The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old March 27, 2010, 06:42 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

A Soldier Died Today by Yoda (Louis Awerbuck)

Awerbuck's editorial in the May 2010 of SWAT is a sad but poignant commentary on the state of this nation's media. It is all smoke and mirrors designed to distract us from reality and to keep us in the dark about the nation's state of affairs. From celebrities to sensationalism (witness the King riots of the '90s), the media's manipulation has risen to the level of abuse such that one is probably better off ignoring it or if they want to learn about current events, compelled to distill it down to three or four word summaries just to get to the unadultered truth. Like Goebbel's propaganda machine, the major news media teaches us what to think, not what is the news. One need only compare the foreign news service to our own to see the pathetic state of our news industry.
Old March 28, 2010, 01:42 PM   #2
cannonfire

I was looking to be the first to post this!

I read that article last night and am now convinced that that was the best piece of writing I have ever read. Honestly. I'm not talking about comparing it Poe or anyone but honestly, I have never read something so true. I immediatley cut the article out and hung it on my refrigerator at home so everyone can read it. Hopefully this will give my little brother who is already inspiring to be a Marine to actually go forth and do it.

I'm a Marine reservist who has been playing with the idea of going to the Rangers when my contract is up and I can honestly say that after reading the small bit about Pat Tillman, that my mind is 100% made up in doing so.

Great article and great point, I wish everybody could read that!
cannonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

I agree it was a great editorial; so much so that I put it up front in place of my usual Briefing Room column. I'll pass your thoughts on to Louis.
Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2010, 07:02 PM   #4
DRice.72

Is there a link to read that article online? If so I'd like to read it.
DRice.72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010, 10:22 AM   #5
hagar

Just like myself, Louis is an ex South African now living in the US. And being an outsider sometimes give you a better view of the lies and fraud being perpetrated, we have not been "conditioned" (brainwashed?) as much as the locals..:barf:
Old April 19, 2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Steve Fogleman

Awerbuck the writer

Louis Awerbuck is a very good writer and in all ways important is as good an American as Patrick Henry and George Mason. Like many of our founders, he is a student of human nature and history.

His OP/ED entitled: "A Soldier died Today" is a must read for patriots. We have become too complacent to remember how much our military pays so we can be the way we are.

His T & T piece on western movies and what can be learned in the same SWAT is good as well.
Steve Fogleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 03:41 PM   #7
DRice.72

I finally tracked that article down. Very moving piece, and very reflective of society today. Its a shame.
Old June 10, 2010, 10:06 AM   #8
DRice.72

I would like to post a link to this article on my Facebook page so what few friends I have can read it. Is there a link available on the magazine website? I have looked and didn't see one, but I may not be looking in the right area. I found the article on another web site, but I'd really like the link to go either to the magazine or Mr. Awerbuck himself to insure proper credit is given.