The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2016, 11:33 AM   #1
caleb90

decent cheap 9mm plinker and truck gun.

hello all first time poster here, I just got my pistol permit and picked up a ruger sr22 sr40c. the 22 is for me to learn on and plink with and the 40 is going to be my carry gun. I would still like a 9mm to add to the mix for plinking, im looking for a full size gun 4+ in barrel. im looking for cheap as well, doesn't need to be pretty just needs to shoot and be accurate. 350bucks will be my max budget for the gun, I thought about a hi point, as I have a 995 carbine that I love. but seeing the c9 pistols barrel is only 3.5in, I don't see it being very good for target shooting and such. give me your suggestions and I appreciate the feed back.
Old February 19, 2016, 11:40 AM   #2
jasmith85

The Ruger SR9E would fit into your price range and has a 4.1" barrel I believe. It would also shoot similar to what you will be accustomed to with the SR40c. Its rare but I have also seen regular Ruger SR9's cheap enough to come out around $350 as well.
Old February 19, 2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Targa

If it is my $350. I am picking up a S&W SD9VE with money left over for a couple boxes of 9mm. Again, just my opinion, others will vary...
Old February 19, 2016, 11:48 AM   #4
FNS-40

Can't go wrong with a hi-point.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...smansGuide.com
Old February 19, 2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Targa

I have no experience with the Hi-Points but the reviews certainly seem to commend them for their reliability/durability. Not my cup of tea but to each their own.
Old February 19, 2016, 12:20 PM   #6
PA Patrick

I enjoy shooting and e.d.c. of my SCCY CPX 1
Old February 19, 2016, 12:29 PM   #7
JBigs

Haven't had a single issue with my girlfriends canik tp9sa
Old February 19, 2016, 01:01 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

For cheap, I mean really cheap, and rock solid reliability with great accuracy too boot you can't beat a Hi-Point C9!
But on the ugly scale of 1-10 it scores a high 12!
Still, for your intended purpose it would be a great, economical choice. They can be found brand new for around the $150 price mark. Also the company has a 100% no questions asked warranty that covers the gun no matter how many owners it goes through.
As for the 3 1/2" barrel is concerned, it really doesn't make that much difference. My C9 is more accurate than my Beretta 92fs, Walther P1 (post war P38), Star B, and G17 Glock!
I think the fixed barrel, straight blowback action adds significantly to the accuracy enough to make up for a half inch of barrel length.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; February 19, 2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old February 19, 2016, 01:19 PM   #9
Brando1992

Here is a write up I did a few months ago about budget 9mm handguns.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568584

In short the ruger 9E or SR9c I feel would be best for you in your budget due to the similarity with your carry gun.

But since handling and shooting both I feel the Canik tp9sa or tp9sf is the best full size 9mm for that price point. I am still hoping to add one to my collection.

The S&W sd9ve is a great gun as well. I have got quite a bit of trigger time on one and its a very good pistol for the price. I prefer the ruger and the canik but thats just my opinion.

Also a good one to look into is the EAA SAR B6P. If you would prefer a hammer fired gun its a great one for under $300!
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old February 19, 2016, 01:32 PM   #10
oldengineer

I had a Zastava (Serbian made) CZ999 9mm that I bought to use while another gun was at the smiths for a trigger job. I paid $280 for it. It shot perfectly fine but I traded it in later because I bought a Sig P229 and the 999 is a clone of it. I traded it at the same gun shop and got $250 for it.
Old February 19, 2016, 01:35 PM   #11
K_Mac

Caleb90, l think the SR9 or 9c would be a good, inexpensive choice. Trigger and controls are the same as your 40, and either one will work well for target shooting. I would go with the 9c. It is nearly identical to the 40, could serve as your EDC, and is very comfortable to shoot.
Old February 19, 2016, 01:48 PM   #12
Linegrind

I have to agree with Brando1992 on this one. I personally would get the sd9ve because I am not a fan of the canik or ruger but all 3 are great choices and can all act as good range guns or carry pistols. My ma carries on the earlier sd9ve's she picked up for about $250. Essentially just Smith version of a G19. I've shot it a fair amount and used it for a ccw some when I'm carrying a gun off hand beside my primary. Very nice guns. Now the canik is also I nice gun I have very little experience with. I personally don't support the company but for anybody who doesn't care about brands it's definitely a great gun. A tad big for most folks to carry but as a pure range gun it'd be phenomenal. The Ruger doesn't work for me as a lefty we just didn't get along. I haven't shot one though so I'll hold my tongue on it. I'd get any of those 3 before I got a Hi point. I'd also comb through the used market some. I've known some nice glocks, smiths or springfields to show up in that price range from time to time. Usually pretty well shot up gun but a lot of life in them if they were well maintained. Police trade ins can be great finds.
Old February 19, 2016, 03:06 PM   #13
fleeterhousen

"For cheap, I mean really cheap, and rock solid reliability with great accuracy too boot you can't beat a Hi-Point C9!
But on the ugly scale of 1-10 it scores a high 12!"

