The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 26, 2009, 10:54 PM   #51
FrankenMauser

I was enlightened today.

I was at one of the oldest gun stores around here. After losing count at 37,000 primers being sold in less than 30 minutes.... I over heard a conversation between two store employees and a customer.

The employees claimed to still have over 100,000 primers in the back room (shelves still somewhat stocked at 25k-30k primers), and the ability to get any primer the customer wished... in less than 2 weeks. The gentleman that has been working their longer than I can remember said there is no actual shortage of primers, anywhere. It is simply a matter of what stores are willing (or allowed) to put on their shelves. He claimed to have not had any supply issues, or shortages of any brand or type of primer since 2007.

My brother and I discussed this later, and he summed it up pretty well.
If Joe Schmoe walks into a gun store, seeking 300 primers... When he sees only 1000 primers on the shelf, he is likely to buy all of them. The store then replaces their "shortage" stock of 800-1000 for the next guy to hoard.
If Joe Schmoe walks into a gun store, seeking 300 primers... When he sees 10,000 primers on the shelf; he is likely to believe the "shortage" has subsided, and buy only what he needs.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; March 28, 2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Missed a sentence... like an idiot
Old March 28, 2009, 11:20 AM   #52
James R. Burke

Never thought of it that way you might be on to something there. Plus I am sure it will cause a price jump!
Old March 28, 2009, 03:29 PM   #53
fryboy

i much prefer to buy quantity when possible lately that isnt always possible ,online is rare to see them in stock ( at most the major places anywayz) cci's i havent seen in quite a bit -anywhere ! that being said the small mom and pop and out of the way places being the best places ermm most likely to check, i settled for a sleeve of wsp's for the kids plinkin loads -they will never notice anyways ,on a second note i have noted at gun shows folks are tryin to scalp on them to those who need them perhaps i understand but i also know that if patronized these scalpers they will only proliferate -not good IMO and $50 for wolf's small rifle mag's are totally out of the question :barf: the funny part the guy seen me walkin by with that sleeve of wsp's and a sleeve of rp's 7 1/2's he asked me what i paid and it gave me great joy to tell him 28 & 31$ @1000 respectively ( he was wanting $65 a 1000 for the 7 1/2's)btw ? the guy i bought them from had plenty of ww's no cci's few federal's and a decent selection of rp's and he is a small mom and pop dealer-i love helpin the lil guys out especially when it's to my benefit as well my best advice ? dont panick buy and have patience when possible,i dont believe the war on terror is what's behind the primer shortage between the current government wishing us to not have guns or bullets and the guys who go lookin for a 1000 primers yet buy everyone they see even tho they dont reload for will indeed in the end make prices rise to where it will end up being cheaper to buy factory ammo and we know how cheap that isnt
Old March 28, 2009, 03:41 PM   #54
Mr Odd Six

went to a gun show today, small rifle and pistol primers are selling for $50-70 a 1000

Some one there said all the factories are shut down, waiting federal government law changes, and tracking system to be incorporated
Old March 28, 2009, 03:59 PM   #55
Randolph_Howell

Mr oddsix, I hope that person is completely wrong about that issue.
Old March 28, 2009, 04:10 PM   #56
docspencer

Having trouble with availability of primers and powder

I'm at my witt's end trying to find Power Pistol powder through my normal internet contacts/companies. I reload for two particular clients that also own 45 supers and Power pistol is perfect for the little space available in the shell. For example I use 11.2 grains for a 200 grain bullet and more for 185.

I only use Federal 150 primers as they hold up best for the loads I use. Right now I have had these items on back order for 4 weeks. I could sure use some advise on the matter. Some of these Items are being scalped on GB.

Thanks Doc
Old March 28, 2009, 05:04 PM   #57
res45

I can tell you here in NC in an hours driving distance in any direction at any gun shop your not going to find any primers other than a few boxes of LR or LP once in awhile. It's been like this for months and all the store owner I have known for many years and done lots of business with them all tell me the same thing none of there suppliers have any in stock and can't get any. There all just as frustrated as the customers.
Old March 28, 2009, 07:25 PM   #58
Mike Irwin
Staff

Pretty much everything is like that right now.

It's an odd time for the hobby.

Gunshow a few weeks ago in Northern Virginia had over 17,000 people through the door.

Normal gunshow for that site is 7,000 to 8,000.

Ammo was just FLYING out of there. The people carrying reloading supplies looked like their stands had been picked over by vultures.

