The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 30, 2013, 10:29 AM   #26
pilpens

1 shot only, then a SHOTGUN with short barrel.
===
More realistically in my case, it would most likely be the pistol I CC the most, a Kahr K9 or one one of the bigger guns that would have been in the glove box when traveling (Sig P6, Walther P99, Xdm or Glock -- all 9mm)
===
Keep in mind that the gun I chose to carry or is by my hotel/motel bedside is expected to work when needed. It is maintained well, etc, etc.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:43 AM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
A one-shot kill is for Bambi.
Agreed. I'll take aim and fire a triple tap string of bullets his way.

I have a TLR-1s attached to my handgun. However, in the scenario we already saw him and saw he had a knife so I don't think I'd need to check. Highly doubt housekeeping would pull a stunt like that anyways.

Not to mention, I have a Glock 19. Those don't jam. Don't be silly!

^^^^^^^^JOKE^^^^^^^^^
Old July 30, 2013, 11:10 AM   #28
mavracer

Quote:
WHICH ONE AND WHY?
I obviously have the upmost confidence in any gun I put on the nightstand and have both autos and revolvers that see nightstand duty so it's not a matter of trust that they'll work. For your fantasy scenario I'm gonna say revolver simply because I don't have a auto capable of launching a 275 gr Barnes DPX Solid copper HP at 1500 fps.

Now I got a question for you.
Since you have this crystal ball that tells you exactly how your gunfight is going down, why not just ask for the room at the other end of the hall or maybe drive another hour to a hotel that isn't getting robbed tonight?
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 30, 2013, 12:26 PM   #29
KMAX

Since we are in a handgun forum, I'll stick to handguns.
One shot: 1911 45acp
One chance w/multiple shots: 1911 45acp.
Of what I currently have it is what I shoot best and I have no function issues with it whatsoever. My Hi Power is equally accurate and reliable, but a smaller bullet. In this case, I feel bigger is better. I would be okay with my model 65 357mag, but my daughter took it.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by KMAX; July 30, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old July 30, 2013, 12:35 PM   #30
RBid

One shot to live ... Auto ... or ... Revolver

I have had to draw, and I didn't 't have any thoughts about firearm choice until after the event. Honestly, that mess isn't at the forefront of your thoughts when you're looking at a man with a gun.

After the fact, I felt very happy to have committed to service weapon carry before I had to draw. I had a Glock 19 on me, and a spare mag. No shots fired, but I had a very capable weapon to work with, if it went that way.

I get that some guys want to believe in revolvers being "more reliable", but my semis have been perfect. You can't get "more reliable" than zero fails.
Old July 30, 2013, 12:45 PM   #31
JD0x0

The revolver for more than one reason.

No slide lock back on empty. I'd be the only one who knows I'm "out" if I missed or, the last bullet didn't 'stop' the threat. I still have a gun that they think is loaded. Once a semi runs out, it becomes very obvious.

Revolvers tend to be more reliable too and more intimidating.
Old July 30, 2013, 12:55 PM   #32
cas700850

In this scenario, I'll take my Glock 19, with the Glock 17 mag and the +2 adapter, so 20 rounds in the gun total. Why? Because I can shoot that gun darned fast with 9mm ammo, it's never jammed on me, and I don't need precision accuracy in the situation described. I can empty the entire magazine into the chest of a B-27 target at 50 feet in around 10 seconds. That should do fine.

Now, to be true to the thread, I've made a revolver my travel gun, so that no matter where we go, I won't have issues with magazine capacity. And, I can always find ammunition to work in a revolver. My travel guns right now are a Smith 596 and a Smith 649. The 586 would be in the position you describe, and I'd be okay with that choice.
Old July 30, 2013, 01:01 PM   #33
spacecoast

One shot up to six, I'm perfectly happy with my S&W 22-4 revolver in .45 ACP.
Old July 30, 2013, 01:42 PM   #34
more_bullets

Glock 22! I can get the first round on target really quickly! Just because I practice the most with it and am most familiar with it out off my handguns.
Old July 30, 2013, 02:03 PM   #35
CajunBass

Quote:
Which would you choose with one shot and your family’s life was on the line
If I've only got one shot, what difference does it make? I'd expect anything to get off one shot.

Actually I wouldn't worry about either of them getting off more than one shot either, but your question was "one shot."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 30, 2013, 03:03 PM   #36
rellik74

revolver, if i cant killem in 6 rounds what good is 8,14,16 or 30.
Old July 30, 2013, 03:23 PM   #37
mooner

Stupid scenario, but here I am answering so I guess it worked.

