The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1
T.A.Sharps

Inspect my First Reload Plan

My plan is using a "Lee Loader" hand tool. Not the press. I know it is a little unsophisticated, but its what I got.

So far I see a challenge with getting the seatting depth spot on a consistent round to round since there doesn't seem to be anything to lock the part that adjusts that. I've only been testing components so far, I plan to make a dummy round and measure every dimension of it before moving on.

The components I've selected are based off a load from one of those cheap one cartridge "Loadbooks" that look like they are photo copied from all the load manuals. It was the only source that I have that showed a load for the powder and bullets I have.

All normal case prep as stated in my Lyman and "ABCs of Reloading" manuals as SOP.

The components I've selected are:
Sierra 185gr JHP #8800
Alliant Unique powder
Federal Large Pistol primers
My once fired Remington brass

I am loading for use when I shoot ISPC(I still have to check power factor EDIT:checked it I actually have to load to 892fps minimum for PF), so my goal is lower recoil, I have been shooting 230gr Rem FMJ factory.

I am loading for the lowest velocity range the info gave under the Sierra load info section for the 185gr JHP #8800. My plan is to start at the lowest grains, and work up a tenth of a grain for 50 rounds at 10 shots each level. For example, I don't have the specific load with me right now, 5.6gr-5.7gr-5.8gr...

The velocity it listed was in the mid 700fps range.

I hope the light bullet with the lightest load will help me keep the front sight under control. And be a little cheaper.

I'm willing to consider other loads using Unique, 2400, or H4198(if I remembered the number right, its for my 45-70) all I have.

I only chose this bullet because it was the only 185gr bullet I could find locally at the time.

What do all of you think?

Last edited by T.A.Sharps; June 21, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old June 21, 2010, 05:51 PM   #2
govmule84

...Having just gotten intimately familiar with the Lee Loader, I don't think I am off when I say that I think you actually CAN lock your bullet seating depth. On the threaded portion of the main body, a lockring exists. When you make up your mock up round, start with the body unscrewed, and keep screwing it in/seating the bullet until you get to your manual's recommended COAL. Once there, you can spin back the lockring, double check one more time, and then leave it there until you begin reloading a different recipe that calls for a different COAL.

Hope that helps at least some...
Old June 21, 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Landric

I assume we are talking about .45 ACP here.

Unique is a fine powder for that application, though I haven't loaded with it for quite some time. I tend to prefer Titegroup for .45 ACP, but there are many other choices.

2400 is both too slow (and probably too bulky as well) for loading .45 ACP. At any rate its intended for magnum handgun and some rifle loads, not low pressure semi-auto handgun cartridges like the ACP.

4198 in both the Hodgdon and IMR forms is a rifle powder and in no way appropriate for handgun loads (unless one has a handgun shooting a rifle cartridge like a Contender or BFR).

So, with the powder selection you have, Unique is the way to go. I can't offer any specifics on what charge weight to use as I haven't loaded with it in years.

As for the Lee "whack-a-mole" loader, I haven't played with any of mine in a while, but IIRC one can set the seating depth. I can't recall right now how, but it should be in the directions.

Landric
Old June 21, 2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you've got a good plan going and these gents' seem to be able to help you with the Lee Loader.

You should work up at by .3gr (or at least .2) at a time. Any less is playing to close to the resolution of your scale, you won't really know if you're going up or not.

Quickload thinks that 6.4gr Unique will get you to 906fps with a 5" barrel with the Sierra 185s loaded to a length of 1.275. Without your exact gun data, I can't get you any closer than that. If it were me, I'd start there. That load is predicted to make just 12,254psi, about half the max pressure of 45acp.