The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Hoss Delgado

Extra shot in a magazine extension?

I recently bought a SureCycle 2-shot magazine extension for my Benelli Supernova. I installed it last night and I noticed something a little odd. Being a 2-shot extension for a gun with a 4+1 capacity, it should now be 6+1, right? Well, I noticed that I could load it to 7+1. And I didn't have to force it at all, the last round went in very easy. At first I thought I had just miscounted, and then I wondered for a moment if maybe I got a 3-shot by mistake, but based on the length of the extension that doesn't seem to be the case. Having the extra shot would be nice, but the thing is only supposed to hold 2 more, so I thought maybe I shouldn't do that.

So basically what I want to know is, is the any danger or other ill effects of using it as a 7+1 even though it's only supposed to be 6+1?
Old October 17, 2009, 02:42 PM   #2
TxGun

Did you change the spring, or are you using the stock spring? Maybe being a few coils short is what is allowing you to load 7? If so, the only issue might be one of function if the mag spring is too weak in the extended tube. OTOH, it may work just fine. Only way to know is try it.
Old October 17, 2009, 02:49 PM   #3
comn-cents

I would only load what is recommended. If you compress the spring to much it often ruins the integrity of the spring. It basically deforms it and it either won't last very long or at all.
Old October 17, 2009, 05:07 PM   #4
MAX100

You didn't say what barrel length, if the extension is even with the muzzle, length of the spring and is the follower metal.

It won't cause any problems or it won't damage the spring to load it to it's maximum capacity. The Mossberg 590 20" barrel holds 8 shells in the tube and Pistol & rifles mags are loaded to max capacity without spring damage.

Max capacity with a tube extension even the muzzle

18.5" barrel = 7+1
20.5 & 21" barrel 8+1

GC
Old October 17, 2009, 05:13 PM   #5
comn-cents

MAX that is correct loading to capacity won't hurt the spring and his capacity is 6. If you load more, you may deform the spring and it might not work.
Old October 17, 2009, 05:23 PM   #6
MAX100

Quote:
MAX that is correct loading to capacity won't hurt the spring and his capacity is 6. If you load more, you may deform the spring and it might not work.
I provided the correct info in my post above.

GC
Old October 17, 2009, 05:27 PM   #7
comn-cents

MAX if you noticed he said that his is designed for 6 but takes 7.
Old October 17, 2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Hoss Delgado

Yes, I changed the spring and replaced the default one with the longer one that came with the extension.

The barrel is 18.5" and the magazine with extension stops about a half inch before the barrel. And like I said, the weird thing is that the actual capacity is different from the stated capacity.
Old October 17, 2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Shells can vary slightly in length, does changing the brand alter the capacity?
Old October 17, 2009, 08:12 PM   #10
bigghoss

does it specify if the 6+1 capacity is with 3" or 2 3/4"? if 6+1 is with 3" then you could get an extra shot with the shorter length.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Hoss Delgado

I hadn't even thought about ammo brand, but now that you said it I went and tried a different one. That seems to be all it was. I had grabbed some cheap generic stuff, because that was the first thing I found. After your post I went and got some Remington shells and put them in. It stopped at 6 this time. I could almost get a seventh in, but not quite. This is despite both being labelled as 2 3/4" shells.

So I guess it was just a case of the ammo I was using being a little short rather than an issue with the extension itself. Thanks to everybody all the same though.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

Shotgun shell length is the length of a FIRED shell.
Many shells will vary in UNFIRED length.

Having slightly more or less room in a magazine tube with different brand or types of shells is common.
Old October 17, 2009, 09:58 PM   #13
MAX100

Now you see why I asked if the tube extension is even with the muzzle and what barrel length.

If they had made the tube extension even with with the muzzle there would be no problem with getting 7 in the tube with most shells, except shells that rolled crimped.

It makes one wonder why they chose to make a tube ext that is 1/2" too short.

GC
Old October 17, 2009, 10:05 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
It makes one wonder why they chose to make a tube ext that is 1/2" too short.
Half inch too short would be 1 and 5/8ths shells or so not the 2 the manufacturer claims...
If you mean, It makes one wonder why they chose to make a tube ext that is 1/2" shorter than the barrel, well that is obvious for those of us that only use shotguns rather than sell parts... If it were 1/2 inch longer, it wouldn't yield an extra shell... For every additional 2 3/4" shell they need about 3 inches to accommodate for the shell and spring... But what would I know... I am but a lowly consumer.
Brent
Old October 17, 2009, 10:16 PM   #15
Hoss Delgado

This is just a guess and I'm by no means a gungineer, but the extension I bought is listed as fitting a couple models of shotguns which to me seem very different. To copy and paste from the site: Beretta Xtrema, Xtrema2 and Benelli Nova & Super Nova and Charles Daly Shotguns

Maybe making it any longer would cause it to stick out too far on one of those other guns?
Old October 17, 2009, 10:34 PM   #16
MAX100

Quote:
If it were 1/2 inch longer, it wouldn't yield an extra shell... For every additional 2 3/4" shell they need about 3 inches to accommodate for the shell and spring... But what would I know... I am but a lowly consumer.
This is my experience from years of making tube extensions for many different shotguns.

If his tube extension was 1/2" longer and even with a 18.5" barrel he could easily get 7 in the tube with most 2 3/4" shells.. Do the math.

You need about 2.5" for a metal open end follower & an extra power compressed spring.

2 3/4" shells measure about 2.25" before fired.

7 x 2.25" = 15.75" that leaves 2.75" for the spring & follower. Plenty of room.

The Benelli shotguns have a little more length from the shell stop to the end of the mag tube than most shotguns. So there will be a little more room for the spring and follower than 2.75". That is one reason why he was able to get 7 in the tube with some shells.

GC
Old October 18, 2009, 01:07 PM   #17
4thPointofContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McC

Shells can vary slightly in length, does changing the brand alter the capacity?
Absolutely. As an example my Mossberg 930 SPX is rated for 7 in the tube, but if I load up with Federal LE132-00 buck then it becomes a 6-round tube.
The LE132's are about >.< longer than some other brands, add that up >......< and it became just enough to stop the 7th round from being loaded.

Switching to a M500 spring restored it to a full seven rounds with LE132
Old October 21, 2009, 01:35 PM   #18
GLShooter

The cumulative effect of the 2 3/4 inch shell spread across six rounds plus a little play in the original length results in the extra round capacity. I can load 9 in my Benelli Super 90 when I use custom 2" shells for IPSC matches. (gives me 11 shots total)

I doubt if you will over stress the spring for the amount of time you are having it loaded to the hilt unless you just load it up and let it set in the corner and even then I doubt if you would even notice it then.

Greg
Old November 11, 2009, 02:24 PM   #19

i recently bought a mossberg 835 and have been trying to find a tube extension for it. it is a 12 gauge with a 24" barrel. can anyone help?
Old November 11, 2009, 08:32 PM   #20
Dfariswheel

You can buy extensions made by Choate.

You can get them at Brownell's, Midway, and direct from Choate:

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...7&NewProduct=0
Old November 12, 2009, 12:17 AM   #21

thank you