The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2017, 05:34 PM   #1
Ben_Snow

RCBS Taper-C Seat Die

Quick Question

Just switched to reloading 45 ACP. Was waiting on my last die to arrive, an RCBS Taper Crimp Die, to complete the set.

When i arrives I realized I made an error in ordering - Its the RCBS 18962 Taper/C Seater die combo.

I always seat and crimp in two stages, and already have a Match grade seatign die already purchased and mounted. The cost of the RCBS die was pretty cheap and dont want to return and wait another days for a replacement. Is it possible to simply remove the Bullet Seater Stem and use it solely as a Taper Crimp Die? It would be a bit more work adjusting it with the locknut, but at least I could get reloading for now until I get a permanent replacement. Thanks
Old November 17, 2017, 05:54 PM   #2
DaleA

Seating and crimping in a single step is a topic that really brings out some opinions. (I do seat and crimp my .45 ACP in a single step, been doing it for a long, long time and won't change.)

That said, I see no reason at all that you can't remove the seater and then have the RCBS die just put the taper crimp on your round. Should work fine.

(Now if I were you I'd wait for someone else to chime in and either backup what I said or blow my opinion right out of the water.)
Old November 17, 2017, 06:03 PM   #3
ShootistPRS

I'm with DaleA on this one. there is no reason you can't remove the seating stem and use it as a dedicated taper crimp die.
Old November 17, 2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Ben_Snow

all...

Found an almost identical question on Calguns forum a few minutes ago, several RCBS aficionados verified that its fine as a standalone taper tie.

I might even put it to occasional use for seating since it comes with a separate stem just for SWC's ,something my pricey match die doesnt cover.
We can check this one off as "solved", and thanks for the responses.
Old November 17, 2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Quote:
there is no reason you can't remove the seating stem and use it as a dedicated taper crimp die.
'xactly. I have several RCBS dies (including 45 ACP) in this configuration.

I know this is basically a closed topic. But I just wanted to reinforce it.

Load safe.
Old November 17, 2017, 09:40 PM   #6
rg1

I seat with my Hornady seater then taper crimp with my RCBS taper crimp seating die with the bullet seating stem removed. Works great.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:58 PM   #7
mikld

Quote:
That said, I see no reason at all that you can't remove the seater and then have the RCBS die just put the taper crimp on your round. Should work fine
Yep. Just like Dale states, I do this all the time...