The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Agent_of_Empire

Price on Shotgun Ammo

What is a good, cheap shotgun round to just get some trigger time and help someone try to learn a little more about shooting in general?

And about how cheap is it?
Old March 15, 2009, 08:22 AM   #2
MYSTERT85

i stock up at walmart you can get 100 shells of bird/trap for $20.99
Old March 15, 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
lipadj46

Just make sure you get the Federal bulk pack from Walmart. Stay away from the Winchester stuff.
Old March 15, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4
zippy13

Do you want good loads OR cheap loads? For good loads look for sales on tournament target loads by any major manufacturer. For cheap loads find specials on promotional loads. Inexpensive "quail and dove" loads are seasonally common. If you really want good AND cheap loads, then consider reloading.

You didn't mention what type of gun you have. Generally, the more complicated the gun the more finicky it may become: Hinge guns (SS, SxS, O/U) are the omnivores of the shotgun world -- they'll eat just about anything. Many subside on a diet of unsized reloads. Pump action guns can be troublesome if the shells are dimensionally out of spec, and you can have feeding problems. To the pump's feeding problems, with an auto-loader you can add the failure to cycle and or eject to the finicky shell problems.

I'm curious why lipadj46 cautioned against using Winchester "stuff". If their "stuff" doesn't work, then why is it so popular among the tournament shooters? Or, has he had problems with one specific Winchester load in a specific gun? I've shot the majority of my tournament 100-straights with Winchester AAs. However, I shoot an un-finicky O/U.
Old March 15, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I use the federal or winchester bulk from walmart. Both operate fine in my mossberg 500... Then to verify your point of aim coincides with point of impact I use the 15 count winchester slugs also from walmart at under 10 bucks...
Brent