The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2009, 07:57 AM   #1
jtravisbayne

Alliant Power Pistol

Can anyone recommend a good source for 9mm load data for Alliant Power Pistol? Alliant's website only lists 3 bullets for 9mm: 147gr, 124gr & 115gr; all Gold Dot Hollow Points. I'm interested in load data for 115gr plated bullets or 125gr hard cast. I picked up a pound of this powder to try out, but I'd like to avoid purchasing jacketed bullets just for target shooting if possible.

I'm not asking for recipes, but rather, do any of the current manuals, ie. Lyman, Hornady, etc have a wider selection of loads for this powder?

Thanks a lot

Travis
Old March 11, 2009, 08:12 AM   #2
45Marlin carbine

I use PP for my jacketed slug 9mm loads but any cast slug loads in all pistols I load for I use Red Dot or BullsEye.
Old March 11, 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

yes I hugged my Power Pistol today

My Speer #13 has some data (and recall many of their handgun bullets ARE 'plated').

That said, my experience suggests a start load of 6.0g under that 115g, and a start load of 5.4g under the 125g cast.
These start loads offer safe 'room'......
Old March 11, 2009, 03:45 PM   #4
JDG

With Power Pistol, start loads are usually where I stop. 5.5gr works good in both 115, and 124 loadings.
Old March 11, 2009, 03:58 PM   #5
tiberius10721

i love bullseye for automatic pistol cartridges
Old March 11, 2009, 04:23 PM   #6
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravisbayne View Post
Can anyone recommend a good source for 9mm load data for Alliant Power Pistol? Alliant's website only lists 3 bullets for 9mm: 147gr, 124gr & 115gr; all Gold Dot Hollow Points. I'm interested in load data for 115gr plated bullets or 125gr hard cast. I picked up a pound of this powder to try out, but I'd like to avoid purchasing jacketed bullets just for target shooting if possible.

I'm not asking for recipes, but rather, do any of the current manuals, ie. Lyman, Hornady, etc have a wider selection of loads for this powder?

Thanks a lot

Travis
You could try the current Lyman manual for loads. In my experience, Power Pistol is best used with jacketed bullets. It's primarily a high velocity powder, and high velocity with lead bullets usually equals a leaded barrel.

I use it with 124gr FMJ for primary target load in my CZ75–it's a good powder, but probably not the best to use with lead bullets.

If you can keep the velocity under 1200fps, you should be just fine with plated bullets.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:18 PM   #7
mrayw

pp

I have both hornady reloading book and richard lee's modern reloading which is a great resource book. I use power pistol in 9mm,38 and 45 all using lead.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:27 PM   #8
tom234

Best to get a Lyman Reloading handbook for lead loads. Alliant is part of ATK which Speer is a part also. Consequently, Alliant load data comes from Speer and Speer only makes jacketed bullets. There is no lead bullet data listed for 9mm, .40 S&W, or 10mm.
Try this:
http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/de...Source=Alliant
Old March 12, 2009, 06:59 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

oddly (?)

I notice my Speer makes lead (swaged), plated, and jacketed bullets in .355".....

I have never noticed Power Pistol causing leading in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.
But I haven't tested in every gun ever made
Old March 18, 2009, 03:57 PM   #10
jtravisbayne

Response From Alliant

If anyone is interested, I received the following from Ben in Alliant's Customer Service Dept:

I suggest that you try 5.5 grs of Power Pistol with your 115 gr plated
bullet. With the 125 gr lead bullet, try about 5 grs. In both
instances, reload just a few to begin with to be sure they properly
cycle the action of your pistol. Thanks for your interest in our powder
and let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a nice day.

Travis
Old February 6, 2011, 09:01 AM   #11
ojibweindian

I'm a bit late to this thread, but wanted to add my two cents. I've found a Power Pistol load that pretty much mirrors what Ben from Alliant's CS said (see previous post). The load is 5.1 grains of Power Pistol, a Federal SP primer, and a 125 LRN from Missouri Bullet Company.

The load is easy on the hand, easy on the gun, and chews out the center ring of a target at 15 yards. At 25 yards, off-hand, I get 3.5" 5-shot groups. This is all out of an XD9 Service.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:56 AM   #12
Sevens

One of the world's not so best kept secrets: Alliant offers great powder, but the reloading data on their website sucks out loud. They only seem to offer advice for Gold Dot bullets. I can't imagine many handloaders use Gold Dot bullets.

What that means is that they offer data for some of the hottest, hi-test loads and if you get anything from looking at their online data, it's that these should be considered max loads in any bullet weight/caliber. Doesn't make it an appropriate load, but if you are going to even bother looking at their online data, at least that's [i]something[/u] you can take away from the experience.

I have always (well, mostly) had good response from Ben at ATK also and I would suggest that anyone using any Alliant powder to not be at all shy about shooting Ben an e-mail for some real, useful load data. Insert a snarky comment about excessive data for the Gold Dot bullets that most handloaders on a budget wouldn't even consider buying, too!

One work around that still keeps Alliant in the loop is to snag one of their printed guides if you spot one. I have one from 2005 that I still trust to at least give me a few more options -- and still consider as data from the powder manufacturer.

In Power Pistol, the '05 printed guide shows these items for 9mm:
115gr FMJ -- max load of 6.7 grains for 1,280 FPS and 33,500 PSI, min COAL of 1.12"

124gr FMJ -- max load of 6.6 grains for 1,235 FPS and 34,000 PSI, min COAL of 1.15"

125gr LRN, load not listed for this bullet with Power Pistol.

I will also add that I've loaded thousands of rounds of 125gr Dardas cast LRN and I've loaded them with Power Pistol and shot them through two different 9mm pistols and leading is simply not something that has occurred to any objectionable level. In fact, I consider 200 to 300 rounds of 125gr LRN in 9mm (back by Power Pistol) my load to prove that a pistol is worthy!

