The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 4, 2008, 09:59 AM   #1

effective range with a 20ga slug

what would the effective range be with a 20ga,rifled barrel 18.5" using a sabot slug....i want to buy a 20ga 870 with the rifled barrel for deer hunting.....would a 200 yard shot be effective?or stay in the limits of 100 yards?
Old October 4, 2008, 10:26 AM   #2
bswiv

Having used the Hornady sabots a bit I will offer this opinion.

It's not the ENERGY of the projectile at 200 yards that is the limiting factor but rather it is the TRAJECTORY and ACCURCY that seem to be the limiting factors.

Check the tables and you will find what I am talking about. I think the 100-125 range is about it if you want to be sure not to leave a wounded aminal in the woods, which is always a bad thing.
Old October 4, 2008, 10:29 AM   #3

can i expect 1"-2" accuracy out of the sabots?

thanks for the reply
Old October 4, 2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Sportdog

Shoot the load at various distances and check your accuracy. My all time best shot on a deer with a shotgun was a 20 gauge, 18 1/2" barrel smoothbore with foster type slug at a distance of 140 yards. Should I have taken the shot......NO. The point that I am making is that the slug or sabot bullet will do the job at any distance that you can shoot with a good degree of accuracy. Even at 140 yards that slug was a complete pass through the heart/lung cavity resulting in a very dead deer. As long as you can hit where you are aiming, the shotty will do the job.
Old October 4, 2008, 10:43 AM   #5
lockedcj7

1-2" at 100 yds is extremely optimistic. Most hunting rifles are in that category. 2-3" for sabot slugs would be excellent. That means that 150 yds would probably be the limit for me.

bswiv is right about the trajectory. The drop at that distance is going to be such that range determination will be critical. If you've practiced the shot at that range, and you know you can do it, then it's not unreasonable. If you can't determine the range with precision (like with a laser range-finder) then I wouldn't attempt it. I would also make out a range card that showed the correct hold for each 25 yd increment up to 100 and then each 10 yds past that. The card would be taped to the stock for quick reference.
Old October 4, 2008, 10:43 AM   #6

thanks....