The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 2, 2017, 03:21 PM   #26
Tibult

Just bought mine and it had one failure to fire had to wait a number of seconds pointing down range and take it out and re-cycle it and then it worked. The ammo I was using was Sig V crown 124 grain Hollow points all the rest worked well.
Old May 3, 2017, 05:33 AM   #27
gojones

Got mine last week (40 cal.) for $319 less $75 rebate from Palmatto State Armory. Would have never bought it but couldn't resist this price. Also a fine little shooter. Slide failed to lock open on last shot for the first 5 mags but after that it functioned perfectly. Shot about 200 rounds in 45 minutes at the range. Gun was hot to the touch several times but was pleased with the functioning and ease of handling. Hit the vitals consistently at 12 yrds.
Old May 5, 2017, 02:07 PM   #28
TBT

Couldn't help myself. Broke my "4 inch barrel rule" and bought a shield today. $319 ($245 after rebate) @ Palmetto State Armory. Usually not a fan of smaller guns but what the hell. For $245 I'll give it a chance to change my mind.
Old May 5, 2017, 07:58 PM   #29
the duck of death

Just took advantage of the Shield offer from PSA. Being shipped direct to me as I have an FFL. $275 (after rebate) for a 45 ACP (thumb safety) is a GOOD deal.
Old May 5, 2017, 08:06 PM   #30
Siggy-06

I ended up getting an XDS over another shield to get Springfield's 4 free magazine/holster promo. I might grab a shield in .45 before the offers up though.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:56 PM   #31
KyJim

I also just picked up a Shield. I didn't want to kick myself later for not getting one when they're so reasonable.
Old May 6, 2017, 05:11 AM   #32
Hal

Quote:
I also just picked up a Shield. I didn't want to kick myself later for not getting one when they're so reasonable.
Wise move......
(I keep looking at the prices of CZ75b's and wanting to kick myself for not buying a dozen of them when they were $295....)
Old May 6, 2017, 02:15 PM   #33
KyJim

Quote:
Wise move......
(I keep looking at the prices of CZ75b's and wanting to kick myself for not buying a dozen of them when they were $295....)
Yeah, I remember when all the Sig P226s were "dumped" on the U.S. market and I passed them up.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:32 PM   #34
Tomac

I had no interest in or need for a Shield, until I saw the current prices and rebate offer.

I picked up one in 9mm as a cheap experiment around 1st of April and was very surprised to find it accurate w/very manageable recoil and a satisfactory trigger right out of the box.

Fast-forward to today and I now own *4* 9mm Shields that have replaced all my current inventory for EDC & nightstand duty.

After a total of 6-700rds fired, the only problem experienced was a couple of FTE's w/my 4th Shield during the first couple of mags. It's been 100% since.

I ordered exclusively the GrabAGun LE version that comes w/factory night sights & 3 mags (1x7rd & 2x8rd) for $386 shipped. After rebate & transfer fee that comes to only $331/ea!

My only complaint is how stiff the slide release is (I'm old-school), but a few light strokes from one of the wife's emery boards (honey, have you seen my emery board?...) and I now have functional slide releases!

My carry load is HST 124gr, I like its tested performance out of shorter bbls.
I fired one into water jugs (very unscientific, I know) and the expanded bullet measures .65" at the widest.

At the current prices w/rebate, the Shield has absolutely no competition for a decent & accurate CCW piece, IMHO.

Now, if only S&W comes through w/my $300 in rebates...

Tomac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4240002s.jpg (188.3 KB, 28 views)
Old May 12, 2017, 04:16 PM   #35
Tibult

My only personal dislike of the shield is how snappy the recoil in 9mm is even compared to the Glock 43. But value wise with the rebate it cant be beat which is why I bought one with Night sights.
Old May 12, 2017, 07:24 PM   #36
Nathan

Any idea when we will see a rebate?
Old May 12, 2017, 07:27 PM   #37
KyJim

Quote:
My only personal dislike of the shield is how snappy the recoil in 9mm is even compared to the Glock 43. But value wise with the rebate it cant be beat which is why I bought one with Night sights
I shot my new Shield today for the first time with standard pressure ammo. I was surprised at how mild the recoil was. But then I've been shooting mostly .45 acp for awhile so maybe it's just what you get used to.
Old May 12, 2017, 07:58 PM   #38
Super Blackhawk

Shield really catching on

As time goes by, the Shield will outsell most CC handguns.
The quality, accuracy , reliability n ease of carry is very difficult to best.
It s becoming the top seller for many LGS...
I've visited many gun stores in past year n ask the question...what's your top single stack seller.... answer always...overwhelmingly the Shield
Old May 12, 2017, 09:14 PM   #39
Tibult

