The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 3, 2011, 11:19 AM   #26
BigJimP

If you're talking about Trap singles from the 16 yd line....Improved Modified is a pretty tight choke. The kill range on Trap singles - is around 16 - 20 yds beyond the house ...so around 35 yds ...and a Modified choke is plenty.

I agree with Zippy's comments about shooting the lower barrel first for pairs ...or on any single target game.
Old October 3, 2011, 11:35 AM   #27
zippy13

BigJim, my friend, perhaps some of the new shooters are unaware of the days before changeable chokes were common. Back then, trap guns were typically choked full and were used from 16 to 27-yards. Many 100-straights were shot from 16-yards with full choked guns. My first trap specific gun came with full, extra full and super full screw-in chokes.
Old October 3, 2011, 12:09 PM   #28
fishblade2

Thanks for all the help. There's definitely a lot to take in. One question I still have is why can some guns shoot light loads and others cannot? And overall can I get an array of the most dependable autoloading shotguns in all of your opinions? I leaning on a benelli supervinci. Also what choke would I get for just throwing clays up and shooting them and what type of choke would be necessary for sporting clays? Thanks!
Old October 3, 2011, 12:29 PM   #29
zippy13

It's not that the guns can't shoot light loads, but that some autoloaders won't cycle with light loads. With them, the shells may jamb during ejection, so you'll essentially have a single shot.

For hand-tossed, you're so close to the target, I'd use a Skeet or Cly choke.
Old October 3, 2011, 12:31 PM   #30
oneounceload

Quote:
is why can some guns shoot light loads and others cannot?
The advantage of non-gas guns - they CAN shoot a wide variety of loads.

Regarding semi gas guns - many times, if the maker markets a particular model to a particular segment - say duck/goose hunters - they will build the gun for those heavy loads - smaller gas ports, beefier spring, etc. Contrarily, if they are building a gun aimed specifically for the clay target shooters, the gas ports will be larger (target loads are much lighter than heavy field loads), and they might use a lighter spring. Take a field gun and use light loads - it might not cycle the action. Take a target gun and use heavy field loads and it will throw your empties into the next county and literally beat the gun to pieces after a while.

Some guns try to accommodate by having the ability to change the gas ports or switch a piece internally, others -like the Beretta A400 Xplor - were designed for everything from light target loads to 3.5" uber-goose loads, without doing anything to the gun.
Old October 3, 2011, 01:49 PM   #31
Technosavant

Quote:
Regarding semi gas guns - many times, if the maker markets a particular model to a particular segment - say duck/goose hunters - they will build the gun for those heavy loads - smaller gas ports, beefier spring, etc.
Yup. My Remington 105 CTi II, while a fairly soft shooting semi, is set up as a field gun, and the manual says it's designed for the standard 1 1/8 oz. 3 dram load. In other words, if you are going clay shooting, it wants to be fed the full power target loads. Even in a soft shooting gun, that's going to beat you down after 2-3 rounds. It will cycle 1 ounce loads, but forget about cream puff 7/8 oz. loads like I use in my O/U (which, despite a lack of any recoil absorption via a semiauto mechanism, doesn't hardly kick at all).

Newer designs seem to be set up for a wider array of loads with only minimal (if not zero) tinkering on the part of the shooter.
Old October 3, 2011, 02:57 PM   #32
fishblade2

question about benelli autoloaders since they are the ones I'm leaning towards. Which benelli of the three would be recommended most for skeet shooting and what really is the point for each one that helps make this decision for you:

Benelli Supervinci
Benelli Cordoba
Benelli supersport
Benelli Sport 2
Old October 3, 2011, 03:00 PM   #33
fishblade2

and in regard for the gas guns, does the winchester sx3 shoot both heavy and light loads? (this is the only gas gun I'm really interested in right now).
Old October 3, 2011, 03:01 PM   #34
oneounceload

Personally, I like the wood furniture on the sport version, but if I was also doing waterfowl, one of the other versions would be better in the long run
Old October 3, 2011, 04:56 PM   #35
BigJimP

Zippy is right about the trends in Trap shooting ...about Full chokes being common yrs ago ...but I think the trend from 16 - 20 yds is more to a Modified choke and 1 oz shells these days...( but I try not to hang out with serious Trap shooters --- they're a cranky bunch...) ...

