The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 6, 2007, 09:57 PM   #1
bulldawg042

M&P?

What is the difference in M&P and civilian issue guns? I recently had the chance to buy a G27 for $350 with only 12 rounds shot thru it, but i was unfortunately out of town that weekend and it sold before i had the chance to get it. What is the difference in the M&P Glock 27 and the regular Glock 27 or the M&P AR-15s vs. civilian AR-15s?
Old October 7, 2007, 09:02 AM   #2
shepherddogs

There is no difference. The M&P is a recently introduced weapon from Smith and Wesson.
Old October 7, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Silvanus

I'm a little confused too. There are no "M&P" Glocks. There are Glock Glocks and Smith and Wesson M&P pistols. Two completely different guns.
Old October 7, 2007, 10:34 AM   #4
hpg

Quote:
The M&P is a recently introduced weapon from Smith and Wesson
The M&P is a totally new disign by S&W introduced in 2006, S&W's hopes to regain lost ground caused by previous owners of S&W. They are a good design, unfortunately for S&W, a little late? Only time will tell.

Glock does not make a M&P model. The Glock you can buy is the same Glock issued by many police agencies across the USA. Some may have the Policing Agency's Dept. Seal or name stamped into the gun......hpg
Old October 7, 2007, 11:33 AM   #5
AZGlock13

bulldawg042, Do you mean pistols designated to be sold to Law Enforcement (LE) originally from the factory? Sometimes companys like Glock and Sig will mark certain pistol boxes at the factory specifically for LE sales, where their certain distributors that participate in their LE sales program give these out to LE personnel at a discounted price (LE program price, which is usually cheaper than a non-LE could buy the same type of pistol at the same shop or another). Typically the only difference between a LE sales pistol package and the same pistol designated for normal customer sales, is the LE pistol box will come with three full capacity mags, instead of the normal two and a lot of the times (but not always) the LE version will come with factory night sights, but of course some non-LE versions come with factory night sights as well. If a LE marked box containing the full capacity mags is sold to a non-LE in most of the states (that don't have a mag capacity type law), it is not a big deal (at least as far the BATFE is concerned, the gun company might not be too happy with their distributor for doing this, but that's not your problem). However, if these LE marked pistol boxes (with mags greater than 10 rounds of capacity) are sold to non-LEs in states like CA and NY where that state has its own law abolishing new production mags (mags produced after the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban (AWB)) greater than 10 rounds for its non-LE residents, then there is a bit of a problem (state law violation). During the ten years of the '94 AWB, LE marked pistol package boxes could not be sold anywhere in the U.S. to anyone not an LE, or the BATF would have gotten involved since the '94 AWB was a federal law prohibiting non-LEs from possessing mags created after the enactment of the 1994 AWB in capacity greater than 10 rounds (mags produced before the enactment were grand-fathered (called pre-ban mags)). Hope this helps some.

Last edited by AZGlock13; October 7, 2007 at 02:15 PM.