The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2010, 03:21 PM   #1
vikingm03

RCBS 5-0-5 scale zeroing, help needed

Hey everyone,

So i bought a scale off ebay to check my lee dippers for accuracy, a RCBS 5-0-5 scale, and i just got it in the mail today. There is a problem though.

By turning the leveling foot, the scale will not zero out at all. Its waaaay off, like more than the weight of a 1/2 nut is needed in the pan before i can get it to zero out. Before someones says the obvious, im absolutely sure all 3 sliders are in their "0" position and the pan is infact on its little hanger

Is there something im missing? I did not get a manual with it, though there does not seem to be much to this scale. Anyone had this problem before?
Old April 15, 2010, 03:26 PM   #2
GAR700

Viking,
The only thing I can think of is that the actual pan may be missing. There should be a brass colored (might be brass) pan that sits in the tray.
Don't be offended if this is totally basic and I am insulting your intelligence, but it happend to me when I first got my scale.

GAR
Old April 15, 2010, 03:33 PM   #3
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.

does it look like this?
Old April 15, 2010, 03:38 PM   #4
vikingm03

Thanks for the replies guys.

GAR700 : No offence taken. And yes, it does have the pan part along with the hanger for the pan. But, it is not brass or brass colored, i believe its aluminum.

edward5759 : yep, thats it, except with an aluminum pan.

EDIT: actually, my pan looks like the one in the picture (other than mine being aluminum) except for one thing. While mine does have the built-in funnel section, mine does not have the tab thing that is in that picture. Im not sure what that is though, just a tab for holding the pan?
Old April 15, 2010, 04:14 PM   #5
zippy13

If your scale is similar to mine, there's a white metal sub pan that snaps into the wire loop and gold colored metal pan with thumb tab and spout. The sub pan is of two pieces and is held together with a screw. There's a void in the sub pan that has shot it it that allows fine tuning of the scale (at the factory) by the number of pellets. If that sub pan is missing then your scale is going to be way off, if the upper pan is missing you'll be a little off.
Old April 15, 2010, 04:20 PM   #6
vikingm03

zippy13 : Mine is like yours, but both the sub pan that holds the little BB's and the pan are made of aluminum and are silver in color. There are BB's in my sub pan, but i would guess that i would need to completely fill it up in order to zero the scale, it might not even have enough room...

Are there any other adjustment to make in this scale to zero it out?
Old April 15, 2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Realizing this is an extremely basic question, but is your table fairly level?

Does the balance beam swing freely?

You said your removable pan doesn't have a tab. Every one I've ever seen does have that tab for lifting the pan off the scale. That could be your problem right there. See if it looks like the tab may have been broken off.

Don't put any weights in the under pan until you're sure everything else is proper. There are no other adjustments other than the foot screw adjustment, and, of course, the sliding weights.
Old April 15, 2010, 04:35 PM   #8
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
try this

the little sub pan is made to gross zero the the beam
the screw adjustment is to fine tune the zero to where you want it.
you do not want to zero the beam with weight.
make sure all your weights are on zero.
you may have screwed the base up to far.
start with the base screwed in all the way.
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...tions.pdfihere is the manual.

Ed
Old April 15, 2010, 04:56 PM   #9
vikingm03

Mal H : yes, the bench it is on is level. With everything on (the entire pan assembly) if i add a 1/2" nut and 4-5 paper clips in the pan, i can then use the zeroing foot to zero out the scale. Then, the scale moves very nicely, i can add another small 1/4" nut in the pan and use the sliders to find its weight in grains. Works great, other than the fact that i have to use a bunch of metal to balance out the scale. They pan does not appear to have any tears were a tab could have been, but even with the little tab it would not be enough weight to level the scale (unless the tab is depleted uranium or something.)

edward5759 : i havent removed or added any weight to the sub pan, just observing that there are BB's in it. The base adjuster does nothing unless i add counter balance to the pan in the form of a 1/2" nut and paper clips (a lot of extra weight)

If possible, could someone measure the weight of their complete pan assembly? Maybe i dont have the correct pan setup and is way too light.
Old April 15, 2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

"If possible, could someone measure the weight of their complete pan assembly?"

Yes, hold on ...

Here ya go:

The whole pan assembly weighs 329.5 grains
The pan weighs 140.5 gr, and the hanger assb weighs 189.0 gr.
The BB's in the subpan weigh 32.2 gr. (they vary widely in size from lead "dust" to about #6 or 7 shot size)

Do you have another scale to check yours with?

"... unless i add counter balance to the pan in the form of a 1/2" nut and paper clips"
That is far too much weight to be made up in lead shot in the pan.
I'm beginning to suspect they didn't supply the correct pan with the scale. Can you take a picture of it?
Old April 15, 2010, 05:11 PM   #11
jtmckinney

Go to RCBS website and download their instructions from the below link.

Or go to rcbs.com and bore down.

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf

It sounds like you have some stuff that don't match up. You can probably make it work but I would want to verify accuracy against a scale that is proven correct. Weighing bullets with a known weight might work.