Now, through the K-T Sub2k, I made myself a leaded-up mess. That was my fault, but I did it on purpose so that I would know if it would or would not. And it sure did.

Seeing what other folks have been loading with this powder and a cast lead bullet, I'm considering reducing my load to see if I can tighten up my groups... but the load I'm using is a good bit warmer than what's been posted. Leading hasn't been a problem for me in 9mm. (I've done my share in .45, though!)
Old February 6, 2011, 02:43 PM   #13
DarthNul

The Hornady book has good data. PP is what they recommend most for 9mm.

Pick up a 9mm "Loadbook". They compile data from several sources. Each "book" covers only one caliber. The books are cheap too (and they look it).
Old February 7, 2011, 09:42 AM   #14
gregjc9

I primarily use my Sierra and Hornady manuals, they seem to have everything I need. I'm also beginning to migrate away from Power Pistol and use W231 instead for my 9mm and 45ACP. Just seems to burn a little cleaner, and a little more accurate.

Greg
Old February 7, 2011, 08:34 PM   #15
bluetopper

I shoot my 9mm cast loads for accuracy and groupings out of my 1911 at 25yds. I have found 147gr cast bullets shoot quite a bit tighter groups for me than the lighter bullets. Green Dot and American Select have been stellar performers for me.
Old February 8, 2011, 12:02 AM   #16
azklmsr

PP with LRN

Likewise, I shoot a ton of Power Pistol in 9mm.

My CZSP01 works very well.

My rapid fire practic load is 125 gr LRN on top of a load that is stiffer than that shown for LRN above, but well below 6 gr. My gone has never had a problem with leading and clean it about every 1000 rnds

A very warm load of PP is my SD load, 115 and 124.

Good, clean loads, that are repetative and capable.
Old February 8, 2011, 06:49 AM   #17
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have been shooting 11 gr Power Pistol 158 gr 1.169".

If there were a book load for 158 gr, Quickload thinks it would be 5.4 gr.
If there were a book load for 147 gr, Quickload thinks it would be 5.6 gr.
If there were a book load for 124 gr, Quickload thinks it would be 7.1 gr.
If there were a book load for 115 gr, Quickload thinks it would be 7.5 gr.

So I am shooting more than a double load, because that is all the powder that will fit. But then, I am an untrained amateur with a background in experiments. Most other hand loaders should just follow the recipes.
Old February 8, 2011, 09:01 PM   #18
azklmsr

Very Hot loads

These loads are in a 9MM?

What gun did you fire them in?

How did you get that much in the case?
Old February 9, 2011, 07:37 PM   #19
Clark

Quote:
azklmsr

Very Hot loads
These loads are in a 9MM?

What gun did you fire them in?

How did you get that much in the case?
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I use 9mm RP primed brass for hot loads and do not re use them

That was with a ~ 1990's Kel-Tec P11 9mm pistol that has been slightly throated to take a 158 gr .358" LSWC at 1.169" over all length. The loaded ammo is resized to fall into and out of the chamber. Otherwise, the bullet will pinch and the primer will pierce at 8 gr in the work up. There is so much powder compressed in there, that the bullet and case become bulged. Resizing the loaded ammo makes the cartridge withing size specifications. The carbide ring in a Lee factory crimp is larger than a sizing and is designed for this, but any sizing die works, if used judiciously.

The main things I look for to determine a starting load in a work up for a semi auto pistol is case support and chamber wall thickness.

I just measured 8 different 9mm pistol designs and the chamber wall thickness varies between .980" for a Beretta FS and 1.360" for a Star Super-B.

The Kel-tec P11 has chamber walls at .105"

Someone with a Dillon loaded me a large quantity of 10 gr Power Pistol 124 gr flat point. Shooting this from the Kel-Tec chronographs at 1336 fps and the recoil really hurts. But in one of the Beretta 92 pistols, with heavy slide and wide frame grip, there is no recoil pain.

I have measured the case support in various 9mm pistols that vary from .145" to .190", with .190" being the most common.

The web of a 9mm cartridge case head is .160" thick, leaving .030" of thin unsupported case wall in the .190" support barrels. But the case wall is ~ .015" thick, so it is not a long span, compared to some pistols sold as 40sw, 10mm, or 45acp.

I speculate that lawyered up risk averse corporations would copy the 9mm example and offer +P+ ammo for 40sw, 10mm, and 45acp if no pistols were manufactured with more than .030" of thin case wall left unsupported.

The Kel-tec P11 has .190" case support.
Old August 3, 2011, 10:00 PM   #20
marineimaging

9mm Power Pistol

I started with PP and then tried Win 231 and HP 38. The latter are so close they don't make much difference. I'm shooting them in a Hi-Point Carbine and SR-9, Llama Mini-Max. The leading with the Win 231 and HP 38 seemed worse. The PP seems to be a slower powder and works best in the carbine but I had to load toward the higher side to get consistent action in the blow-back style pistols.
Old August 4, 2011, 03:19 AM   #21
BigPapa4147

I've had good results using 5grs PP under a Berry's 124gr plated round nose bullet, CCI small pistol primer and mixed brass. I havn't noticed any lead or copper fouling. It shoots the same as Winchester White Box factory ammo (at least to me).
Old August 4, 2011, 04:26 AM   #22
excelerater

9x19 124/125g LRN / TCJ-RN / FMJ-RN:

OAL 1.100--1.155" based on specific gun and bullet, suggest 1.135" start;
CCI500;
sized case new or used, sorted by headstamp;
start 5.2g Power Pistol, MAX 6.4g, suggest 5.4g.