excellent accuracy. Overall I find it a very impressive pistol.