The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 09:33 PM   #1
scotzz

Beretta Neos Failure to Feed

Took my new Neos to the range for the first time today. Loaded a mag full of Federal Premium .22 LR 21 grain, pulled the trigger and.............nothing. Racked the slide again, pulled trigger and the same, nothing. Finally got it to feed but experienced occasional jamming. Switched to Federal Premium 40 grain target and had some problems as well. Ran over 100 rounds through two magazines and couldn't get the first round to chamber with the last full mag. Shop where I bought it says I should only load 5 rounds until it is broken in and use CCI ammo. Any thoughts?
Old February 24, 2013, 01:07 AM   #2
onewhisper

Sorry to hear you had trouble

I picked up a new Neos last month and it has performed well with Federal 36 gr (325 pack), Winchester 36 gr (525 pack), Stingers, as well as some very old Reminton 40 gr, old CCI hollow points and Minimags. Did you get a good strike mark on the rounds that didn't fire? The first thing I would check is the firing pin and the spring to make sure there is not some factory grease or excess oil/grime that is causing it to strike lightly. You could pull the trigger with a piece of spent brass in the chamber a few times, rotating it to get a look at a few strikes and make sure they are uniform.

As for feeding, the first round always chambers fine for me. I have found that failures to feed occur mid magazine and are usually my fault - a weak grip will occasionally cause a round to hang on the ramp. If the slide is traveling freely and quickly it always chambers the round. Is the slide moving freely when you hit the release? Loading only five seems a little extreme - you might try nine for a while but I have not experience this problem.

Using CCI is a good idea - if you can find it. I am sure some of the more experienced members will better outline what could be causing the problem. I cleaned mine thoroughly before the first trip to the range with almost no lube on the firing pin/spring but a well oiled slide. Best of luck.

js
Old February 24, 2013, 07:13 AM   #3
mes228

Neos

I suspect something wrong and I'd send it back or try a different mag. I have a Neos and it has proven to be the most reliable .22 semi pistol I've owned and I've owned several. The quality of the 2 mags that came with mine is really good, and they are very easy to load. I've fired close to 1500 rounds and have had zero malfunctions and only one round failed to fire. The round was stuck hard twice and still failed to fire.

I've fired a couple brands of ammo. However the vast majority has been the Federal Auto Target (or similar name?) sold by Walmart in 325 round boxes. I've found the Federal reliable, accurate and affordable (of course Walmart has none now). Something may be wrong with your pistol or mags to have that many failures to feed, in my non-expert opinion. Most reviews of the Neos I've read seems owners find them reliable.

As an aside I run all my pistols lubed with RemOil (I like the Teflon, it remains after the visible oil is gone) and Sentry High Slip Grease. I cannot recommend the Sentry High Slip enough. I think it the best available. Will not thicken at 65 below zero and lubes to 700 degrees above zero. Does not wash off in water either. Also is approved by the military for Spec. Forces and Seal Teams according to the label. Also does not dry out in storage. I recently fired my AR rifle that was lubed with the stuff approx 2 years ago and stored. Ran slick as a whistle with no additional lube. Great stuff.

Last edited by mes228; February 24, 2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:36 AM   #4
certified106

Beretta Neos Failure to Feed

I have never had an issue like that with mine. Right from the get go I loaded up my ten round mags full and it was flawless. Did you clean the gun and mags really well? The only time I have had problems is after hundreds of round the feed ramp gets gunked up and can cause the rounds to not feed as they stick on the ramp. I really hope you get it figured out as I have loved my Neos! I have thousands and thousands of flawless rounds through mine and it gets used weekly.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:37 AM   #5
scotzz

Problem I am experiencing is mainly feeding the first round from a fresh mag. maybe I am riding the slide............I don't just flip the release lever and let it slam shut..............maybe I'll try this.........no issues with firing when it feeds correctly
Old February 24, 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
ScottRiqui

I don't have any experience with the Neos, but I have fired several other .22 pistols where the slide/spring combo had *just barely enough* "oomph" to strip the top round from a fully-loaded magazine, but no extra, so that riding the slide forward at all, or not pulling it all the way to the rear when you "slingshot" the slide would cause feed problems.

If it feeds fine when it's being cycled by the recoil, but has problems with the first round, then I'd think there's something different about feeding that first round - either excessive spring pressure from the fully-loaded magazine, or something amiss with your technique in releasing the slide (or both).
Old February 24, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
SteelChickenShooter

I owned and used two of these pistols with no problems at all.
One with a dot installed, the other without. No ammo trouble, no malfunction ever. I always pulled the slide back and let 'er slam that round into battery as I do with any of my other pistols.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Nathan

This is a classic failure to feed...I'm guessing either a bad mag or bad mag catch.

To test this theory, load the mag up and hold the mag as high as possible in the gun by resting the mag on a bench of pole and trying first round feeds. If it works, the Beretta will have to tell you which is bad.

Dropping the slide with the release is a good way to make sure you are not riding it forwards, but I was under the impression that your failure is no round in the gun when you pull the trigger the first time. Did I get this wrong?

Last edited by Nathan; February 24, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

That is unusual. I would stick with CCI until broken in. If it works with you only loading 5 rounds in the mag, then there's probably a mag issue. If it doesn't work in the first few mags, send it back to the mfr. I have 3 of these guys and they are some of the most reliable plinking pistols. BTW, did you clean the gun before taking it to the range?
Old February 24, 2013, 05:03 PM   #10
TailGator

Forgive me if this is too basic, but on my Neos, the mags seat a little deep and sometimes needs a tap to seat fully.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Mr_Jumper

1. Clean the gun thoroughly.
2. Run CCI until broken-in (100 rds or so)
Old February 25, 2013, 11:48 PM   #12
rrockefe

I had a problem with my NEOS firing the last round in a 10 round full mag. Tried several things to no avail. Changed ammo and it never failed again. Now using CCI. Still have no good explanation why it only failed on the last round in the mag. All priors fed and fired correctly.
Old February 26, 2013, 02:48 AM   #13
swfan

i just bought and fired my neos for the first time at the range and had the same issue the very first mag with cci 40 grain wouldn't load the first bullet

i also noted the mag sits deep/
high

after putting less than 10 it worked fine and shot some 200 with only 2 failures to eject one was stovepiped

in the end annoying overall for first couple rounds but still trying to break it in and see
i also noted you should tighten the barrel nut really well to prevent wobble
Old February 26, 2013, 03:46 PM   #14
scotzz

I wound up going back to the range the next day with a couple of different types of ammo.........Remington, CCI and Federal. Same thing happened with CCI. I took the magazine back out, pulled the slide open until it locked and reinserted magazine. Then, I decided to just use the release lever and let the slide snap shut on its own.....this is what the owner's manual says to do although I still think what I did before should have been fine. Anyway, using this method, I had no failure to feed issues at all going through about 8 full magazines. I used both magazines filled to the max (10 rounds). I did have one failure to fire, ejected that round, and the next round loaded without problem. Next time I go back I'll try some different things.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:09 PM   #15
Valerko

"Problem I am experiencing is mainly feeding the first round from a fresh mag. maybe I am riding the slide............I don't just flip the release lever and let it slam shut..............maybe I'll try this.........no issues with firing when it feeds correctly"

There's your answer. No problems to feed after you " ride the slide"
Each shot you take is just like letting the slide " slam " down
There's no need to " ride " it.
I have close to 1k rounds thru my Neos in little over a month since I've got it.
I only had one or two failure to fire and that wasn't the gun.