The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Hallucinator

Good Ankle Holster

Is there such a thing as a good ankle holster? I've been thinking about one for my Smith 637, but I just can't believe yet that they won't slip or fall off.

Anybody have experience with a GOOD one?

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old August 26, 2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Go For Broke

There is only one ankle holster - It's a professional secret.

Renegade's Cozy Partner (Model 50).

They are in Phoenix, sorry I don't have better contact info.

If you can't find Renegade, you might check DeSantis, they made a knock off of the same holster.

The Cozy Partner is an 100% elastic pouch on a three inch velcro closed elastic band. NO straps, NO garter B.S.

Twenty years LEO, I have worn out four (about to order the fifth). When the Cozy Partner is put on it sinks slightly and turns behind the ankle bone and there it stays. Careful, you can cut off the circulation if you put it on too tight.

Good Luck,
Old August 27, 2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Hallucinator

Thanks, Go for Broke. I'll check it out.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old August 27, 2007, 08:08 AM   #4
bigger hammer

Here's my vote for the ankle holster from Renegade. I wore a Charter Arms bulldog .44 in one for years.

Last contact info I had for them was PO Box 31546, Phoenix, AZ 85046, 602.482.6777.
Old August 28, 2007, 10:44 AM   #5
xb40

ankle holster

Be aware that reguardless of the type of ankle holster you use, a blue gun will rust like hell, do to the sweat. Stainless will help.
Old August 28, 2007, 01:21 PM   #6
nemesis

Quote:
Be aware that reguardless of the type of ankle holster you use, a blue gun will rust like hell, do to the sweat. Stainless will help.
Galco's Ankle Glove uses sheepskin lining behind the holster to allow that area to breathe and reduce perspiration. The closed cell neoprene foam ankle band will not transfer perspiration to the holster.

Countless numbers of LEO's use these daily without any problems. Note: the Calf Strap is an optional accessory.

Old August 28, 2007, 11:30 PM   #7
Go For Broke

Hal,

If you are the type to test and try a bunch of holster, all I'll add is to at least start with Renegade. Either you won't be sorry or you'll never be satisified.

xb40 is right - stainless rules! But do blue if that's what you have. Its better to have, than have not.

Hey Lou - I started out with a chopped Bulldog. Carried it until it started "keyholing" at 7 yards. Now I carry a Taurus 445.

Why carry a .38 when a 44 is available? Silvertips of course!s

The holster Nemesis pictures clearly illustrates the issue I have with 99% of ankle holsters.

1. A strap to hold the gun in.
2. A strap to hold the holster up.
3. A leather holster that is attached to the elastic band. Dissimilar materials work against each other, i.e. the holster flops away from the band.

FYI - Galco makes great holsters, but their ankle holster is not one of them.

As I recall the Renegade and the knock off from De Santis use a sheepskin lining.

My Cozy Partner came off unintentionally only once. I was digging in a narrow trench for a foundation. As I stepped, I brushed against the form and the wood peeled the elastic band open.

Best wishes,

Last edited by Go For Broke; August 30, 2007 at 06:53 PM.