Yes recoil is subjective to everyone the shield to me is only a defensive carry gun which I will shoot every few months to be proficient with and not put hundreds of rounds through one range sitting.
The shield is a top seller because it is priced right and the gun was made to what the consumer market was demanding for a single stack carry gun. The Glock 43 came to the market too late and is behind trying to catch up to the shield but right now is out-priced by it.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:28 AM   #40
KyJim

Quote:
As time goes by, the Shield will outsell most CC handguns.
The quality, accuracy , reliability n ease of carry is very difficult to best.
I've got to get more time with my Shield but I can see myself carrying it in place of my Kahr CM9 except for pocket carry.
Old May 13, 2017, 11:04 AM   #41
223 shooter

I bought my 9mm Shield last summer after renting one and a Glock 43 . The main difference between the two rental guns was the Shield trigger was much better. Add to that saving over $100 going with the Shield was a no brainer. Now they are even more of a savings!

About the only improvement I would like to see in the 9mm Shield is to have the same grip texture are the 45 Shield I bought later.
Old May 13, 2017, 11:10 AM   #42
Pukindog12

Reading all these posts sure tempts me to buy a Shield. Fortunately, for me, I already have two CW9s (which I find superior to the Shield) to quell those urges.
Old May 13, 2017, 05:18 PM   #43
Rangerrich99

Wow, if I'd known about the rebate, I would've waited 10 months or so before getting mine at what now seems like a terribly over-inflated price of $365.

I got the 9mm version after test-driving it against several other sub-compact style handguns. The Shield simply fit my criteria better than the other guns I tried out.

Anyway, to date, I've put close to 1,000 rds through it. So far I haven't had a single failure or malfunction of any kind. About 400 of that was MassAmmo's Sasquatch 115 gr. ammo, and the rest has been a mix of WWB, CCI, and my own reloads.

As others stated, the grip didn't feel quite right in my hand, but a Hogue Handall with a couple wraps of grip tape underneath solved that for me. My only real issue has been the very stiff magazines springs, that eventually convinced me to get my first speed loader device, an Uplula, which has been as good as advertised.

I also recently picked up an Apex Tactical trigger kit (just the aluminum trigger without the replacement sear) just because I dislike plastic triggers. Apex claims that the trigger kit reduces pre- and over-travel by 20%. I have no way to verifying that, but it definitely reduces pre-travel significantly and seems to allow the trigger to break a bit more crisply. Trigger pull weight seems unchanged.

I just took a defensive handgun course using my Shield and it performed flawlessly. Of course, I did a lot more tactical reloads than everyone else, but I needed the practice anyway.

Normally I carry a 1911 in 9mm for EDC, but I have to admit my Shield is quickly becoming a favorite carry gun around here.
Old May 13, 2017, 06:46 PM   #44
dgludwig

Quote:
but I have to admit my Shield is quickly becoming a favorite carry gun around here.
Reliability is everything when relying on any handgun for self-defense. Sounds like the Shield is worth counting on.
Old May 13, 2017, 07:06 PM   #45
TunnelRat

I also agree that if I were to ask the local stores near me they'd say the Shield is one of their best sellers.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 13, 2017, 07:06 PM   #46
Rangerrich99

I don't know about everything, but certainly a top three consideration. And of the semi-autos I've bought in the last ten years, it is the most reliable so far. In fact, the only 9mm in my safe that has eaten all of my reloads without choking, including the rounds the Glock and the 1911 choked on.
Old May 14, 2017, 06:30 AM   #47
Nathan

There are better guns, imo, but there are not better $250 carry guns!

I'm kind of an idealist. The Shield with a thumb safety is close enough to ideal to me.
Old May 14, 2017, 08:09 AM   #48
Texas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibult View Post
My only personal dislike of the shield is how snappy the recoil in 9mm is even compared to the Glock 43. But value wise with the rebate it cant be beat which is why I bought one with Night sights.

Hmm
My first shield was a 40 my current is a 45 and the recoil on both is (to me) very manageable and less felt than many polymer compacts like Glock or others. My buddy has a 30s in 45 I prefer my shield even though it is smaller and lighter it feels better to shoot. Could be the stubby glock grip and funky angle. I also only use the extended mags in my shields so ky pinky stays on the grip.

I always take my shield to range day and it sees at least 150 rds each time. And it does not wear you out doing it.

All in all these little guns are a great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 15, 2017, 12:42 PM   #49
shepsan

At today’s pricing, the Shield 9 and 40 are the best value pricing I have ever seen for a compact concealed EDC. The pistol is a close combat defensive weapon; not a recreational target pistol.

Its magazine capacity and recoil make it enough and manageable for the “traditional” defense encounter (fast and few rounds expended). The reliability and accuracy of the Shield for its purposes (up to 15 yards or so), make it equal or superior to the highest priced revolvers or pistols.

These are the reasons that I say the Shield is the best value pricing I have seen.

I own two 9mm Shields and alternate them for my EDC.