Georgia Arms recently said that because of the huge surge in orders they're running nearly 2 months behind.

Fortunately I have all the powder and primers that I need right now.

Bullets for a couple of my calibers, though? I guess I won't be shooting them for awhile.

Pity you're not in Virginia. I THINK I have a 1 pound container of Power Pistol left. I'd cut you an excellent deal. $1 billion, Mr. Bigglesworth.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 28, 2009, 11:11 PM   #59
Crosshair

Grafs & Sons says they are out of stock on virtually all primers. (I get dealer pricing.) I ASSUME that they are simply filling orders as they get shipments in, but I haven't been able to get an answer from them.

I did the same with Brownells for my P-mags. Placed an order for the out-of-stock product and they shipped when my turn came up 3 weeks later. Is G&S doing the same or are they not getting regular shipments? Should I place an order with them or not?

/Thanks
Old March 29, 2009, 12:10 AM   #60
Gypsysteel

Gander Mountain here had Power Pistol today when I went scavenging for supplies, would you like me to pick some up for you?
Old March 29, 2009, 12:35 AM   #61
Casimer

I've been able to find primed cases, but that's about it.
Old March 29, 2009, 06:06 AM   #62
TheNatureBoy

Primer Shortage. Real or Self Inflicted Wound?

Darn near every day I see/read a post from one of our fellow members about not being able to find primers or having to drive a few hours to find them. About a month ago I went to Green Top in Hanover, Va. and purchased 1000 of them. My thought was if I don't get them now they won't be around later. Are local shops not doing enough to keep them on the shelf? Is the shortage due to manufacturers not producing enough to keep up with demand? Are we creating the problem by going to our local gunshops and buying them by the thousands. What do you think?
Old March 29, 2009, 07:19 AM   #63
Dragon55

Me too Nature Boy

Knoxville, TN gun show at Jacobs building. They have this thing 3/4 times a year. I looked at every single table......probably at least 200 different vendors there. I found 1 lot (1000) small pistol primers in the entire building. I went in with intention of price comparing but left with the only case that was in the building. I thought this was weird.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:43 AM   #64
bluetopper

Simply and to the point; from my observations at shows, reading on these forums, and trying to buy primers online from distributors, this primer shortage is caused by people in a buying panic/frenzy scared of what the future holds since our President got elected. And the scarcity of primers just feeds fuel to the buyer panic.

I wouldn't think the manufacturors are making any less of them than they were a year ago.

If anybody else has another take on this, lets hear it.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:17 AM   #65
hodaka

If I were the CCI primer factory manager, I would be running double shifts and buying more equipment. I suspect that is what is happening.

I believe panic buying is driving the shortage. For those on the coast you know what the local liquor store and Home Depot look like when a hurricane is in the gulf.

I suspect that by summer things will be back to normal unless there is a chance of some restrictive legislation getting past first base.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:26 AM   #66
billcarey

The last few gun shows I've been to in Florida had stacks and stacks of primers. No shortages at all but the prices were hovering around $37 per 1000for Winchester.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:48 AM   #67
Unclenick
Staff

It's been much affected by hoarding, but also the Clinton era budgets let all our military ammo stockpiles run way down. It got to the point that live ammo training exercises had to be cut back to keep ammo available for the troops in the sandbox. Over the last three years that has been being corrected. I think I read the 2007 military ammo order was four times normal for keeping up with the war effort. This was for replenishing the stockpiles. I recently heard via Rocky Raab that his contacts say the stockpile recovery is now nearly complete. Reduction in combat levels in Iraq likely helped speed that up.

I got a newsletter from Sinclair International announcing their new web site. It included mention of the shortage. They say they expect primers sometime in April. They've seen almost no Winchester headstamp brass come in for a year, though they seem to have a few items now. I'd read somewhere that CCI had an order for almost a hundred million mil-spec primers that has kept their production tied up, but, again, if the stockpile replenishing is nearing completion that should be winding down, too.

We'll have to see where the hoarding takes things after that? I've simply elected not to participate. I've kept my usual match shooting stockpiles replenished over the years. (That way I always have a ready excuse to try something new.) I still have enough to get through several seasons of practice and match shooting and that is more than enough for any Armageddon scenario I've been able to imagine, where you won't likely have the opportunity to go through the usual thousands of rounds a year unless you have a private army you are responsible for supplying? Ditto being under the thumb of a police state, where opportunities for practice firing would be few. So I am just coasting at this point. It's like waiting for the stock market to recover, I suppose. If you have your cash savings in order you can hold out.

