The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 21, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1
BC Mike

Location: Beautiful British Columbia next to the Coastal Mountains & Blue Pacific
S&W 686 or 627 for IPSC?

Ok I'm going to try some PPC/IPSC shooting and have narrowed my wheelgun choices down to either the 686 or the higher priced 627. Two questions: Is the 627 worth the extra cash and what work would either need to get it compeition ready i.e. getting trigger pull down etc.
Thanks,
Mike
Old April 22, 2007, 05:02 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

A33102

I started with a pair of 4" Ruger GP100 357's; graduated to a 44 Magnum 5.5" Redhawk; went on with 5.5" 41 Magnum and 45 Colt Redhawks; now using a 7.5" 357 Redhawk (almost) exclusively.

The 'correct' IPSC wheel is a N-framed S&W moon-fed 45 ACP or 10mm/40 S&W.

Buy whatever gun feels best to you; you have tried them both, haven't you?
Old April 22, 2007, 11:47 AM   #3
BC Mike

Location: Beautiful British Columbia next to the Coastal Mountains & Blue Pacific
So it would be safe to say you sort of like Ruger? I like Ruger single action wheelguns but to be honest I haven't tried any of the Redhawks.

I remember the days when we (in Canada) could own 4" and less barreled guns. Now we are so "progressive" with gun laws that anything less than 4.1" is not allowed. I'm sure it wasn't intended to cut out about 58% of pistols and revolvers on the market. Not a rant, just an observation. Thanks for the advice,
Mike
Old April 22, 2007, 07:58 PM   #4
eerw

For USPSA..the gun to have is the 625..
main reason..easy to reload, major caliber and holds only 6.

if you fire more than 6, welcome to open division.

main things..is sights you can see, smooth action and chamfered cylinders..
Old April 22, 2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Ken O

+1 on the 625. I don't know why you would go any other way for revolver.
Old April 22, 2007, 09:40 PM   #6
8ring

The SW 625 in .45acp with a 5 inch barrel is the gold standard of competition revolvers in USPSA (IPSC) competition.

There are several alternatives for beginners. A SW 686 or Ruger GP 100 can get you started, especially if you modify the cylinder to accept moonclips. I started IPSC with a GP100 in .357 with moonclips. Shooting a 125+ round match got a little tiresome, even with my somewhat downloaded .357 reloads.

An SW 610 with .40 caliber is useful but the reloads will be a little slower than a 625.

Finally, you can shoot .44 Special in a SW 629 (or Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk) and modify the cylinder to use moonclips.

When all is said and done, you will eventually get a SW 625, so why not begin there?

Chris

Last edited by 8ring; April 22, 2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Incomplete message
Old April 22, 2007, 11:13 PM   #7
glockopop

I feel your pain, man. N frames just aren't as comfortable for me to handle as K frames are, and I just don't want a 625 because I'm a contrarian. What you may want to do is get an S&W .38 or .357 and shoot it anyway. You probably won't beat any other revolver shooters, but at this point you probably weren't gonna beat 'em yet anyway. If you get a 627, a 686Plus, or any other more than 6 shooter, you also have the option of shooting it in Production. Again you'll be at a disadvantage, but that's how it is.

I, for one, would like to see the USPSA do like the IDPA and have a separate class for revolvers loaded without moonclips, as most 625s are used by competition shooters and there really aren't any other options.
Old April 24, 2007, 10:36 AM   #8
CarbineCaleb

I think that up to 5-inch barrel and 6 shots are 'approved'. That means you want exactly a 5-inch barrel and no more than 6 shots, which leaves out any recent stock 686s.

I suppose you could get a 6-inch 6-shot 686 cut down/rebarreled to 5-inch and get the cylinder machined for moonclips, nothing really exotic there, and it would be a little lighter and handier. See for example:
http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp

But it'd be cheaper, faster and easier to just get a 5" N-frame moonclip-ready .45ACP - that already matches the game right from the factory.

Last edited by CarbineCaleb; April 24, 2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old April 24, 2007, 08:11 PM   #9
FM12

I think you should buy both, shoot til you decide which is better for you, and give me the other!! I will share in the shipping expense (50/50), I dont want you to have to bear all the expenses!!

OTOH, I love all Smith revolvers, J, K, L & N frames...you pays your money and takes your choice...if you have a local range, might visit and try some rounds downrange in either a range renatl gun or a members loaner. Stay safe, welcome to the forum. Let me know when you need my shipping address!!(Wink)
Old April 30, 2007, 11:08 PM   #10
8ring

You can use whatever barrel length you want in USPSA revolver competition. People use the five inch SW 625 because it has a longer sight radius along with less recoil and muzzle rise compared to the four inch model with similar loads. (IDPA rules require that the barrel be no longer than four inches.)

Folks also use the SW Model 25 with a six and a half inch barrel or the SW 686 or Ruger GP-100 with six inch barrels.

If you're planning on using a J frame or K frame revolver, you should plan on using .38 Special at minor power factor. "A" zone hits are worth 5 points in both major and minor power factor; "C" and "D" zone hits are worth less in minor power factor.

Chris
Old May 29, 2007, 01:08 AM   #11
sargenv

Production with a 686+ or 627 would be difficult since you have to wear your ammo to the rear of your hip joint. Limited 10 would be more apropriate and one of our top ICORE revo guys uses his 627 to shoot L10. Another of our very good ICORE guys had used his open 627 ICORE gun to make USPSA B class in Open. It can be done, but it takes a tad more dedication. I personally shoot a 610 classic with a 6.5" tube utilizing Minor ammo as I shoot it faster and recover faster than if I shoot major. The 625 is the common IPSC revolver. I like the 610 since I also shoot a 40 cal Limited and Production guns and I can swap ammo out between the three divisions.
Old June 3, 2007, 08:42 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

quality fondling

I have recently been admiring the new(er) S&W M10 with the heavy barrel; I'd need speedloaders and a Minor load......
Something about a well-tuned K-frame (AND I have names of some S&W PC 'smiths).