^^^this^^^.

I used to own a Hi-Point C9. Never had any problems with it. But I always felt ashamed to pull it out and fire it Ended up trading it for a Ruger single-six 22lr.
Old February 19, 2016, 03:11 PM   #14
boatdoc173

canik is getting some nice reviews with their hammer and striker fired offerings

look for the tp9 I think that is the hammer fired pistol

good luck
Old February 19, 2016, 03:39 PM   #15
gglass

If you pick anything but one of the TP9 series of pistols you are throwing money away. They are based on the proven Walther P99 and PPQ designs and even improve on them in some ways, but you will pay half the price for a superb pistol.

The TP9SF is the latest in the series and does away with the unneeded decocker.

TP9SF is in stock at AIM Surlus for $349 right now!
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...K&groupid=5389

Good reviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsDtvFh20s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btknuFh1cBM

Choose wisely!

Last edited by gglass; February 19, 2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old February 19, 2016, 03:46 PM   #16
tallball

The Turkish CZ75 clones, such as the Caniks, are said to be good.

My favorite bang for the buck firearms are the military/police surplus ones. Places like AIM and CDI Sales have some excellent deals sometimes. I have owned many surplus pistols and have never regretted buying any of them. My Star Super B is an excellent 9mm pistol and I paid around $250 for it OTD.
Old February 19, 2016, 03:50 PM   #17
pblanc

Academy Sports has been selling NIB Stoeger Cougar 8000s for $299. The barrel length is 3.6" but it shoots like a longer barreled pistol.

Excellent value in an all-metal, traditional double action pistol.
Old February 19, 2016, 03:52 PM   #18
caleb90

I have nothing agaisnt hi point, my 995 has been rock solid for 12 years. Need to send it back because i want the stock upgraded and the barrel is wore out. One cleaning in 12 years and thousands of rounds took its toll on the barrel. I dont blame the gun that problem is my fault, just wasnt shure how the c9 was. Could care less about the uglyness of it, i looked into the sdve and it seems nice for the price. But im not a fan of glock and it is a copy of them, so im leary about it. Main reason i wanted a full size with the longer barrel, is for the extra sight raidious and weight of the gun. Also thought about the kahr ct9 as it has the 3.97 in barrel
Old February 19, 2016, 03:53 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If you pick anything but one of the TP9 series of pistols you are throwing money away.
LOL, HAHAHAHAHA!
Now THAT'S funny right there, I don't care who you are!
Guess "time proven design" doesn't count for the CZ 75!
Quote:
The Turkish CZ75 clones, such as the Caniks, are said to be good.
Old February 19, 2016, 03:59 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I used to own a Hi-Point C9. Never had any problems with it. But I always felt ashamed to pull it out and fire it
But you missed half the fun of owning a Hi-Point!

Hi-Point --$150
100 rounds of cheap 9MM ammo--$20
An hour range time--$17
The look on the face of the guy in the next lane when you out shoot his Glock-----PRICELESS
Old February 19, 2016, 04:00 PM   #21
caleb90

Ohh and one more piece to add to the puzzle.. im from the great commi state of ny, so it needs to be "ny safe act" compliant. Because every one knows a gun is far more deadly with 15 rounds vs 10.
Old February 19, 2016, 04:52 PM   #22
rpseraph

I have shot and loved some very cheap guns... however, I find that it is best to choose 3-4 guns that you would LIKE, ideally that you have shot before... and look for good deals.

I was looking to get a full size .40 to add to the collection. Something under $300 that I could bring to the range, and honestly, leave at the cabin. I found an MP40 (S&W, not the sub machine gun ) police surplus for $275. Great gun, lots of holster wear, not THAT many rounds through it. I was thrilled with this deal!
Old February 19, 2016, 04:59 PM   #23
deerslayer303

You simply Can't beat the value of the TP9 series. Heck it comes with everything, holsters, two mags, cleaning stuff, mag loader and a hard case for sub 350 dollar range. I want one so bad I can't stand it. But I'm holding out for the TP9SF to come back in stock. That is the version they should have made first. As far as a C9 that old ugly brick will SHOOT!! Well once you get a knack for the trigger. The only pistol I have that the C9 won't out shoot is my CZ82, another cheap (in price) fixed barrel blow back pistol.
Old February 19, 2016, 08:51 PM   #24
6mm

What about a Walther PPX? My wife bought it for me, at for a $300 gun it shoots fine.

My daughter has a Taurus PT111G2, we paid $225 for it and it's also a good shooter.

But honestly if you are carrying a SR40 as your primary, I would pick up a SR9e as it has the same manual of arms.
Old February 19, 2016, 11:10 PM   #25
Tucker 1371

For $350 you'd be hard pressed to find a better gun than a Canik TP9SA or SF. Much better trigger than a Glock and very reliable.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe