The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 25, 2017, 01:05 PM   #26
Blindstitch

Quote:
OP wants to shoot trap; 24" really doesn't work that well compared to at least 28; longer even better.
Yeah but you're forgetting that 24 in a pump or semi is just as long as 28 in a break action.
Old October 25, 2017, 02:36 PM   #27
T. O'Heir

"...Get a Remington 1100 semi-auto..." That should read, get a Youth Remington 1100 semi-auto with a trap barrel. However, any Youth model semi-auto with a trap choke or changeable choke tubes will do though. Try it on for size first. You need a shorter LOP.
Cabela's is showing several brands running under a grand. $279.99 for a Remchoked barrel. $16.99 for a Carlson 'Skeet' choke tube. I think it's the same tube for any Remington shotgun.
Old October 25, 2017, 07:39 PM   #28
B.L.E.

The Browning BT-99 also comes in a "micro" version, with a shorter stock for smaller shooters. It has about a 13.5 inch pull instead of the normal 14.5 inch length of pull and is designed to fit smaller or junior shooters.

Length of pull is the distance from the butt pad to the trigger.
Old October 25, 2017, 09:01 PM   #29
FITASC

Quote:
Yeah but you're forgetting that 24 in a pump or semi is just as long as 28 in a break action.
Not when it comes to balance, handling and MOI. 30 would be better. I shoot a 30" gas gun; 32 would be even smoother. At the OP's stature 28" should be a minimum IF the gun fits.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 25, 2017, 10:33 PM   #30
Doc TH

Trap

Simplicity first - remember Marcus Aurelius, when you encounter a new thing, ask first what is its essence (sorry for the philosophy). In your circumstances, consider first a semiauto shotgun; the recoil is significantly less than an over-under. Even testosterone-laden males (who are truthful) will admit to some discomfort after a long session at the range after shooting O/U 12 ga guns. A semiauto is much more pleasant. Next, do not believe that a 20 gauge is useless for trap; try it if and see for yourself. But above all, believe that a semiauto is more pleasant to shoot, because it is.
Old October 25, 2017, 10:52 PM   #31
BigJimP

In a pump or semi-auto ...the receiver is typically 2" longer than the receiver in an over under......so a 28" barrel on a pump or semi auto is approx the same overall length as an over under in 30" barrels.
Old October 27, 2017, 08:07 PM   #32
wild cat mccane

I can guarantee, with money on it, that a youth model will fit the OP better in 95% cases against "adult" sized shotguns.

The youth Mossberg and Remington aren't just chops. Everything is reduced proportionately. If 4" is going to make the difference, sell the 24" on the youth and get the 28".

In 20, the 500 Bantam comes with extensions.
Old October 29, 2017, 04:00 PM   #33
sbwaters

I lust after a Beretta Silver Pigeon 12 ga O/U but my 40-year-old Remington 1100 semi-auto is a steady and soft shooter. The more I shoot skeet with it, the less I feel the need for the o/u.

The only disadvantage is picking up hulls, but I need the exercise.
Old October 29, 2017, 10:10 PM   #34
FITASC

They make a shell catcher, even one that works with doubles.....or you get a magnet on a stick......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 29, 2017, 11:26 PM   #35
BigJimP

Harbor freight sells ..some telescoping rods...with a magnet on the end ...fits in a shooting vest pocket -- works real well to pick up hulls..
Old November 1, 2017, 01:18 PM   #36
dreaming

You have been given a lot of good information about soft shooting guns and the need for a shorter stock. While a soft shooter may help, it may not be necessary if you have a shorter butt stock. The reason being that if it is too long it is difficult to pull the butt in towards the pocket and the butt tends to hit you out near the joint and sometimes even on the top of the arm. I would stick with a 12 for trap as the heft of the frame helps to soak up the recoil of a 12 gauge load and a 20 is a handicap.

Renting a junior model is an excellent idea if one is available. Better yet if you can try other's guns with shortened stocks.
Old November 2, 2017, 04:47 PM   #37
stuckinthe60s

seems the op disappeared.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner

Tags
clay sports , sportingclay , trapshooting