The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2017, 10:41 PM   #26
Roadkill2228

I've also found that some of the indicators aren't always accurate or dependable. For example, there wasn't a load I could fire, factory or handload, in that .300, which did not show shiny extractor marks on brass, even with nice rounded primers and appropriate chronographed velocities along with good brass life. Go figure. Have yet to see a spot that shiny on my .270 brass even though I once blew out the primer in that gun too. Goes to show, every rifle is different, you've got to look at more than one indicator and at the end of the day nothing beats a chronograph to tell the truth!
Old November 14, 2017, 10:44 PM   #27
Roadkill2228

Though of course even then, with inappropriately fast burning powder, you can spike pressures over max while falling well short of the velocity potential of a given cartridge
Old November 15, 2017, 12:57 PM   #28
RC20

As I had all the indicators. Flattening of primers (I have seen worse but there) , mild cratering, sticky bolt and got worse with the next small increment.

Add to that loose primer pockets (and the blown one just fell in and would not re-size)

Downright classic.
Old November 15, 2017, 02:02 PM   #29
Metal god

Quote:
I've also found that some of the indicators aren't always accurate or dependable
Not always but I generally look for two unless it's a sticky bolt . A sticky bolt seems to be a good indicator somethings up . It does not have to be over max pressure but there is an issue somewhere . Like what I believe to be my LC-14 cases being a little soft . I'm getting sticky bolts but at charges and velocities that should not be over pressured .

I also did some AR testing with H-335 and 55gr bullets . At 26.5gr I was getting an avg velocity of 3145fps . I had no cratering or flat primer , everything ejected fine but 3145fps from a 16" barrel has to be close to max so that's where I stopped . You really need to look at the whole of the process to determine what may or may not be safe .

Last edited by Metal god; November 15, 2017 at 02:07 PM.