The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 9, 2017, 06:36 PM   #26
jmr40

Go to youtube. Lots of video of guys shooting the Ruger Predator 6.5 at ranges from 1000-1800 yards. I have one in 6.5 and 308. Both are absolute tack drivers and I paid under $400 for each of them. Of course I have no place to shoot much past 400 yards. I have one place that I can go to a few times a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7A3K69YoTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA6HtIgfuC8

I've seen posts from people who've shot both the Predator and Precision rifle. They report no difference in accuracy, but at least double the cost for the Precision rifle.

Winston Churchill
Old May 10, 2017, 07:47 AM   #27
dieselbeef

Tikka varmint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 10, 2017, 08:06 AM   #28
kraigwy

After sending her to a Long Range Shooting School where she used the school's 6.5 CM, she fell in love with that round.

So I bought her a Ruger Precision in 6.5. After playing with her rifle I kind of got attached to the 6.5 also. I have other LR rifles so I came up with the excuse I needed a light weight Deer/Antelope rifle so I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM for about 1/3 the price. The RAP was just under $400.

Turns out that RAP shoots about as good as the RPR. Heck of a light weight deer/antelope rifle and it'll shoot a lot farther then I can.

My main long range rifle is a AMU Built Model 70 in 308. I've been shooting the 308 in competition for nearly 40 years and kind of got attached to that round.

I tend to base max range of my target rounds on the point where they go sub sonic.

My go to 308 round (175 SMKs @ 2600 FPS MV) goes subsonic at about 1150 yards. My 6.5 CM out of my 22 in RAP barrel, (140-143 had a MV of 2650 fps) goes sub-sonic at about 1500 FPS).

Of course I don't hunt at those ranges, but I do bang steel, both will do 1000 yards, but I'm seriously thinking of maybe moving to the 6.5 CM as my LR gun. It'll shoot as far as my 300 WM loads, but cheaper and a lot easier on me since I'm getting recoil shy in my old age.

Anyway, I don't think one could go wrong with the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM as a budget long range rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 10, 2017, 08:28 PM   #29
tobnpr

A search on this topic should give you enough reading material for....
months.
www.biggorillagunworks.com