The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 27, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
SFsc616171

Rossi Model 851 "Colt Diamondback clone"

Hi folks!

I keep running across this particular revolver, so I ask for your input, please?

Descrip.:
Rossi Model 851, 6-shot, service size blued revolver. Four-inch full inderlugged barrel with Diamondback-style ribbing on the top of barrel. The barrel does not have that little extra, that was mounted on the crown of the real Diamondback. Target sights are adjustable. It is DA/SA, with the safety lock on the hammer. The cylinder release is more Sand W, then the tubular Colt design. Chambered in .38 Special. The black composite grips are checkered, with three finger grooves.

I think, without handling the revolver, that the composite grips do nothiing to add to the eye factor. I was thinking of finding a good set of wood grips, to further the 'clone' idea.

Do any of you nice folks have any other information on this particular revolver? Present price range, is an easy 1/3 of what most folks are asking for an out-of-production revolver.

Thank you.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Newton24b

the rossi 851 itself is out of production. it does look nice but youll need to peruse online for grips. i believe altamount grips makes wood for it.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
John D

I had one of these a long time ago. Probably worth $100-$175 now.

I'd spend a little extra and find a nice, used S&W model 10 - a great revolver that will hold it's value and last a lifetime.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Winchester_73

Rossi Model 851 as a Diamondback clone?

I don't even like Diamondbacks but I think this comparison is insulting to the Diamondback. The Rossi features a S&W style rear sight, S&W cylinder release, S&W style grips, S&W side plate, and they are even marked in the same usual areas. Only a brand new revolver guy would see such a gun as a revolver clone. I can tell you know some of the differences, but I, like many others can see that the Rossi has a vent rib barrel, but NOTHING else in common with the Diamondback. Rossi and Taurus are S&W copies, not Colt. Whether the gun has the famed vent rib is inconsequential when discussing which manufacturer was actually imitated.

Here is the diamondback, a deluxe colt target revolver. Too many differences for the two to be in the same sentence.

Last edited by Winchester_73; December 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

Tags
diamondback clone , rossi 851