One thing this experience does suggest is that shooters who believe in keeping a stockpile should establish a number for each major component and maintain it in good times and bad. Just keep replenishing it as you actually use it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 29, 2009, 09:49 AM   #68
BobMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarey
The last few gun shows I've been to in Florida had stacks and stacks of primers. No shortages at all but the prices were hovering around $37 per 1000for Winchester.
That's where they all are then.

Quote:
Real or Self Inflicted Wound?
It looks all too real no matter how it was inflicted.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:53 AM   #69
RickV

I was at a gunshow yesterday in Newberrry Fl. ( just west of Gainesville). I only saw one guy that had any primers. I don't need any I have about 5000 but, I was curious as to the price. I asked the guy how much? he said how many do you want, I said 1000 his exact words 'I am embarrassed to tell you but $50 I can hardly get em" then he said "they are going for more on Gunbroker". I also noticed that the local gun dealers (shops I have been in recently) had actually jacked up their prices on guns, mags, etc. for the show stating "Show Specials". I beieve that they are enjoying the sky is faling fear that is going on and using it to hose people. I heard in passing comments like "get it while you can". It is a joke and as long as people keep buying in to this availabilty and price will continue on the current trend. I have said it before and I am saying it again I will enjoy it when all the speculators lose the butts and start dumping their inventory when the fear finally subsides just like the ones that drove oil prices to $150 a barrel did.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:52 AM   #70
BIGR

I have noticed as time has gone on, it is almost impossible to find them on the net. Luckly I bought about all I needed back last fall and one day I realized I was low on small rifle primers. I lucked up and found some and bought 2000 more. A gun dealer about 60 to 65 miles away has about any kind of primer you would want for about 35 dollars a thousand. He has kept up pretty good, but sold out of Unique a few times but has kept about everything else in stock. He must have some good suppliers because I know he has been selling that stuff like hotcakes.
Old March 29, 2009, 12:09 PM   #71
Mr Odd Six

It seems to me that some have horded them over the last year. With the intention of pulling a profit from others.

I guess they use wall street as thier insperation.
Old March 29, 2009, 12:30 PM   #72
James R. Burke

I believe when people feel they have enough or are broke you will see the supply come back, and at a much higher price. I been finding them at small ma and pa shops, and have plenty for now.
Old March 29, 2009, 12:53 PM   #73
bullspotter

I think its all about demand, right now demand is very high, do to many new reloaders, panic buying and storing ext. I hope the places that make this stuff (primers-ammo-guns) are keeping their profits in a safe place insted of using it wrong, Im pretty sure this (shortage of componets)will slow down, hopefully by the end of the year. What worries me is with the markups, and if the supply gets to big, this will creat a glut of supplys, ammo, relaoding stuff, guns ext, Then as the economy keeps getting worse, and as people contunue to loose jobs ext, we will see many selling this stuff for less and less just to pay their bills. Causing the stock on the store shelf to stay thier, Then the company not selling will soon need to cut back, more people will lose jobs ext... And the company that did the wrong thing now, ( spent tons of money to get more production equipment ext) will not have a use for the equipment, ext they bought when selling was good. I kinda think thats whats wrong now, people were spending alot of money, company owners were making bank, expanding, wasting money because they could then bang sales slowed and now they are in big trouble. just my .02...........
Old March 29, 2009, 01:32 PM   #74
docspencer

Thanks fellas

A billion dollars for Power Pistol....It could come to that. If it does I guess I'll get back into serious fishing or live in South America

Does Gander Mountain Ship?
Old March 29, 2009, 02:00 PM   #75
levrluvr

I honestly don't think that you're going to see purchasing slowing down this time around. We're only two months into the new guy's reign, and the frenzy started long before he was sworn in. Throw in the fact that there's an enormous amount of new reloaders (you've witnessed the thread count), and you have a much larger demand. People who already reloaded for years are very good at squirreling stuff away in quantities- they got into it to shoot more for less, and don't allow stock to go below a certain level in good times, let alone bad. Most established reloaders I know increased their stocks two to three-fold over normal this time around, and did it before the frenzy- they remember all too well what happened the last time. Due to the unsurety of the times, I can well guess that everyone has a high number in mind as to what is enough, and they're not there yet. I know I'm not.