The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 28, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

Quick ? about the Blackhawk SERPA/CQC...

I own a left hand SERPA(matte CQC format) for a S&W Military and Police model.
I'm thinking of buying a new Smith and Wesson SD9 9x19mm pistol soon.
My question is if the SD9 will fit(with security/function) in the SERPA holster for the M&P series. The holster seems adjustable to a point with the polymer frame.
Id prefer to keep using it for concealed carry and/or armed security posts.

I'm in a $$$ bind too so please don't post remarks about the SIGs or HKs or Glocks. Also Im mandated by state laws to only use a 9mm. No .44magnums or .480 Rugers, .

PM me if you own or carry a SD9/SD40 if you want.

Thx;
Clyde
Old August 31, 2013, 11:16 AM   #2
cryogenic419

You may do well to email the company and see if they are interchangeable or find out if other holster makers are listing off a single holster that fits both of those guns. I know Blackhawk don't always list off what will fit in the holster on their website or the packaging. I carry a Glock 20 in cold weather months, Glock 29 in warm weather. I bought the holster that was marked for the 20/21 and wouldn't you know it the 29 fits in there exactly the same. Only difference is length of grip and slide/barrel length. These holsters seem to work partially on the shape of the gun but mostly where the trigger guard is located and shape.

The adjustment that this holster offers is kind of minimal. The best way I can describe it lets you adjust how snug the gun is in the holster. Its already a mostly snug fit with a touch of wobble and play while in the holster, but you can tighten it up so there is no wobble.

You should probably be aware there has been a bit of controversy about this holster and accidental discharges. I'm not knocking the holster as I use one myself, just making you aware that an issue does exist. If you google "blackhawk serpa banned" you'll see what I am talking about.
Old September 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

update...

Thanks for the post.
I checked into a new SD9 pistol and the QC isn't that hot compared to the M&P models.

I also checked on the forums of S&W owners and a few members said the Blackhawk SERPAs fit a few M&Ps, SD9/40s, SIGMAs, & other models.

As for the safety/design of the SERPAs, I had no problems with my polymer holster and M&P full size. The SERPA isn't perfect but its good for general concealed carry and range use.
I've seen a few local detectives & investigators using SERPAs with 1911a1 pistols & the SIG P226 9x19mm.

I might save up and buy a new M&P compact 9mm or get a new PPX sidearm later.

CF