Among the guns you list from Benelli - any of them will shoot skeet, trap or sporting clays ....so it isn't about one being better for this or that ...it depends on what you want. Out of the mix - the gun I would choose is the Super Sport - carbon fibre stock, lots of adjustabilty ( with snap on comb pads and snap on butt pads / and shims ) ..and comfort tech system in it ( the wood stocks will not have the comfort tech recoil supression system in them)..and I would go with a 30" barrel because in a 12ga its still a very light gun at 7.2 lbs ..and its chambered in 3" - so its fine for 2 3/4" or 3" shells.

Nothing wrong with the other models ...they're just different ...

My Super Sport's - one in 12ga and one in 20ga ...will both cycle "light loads" down to 7/8oz ( or 3/4 oz in the 20ga ) in either gun as long as the velocity is 1200 fps ...they will not cycle a shell that is at 1150 fps ...so it depends on what you mean by "light load" ...
Old October 3, 2011, 05:27 PM   #36
loose_holster_dan

while it is by far not the BEST out there. i really like my cz redhead deluxe o/u for the money.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 3, 2011, 07:39 PM   #37
lambertsteeth

The four Bens you mentioned are mechanicaly the same guns. The difference is in bells and whistles, cosmetics, Barrel lengths, and furniture.
Old October 12, 2011, 08:32 PM   #38
seansean1444

shoot a bunch of different guns and buy the 1 you break targets with...
Old October 12, 2011, 10:29 PM   #39
TheKlawMan

If you are talking auto loaders, what do you think about the Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Sporting and the Gold Target with the two ribs? Is that real wood on the latter?

As for the Benelli's, they are nice. I have only shot the Cordoba but the Superport seems to fit me nice. But what counts is what fits you.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; October 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old October 13, 2011, 03:57 AM   #40
Rugerismisticness

For this sort of thing, you should get an M2 Benelli and slap on a mag tube extention and cylinder choke.

Edit; just read page two. The very best skeet gun benelli makes is the Montefeltro IMHO. The Cordoba is more sporting clays and trap geared because of the step tapered rib. The Monte rib is flat and a constant width, much more suitable for crossing targets. I shoot/shot a Montefeltro for everything under trap, skeet, FITASC, sporting clays, and double trap. I'm now just trying to get into the swing of things with my relativly new Cordoba. Also, as for chokes, the Crio Plus chokes from the factory are very good chokes by anyones standards, but if you need more (ie LM) then Briley is the best place to find some. For trap I shoot LM/M, for skeet I use Cyl or a ported briley diffusion choke.

Good move going with the Benellis, they last forever and have very very very few parts suseptible to breakage.

Last edited by Rugerismisticness; October 13, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old October 13, 2011, 10:32 PM   #41
71Eagle

Clays Shotgun

I agree that fit is one of the most important aspects of shooting a shotgun. I'm more of a skeet shooter but occasional trap shooter and I pretty much exclusively shoot a Browning 425. I use my skeet loads of 1oz and a light mod choke and pretty consistently shoot 22s to straights on trap. I like to get on them quick.

Beretta's don't fit me well at all, my Browning is great for me.

For me, my O/U is so much quicker in any follow up shot than an auto, when I do shoot an auto, the gun ejecting the shell and loading a new one is almost a distraction. It seems like it's almost in slow motion.

