The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2013, 10:44 AM   #1
MarcB

New to this forum

Hello all. My name is Marc and I've been reloading and casting my own bullets since I was 13 years old. (I'm now 61). I used to own a gun shop on the west coast and bought direct from most manufactures. We were the largest distributor of Hornaday Products, Winchester Rifles and Ammo west of the Mississippi River.I stockpiled a lot of stuff before retiring and am shocked as to the prices nowdays. For example we used to sell primers for 69 cents!
I have a small (compared to some) collection of firearms. My favorite ones are my Contender which I have barrels ranging from a 22 Hornet to a 454 Casull Mag. My favorite rifles are my 220 swift, 257 Roberts and my 50-140 Sharps.
Most of the gun powder I have in my magazine isn't made anymore, but I have a wealth of info on what I do have and can help those that have some of these older powders and I'm sure that I'll learn new things here too.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2
j357

Welcome aboard MarcB. Glad to have you with us. Sounds like your knowledge and experience will fit right in.
Old January 9, 2013, 01:49 PM   #3
BigJimP

Welcome...and thanks for telling us a little bit about yourseld...

A lot of guys on this forum have been shooting and reloading for a long time ( me for about 50 yrs too )....but I don't cast anything ...
Old January 9, 2013, 05:08 PM   #4
hooligan1

I welcome you also MarcB, this is a great forum, you'll learn to separate the wheat from the chaff as time goes. There are a slough of veteran gunmen on this forum who know what they're talking about, and a great staff of moderaters, who are knowledgeable in their own rite.
Enjoy!
Old January 9, 2013, 06:48 PM   #5
serf 'rett

All Hail the new old guy...or would that be the old new guy?

Glad to have you aboard.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
MarcB

Thanks for the welcome. Like I said I'm a lurker. My gun powder is so old that most is not made so I won't be much help there but maybe I can contribute in other ways.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:51 PM   #7
ZOOM2X

I'm not only new to the forum but new to reloading. I've been reading for a while and getting to understand. Even met a guy at the LGS ( local gun store) and he let me come over and load some, He and his dad had quite a collection and lots of experience. Both LEOs.

Where do you now live? I'm in Johnson City, TN

NRA Benefactor
Old January 10, 2013, 11:57 PM   #8
+1k ammo

Welcome -Wow, loading since 13! I have been shooting since a young age, but only recently reloading.

Despite your aging powder, I am sure you have a wealth of info on reloading.

As my title indicates, I am fascinated with stock piling ammo! I am new and not have much time, so I tend to shoot up what I make so am never really stock pilling!

I guess I could have worse problems!
Old January 11, 2013, 12:46 PM   #9
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Welcome to the TFL forums Marc ! I've got a couple of years on you , but we've been reloading for about the same amount of time . I have a few older powders myself , some of it makes me wonder why it became obsolete . Do you have any W-785 ?
Old January 11, 2013, 06:16 PM   #10
MarcB

I live in, do I dare say it, in the anti-gun Calif. And yes I have a pound of W-785. Mostly I use H4227 H110 H380 H870 HS-6 and Trap100 I used to by direct from Hodgdon so that's why so many powders form one company. Only other powder I have a lot of is Accurate H680 for my 264 mag and it eats powder like it free.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:03 AM   #11
jj320

Welcome aboard i am also new to the group and have found a great deal of information on the boards