Sorry I just saw that somebody already sent you the link for the instructions.

Good Luck!
James

Last edited by jtmckinney; April 15, 2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Already had link to instructions.
Old April 15, 2010, 05:24 PM   #12
vikingm03

Mal H : Thank you!

No i dont have another scale, i need to think of how im going to zero out the scale with extra weight then add the pan. Ill post back when i get a weight, though i really wont know if what i get will be accurate... we'll go from there i guess.

jtmckinney : great idea with the bullets, i was actually just going to post on how to measure the scales accuracy. I have some 230gr lrn that will be perfect, how much do bullets in a 500pc. box very in weight typically?

Ill also get some pictures of the pan i have.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old April 15, 2010, 05:36 PM   #13
Don H

Quote:
I have some 230gr lrn that will be perfect, how much do bullets in a 500pc. box very in weight typically?
Depending on the supplier's QC, there may well be 10 grains variance and the average weight will most likely not be exactly 230 grains.

Edited to add: I have never seen the 5-0-5 scale to have an aluminum pan without a handle. I very strongly suspect that the aluminum-colored pan you are refering to is the sub-pan and the actual pan is missing. The weight of the missing pan is needed to zero the scale.

Last edited by Don H; April 15, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old April 15, 2010, 05:43 PM   #14
jtmckinney

I load mostly Hornaday bullets and usually check the weight of at least a couple and never found one more that a grain off (usually light). Maybe cheaper bullets vary that much, I don't know.

Good luck!
James
Old April 15, 2010, 06:35 PM   #15
zippy13

Assuming both pans are correct, are you're missing one of the weights?
On the major beam there's the tens weight.
On the minor beam there the ones weight and the thin tenths weight.
Look at edward5759's pic, it sounds like your ones weight is missing.
Old April 15, 2010, 06:47 PM   #16
roc1

I have two 5-0-5 scales and the pans are different ,on both one ways real heavy on the opposite scale and the other too light. I check mine with a set of Lyman scale gages time to time.
roc1
Old April 15, 2010, 06:48 PM   #17
ZeSpectre

vikingm03,
The hanger is aluminum (and silver aluminum colored) with the hanging hook attached.

The pan is removable and yellow anodized.

It sounds like you have the hanger but not the pan.
Old April 15, 2010, 07:18 PM   #18
uncyboo

Maybe this is why it was on eBay.......?
Old April 15, 2010, 08:19 PM   #19
tac_driver

did you try cleaning the anvil (seat what the knife edge sits on) with alcohol? and make sure the needle part isn't rubbing on the frame?
Glock 21SF,S&W 67 Combat,Colt series 80 Combat,Glock 19
Old April 16, 2010, 03:49 AM   #20
Hook686

There are obviously more than one version of the 5-0-5 scale. Mine has an aluminum pan.

Perhaps the knife edge on the beam is disfigured. Perhaps the magnetic dampener is sticking. Perhaps ....

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old April 16, 2010, 06:07 AM   #21
ZeSpectre

Hook686
I'm pretty sure your scale is a "5-0-2", not a "5-0-5"

Though even with that I've never seen a plain aluminum pan before...interesting. How old is that scale?

Last edited by ZeSpectre; April 16, 2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old April 16, 2010, 08:07 AM   #22
jtmckinney

I purchased my 5-0-2 in 1994 and it doesn't look anything line the scale hook686 has even though it's operation would be the same. Mine only has 2 weights the large one in 5 grain notches and the small one in tenth grain notches just like hook686 scale. It looks very similar to the one Zespectre shows except for the third weight and notch graduations.

Vikingm03 this probably isn't helping any.

Again good luck!
James
Old April 16, 2010, 10:44 AM   #23
Mal H
Staff

I suspect ZeSpectre just might be right - vikingm03 may not even have the pan, only the hanger. I'm basing this on a re-read of his original post.
Quote:
... and the pan is infact on its little hanger
This implies that there is one pan, and it is the one hanging on the hook.

vikingm03 do you have one pan or two? You should have two. A missing powder pan would easily account for the large amount of weight you need to add to zero the scale.

Hook686 - like ZeSpectre said, you have a 5-0-2 scale, an old, but very clean, 5-0-2 scale.
Old April 16, 2010, 02:00 PM   #24
howlnmad

I bought a RCBS 5-0-5 scale off of flea bay as well. The pointer had been broken off and repaired but it was still accurate. I double checked it with check weights from another scale. I used it quite a bit until one day I took it out and could not get it to zero out. It has the aluminum pan as well. The only thing I can think of, it's a magnetic scale and possibly it had become demagnetized. I'm no scientist but that's all I can come up with.
Old April 16, 2010, 03:46 PM   #25
slowr1der

My first thought is that he is missing the pan too and just had the aluminum part the pan sits on that is attached to the hanger. This will do what he is describing if he doesn't have the gold colored pan on it. I have this same scale and noticed this at first when I unpacked it. You have to have that gold pan on there to level it out.