I think once you get used to shooting your 525, you'll enjoy it. Have someone experienced check out the fit for you and if worse comes to worse, I'll trade you my 870 for it.
Old October 13, 2011, 10:42 PM   #42
JW74

and in regard for the gas guns, does the winchester sx3 shoot both heavy and light loads? (this is the only gas gun I'm really interested in right now).
I have shot hundreds of 7/8 oz loads with zero problems what so ever. My SX3 has cycled every light load I have ran through it. In 6000 rounds I have had 5 failure to feeds and it was due to very dusty conditions during a sporting clays tournament. A little Rem Oil fixed that problem until I got home and gave it a good cleaning.
Old October 14, 2011, 06:22 AM   #43
LSnSC

My son shoots a Super Sport. It and the Cordoba are the same gun. Its been very reliable and he regularly shoots my 7/8 1200 FPS reloads without a problem.

I see more Beretta 391's in competition than any other autoloader. Second would be Remingtons with everything else a distant third.
Old October 14, 2011, 07:03 AM   #44
darkgael

Advice

Tremendous amount of advice here. All of it good.

Fishblade: The attraction of the trick shooting of Tom Knapp and Pat Flanigan - Seeing multiple hand thrown clays shot out of the air - is infectious - looks like a great deal of fun.
Have you seen one of these shows in person? I ask because the many fun videos that are available on the Internet can be misleading in a sense. The videos distort the most difficult part of that type of shooting - throwing the clays. You get a sense that the clays have been thrown quite high. Not at all. Very hard to throw 10-12 clays very far. The throwing requires as much practice as shooting and still you are not talking about many yards worth of range. That is why an open choke - skeet or Cylinder - is advisable.
The second quite difficult part of the act is mounting the gun - and you can be sure that the guns used have been fitted so that they shoot exactly where Knapp and Flanigan are looking. They do not have a lot of tiime to get the gun up and shoot. If they throw the clays 50 feet (the height of a five story building), at 32ft^sec^sec, there is not much time to shoot - about two seconds. You can also be sure that those men have spent many, many hours practicing and have shot many thousands of shells.
Pete
Old October 18, 2011, 08:38 PM   #45
musicmatty

I have an old Winchester model 120 12guage with a Deer Slug barrel. I guess that means wide open with no choke. I was shooting the round clay disc today and was very successful. My sister who is in from Arizona, never has fired a shotgun..and man O'l man..she was bang on after missing the first 3 clays. After missing the first 3, she hardly missed any after that...in fact, she followed up with a few quick pumps for a second shot after missing with the first I felt like I was watching John Wayne in action

Some people I guess, can pick up quick with this....needless to say..she could operate it if she had to in a pinch I guess

We fired over 400 rounds without a any glitches today...seems the O'l Winchester is still going strong 25yrs later.

It's doesn't take a High dollar gun to have fun shooting sporting clays and being successful doing it...my sister is proof of that

Enjoy

Last edited by Dave McC; October 18, 2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Art'S Granma
Old August 22, 2013, 11:09 AM   #46
MaDMaXX

A lot of good information in here, i know it's an older thread, but i think it's still valid today.
Having just broken my Remington SPR310, i'm looking at other alternatives as i can't find how to fix it.

I'm still partial to the O/U, but mostly due to their uniqueness these days. However, i love shooting back yard pigeons and the occasional charity clays event with it.

Definitely looking into the CZ (yes i'm cheap and i know i'm currently likely paying for that with the SPR)
Old August 22, 2013, 04:51 PM   #47
BigD_in_FL

Then look for a good used Browning or Beretta (whichever one fits you the best) - heads and shoulders above the CZ and should be close enough in price to justify
Old August 22, 2013, 06:37 PM   #48
MaDMaXX

Whilst i don't really know what i'm doing with second hand guns, i've not seen any of the big names for <=$900
Old August 22, 2013, 08:05 PM   #49
BigD_in_FL

Then you haven't looked too hard - start with your current gun club with a WTB poster, watch local ads, look for the used guns at pawn shop, big box stores like Cabela's, etc..................
Old August 24, 2013, 01:45 AM   #50
MaDMaXX

Yeah, just never done it before, don't really know what i'm looking for, regarding the wear etc for a second hand firearm.

Any suggestions for the type/model i should get for <$900?