The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 04:29 PM   #1
t45

22 RF...Are they even making any?

I know this has been talked about for the last several months but I have never seen it like this. I have not seen the 1st 22rf on a shelf in 5 months. Are they even in production? GB has 17 pages of 22rf in bulk anywhere from 500 rds to 5000rds. Are the 22rf being bought up and sold on these internet sites or are these stashes that people have brought out because of the shortage and production is low or non existant?
Old May 16, 2013, 04:31 PM   #2
t45

Sorry, can a moderator post this in the General Discussion thread.
Old May 16, 2013, 05:02 PM   #3
steveno

could be yes to both
Old May 16, 2013, 06:30 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

Yes, they're making it.
I was at a Cal-Ranch store earlier this week when a clerk at the checkout stand told somebody on the phone they had "enough for it to be here by the time you come in", and saw several boxes on my gunsmith's shelf yesterday.

It's being produced, it's being delivered, and it's being bought.
Denis
Old May 16, 2013, 07:14 PM   #5
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I was at Yadkin Armory today (a semi-local NC gun store). They had almost every caliber you normally see. I went to buy a thousand rounds of 5.56 for a weekend get-together. They had .22 in stock. I didn't buy any (I am pretty well stocked for now) but it was shocking to see. The only ammo the owner said they had recent problems getting, was 12 guage?..?. If it is a caliber I need, if I cannot find it at a LGS, I look at Midway USA, Brownells, or Grafs & Sons. If they don't have it, I get on the notify list and try to catch it when they get it in. The afore mentioned companies usually keep reasonable prices on most of their ammo.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 16, 2013, 07:44 PM   #6
s4s4u

They are making just as much of it now as they did before. They are not going to expand production for what is deemed to be a "short term" spike in demand. Problem is people are buying it up and selling it on-line at inflated prices, or filling up their cupboards for fear of future legislation. Folks are bound to run out of storage space eventually.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:13 PM   #7
weblance

I bought a 22 pistol last week. After the paperwork was done, the person who did my papers, asked if I needed ammo. He said they were only selling 22 ammo to those who bought a gun. I decided that maybe I should grab a box, and he came back with a brick of Federal Champion. $25.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Remington is actually doing a major expansion on their ammunition production. I was pleased to hear this even though I don't shoot a great deal of Remington. Maybe others will follow....
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 16, 2013, 08:50 PM   #9
B.L.E.

I think that the sheer number of new shooters may justify some expansion of ammo production, but I understand the ammo companies reluctance to expand production only to have idle and unpaid for machinery on their hands should this buying panic cease. It'll be like ticket scalpers stuck with unsold tickets for an event that happened yesterday.

Once a buying panic starts, it reinforces itself and takes on a life of its own. The buying frenzy causes empty shelves and the empty shelves feed the buying frenzy.
Once product starts appearing on the shelves again, it will put the brakes on the buying frenzy and that will result in even fuller shelves which puts the brakes on the buying frenzy even more and then you will see sales and discounts, the gun show venders will no longer be able to scalp ammo and will leave it in the stores for regular people to buy.
It might take a year or two but it will happen
Old May 16, 2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Live45

Was window shopping at a LGS that is known to be a ripoff (even before the panic) and saw they had plenty of CCI .22's for $10 a box or $100 per brick. Made me glad I reload .45's and sold my only .22 several years ago.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Rather than try to do a merge, I'm just going to close this one. Trying to merge it into the other thread would make a confusing mess since it would interleave the responses here with the responses there.