If the object is to steer anyone towards revolver, this scenario is flawed. The typical semi auto malfunction won't occur until after the first round is fired.

Personally I would choose my 9mm. I am most proficient with it and can probably get two shots off in the time it would take me to get one shot with any of my revolvers. The question then is: two shots or one? I choose two.
Old July 30, 2013, 03:27 PM   #38
allaroundhunter

One shot to live ... Auto ... or ... Revolver

Wildbill, no police officer or combat vet is going to follow your line of thinking. They will not say revolver, or auto because of a lack of malfunctions, they will say the gun that is in their hand, regardless of action type. And they certainly wouldn't prescribe to the 1 shot only deal....

If you are in that situation then you make the shot with what you have. If you knew in advance that you would be put in that position...then you wouldn't be there.
Old July 30, 2013, 03:29 PM   #39
KMAX

Think double tap, at minimum. It is much easier for me to accurately double tap a semi than a revolver. But either gun should work fine. I agree that this scenario should be avoided, but it was the scenario given.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old July 30, 2013, 03:59 PM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

If it is Jason Voorhees or Michael Myers - you are just out of luck.

Look, if you are toting around an unreliable gun - just rethink it.

The one shot scenario is silly for a serious post. You shoot until the threat ceases.

Art is correct - if we were forced to have one shot - then some long arm - shotgun or rifle.
Old July 30, 2013, 04:06 PM   #41
WildBill45

Quote:
The typical semi auto malfunction won't occur until after the first round is fired.
There are quite a few malfunctions with striker fired actions not firing ... period, first shot or 14, without a proper warning even after being broke-in properly! Sometimes these new and unproven types are just not striking, but again this isn't the point either in particular.

BUT, AND THERE ALWAYS IS A BUT IN LIFE ...

Again, this is not a pistol competition, this is about confidence, real or perceived, about your choice of auto or revolver in regard to working with absolute confidence when faced with a real life or death choice, it is as simple as that.

Some folks are not reading, and going on what others have said who have not read the original premise ... or for whatever reason have changed course.

"When faced with danger in a Now moment, which style do you have more confidence in with your life on the line and reliability is the ONLY Factor and not fire power, a Revolver or an Auto ... Period.

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; July 30, 2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add a line or two.
Old July 30, 2013, 04:50 PM   #42
Waspinator

Quote:
In regard to working with absolute confidence when faced with a real life or death choice
There is no absolute. Fairly certain, yes.. but absolute, never.

Since we are all talking hypothetical here... What happens if you pull the trigger on your most reliable weapon you ever had and you get a squib load? Happens.
Old July 30, 2013, 04:57 PM   #43
mavracer

Quote:
"When faced with danger in a Now moment, which style do you have more confidence in with your life on the line and reliability is the ONLY Factor and not fire power, a Revolver or an Auto ... Period.
Either one that I've tested and neither if I haven't PERIOD.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 30, 2013, 05:08 PM   #44
Glenn E. Meyer

So if the answer is that the revolver is more reliable for one, that's that.

How about a Contender in 30-30 for just one shot?
Old July 30, 2013, 05:13 PM   #45
RickB

The least reliable gun I own is a S&W DA revolver. Loaded with anything not utilizing Federal primers, it runs about 90%.
Even my worst auto is better 95% reliable, so the revolver is not going to get the nod on that score.
If I had to choose one gun that I own, it would be the Colt M1991A1 that I customized to suit me.
Old July 30, 2013, 05:21 PM   #46
wayneinFL

I don't see where it matters whether it's a revolver or semi auto. I own very reliable firearms in either category. I don't see why I would favor my model 10 over a Beretta 92, Hi-Power, or Glock 17.
Old July 30, 2013, 05:25 PM   #47
Glenn E. Meyer

RickB - springs? I had a Model 19 like that. It was used and the previous owner had lightened up the springs to such an extent I had weak strikes.

Fixed with new springs.
Old July 30, 2013, 05:50 PM   #48
lee n. field

Quote:
You and your family are on a cross-country trip, and sleeping in a small hotel on the edge of some high crime city, when the door busts open in the middle of the night. The large silhouette in the doorway is holding a knife, a Big Knife, and your kids are still sleeping. You grab your handgun next to you on the bedside table as he enters the room and you only have time for one shot to save everybody.

BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF AND US:

Would you feel more nervous and think about if the gun will work more if you had an auto in your hand than if you had a revolver?

Seriously, that last time your handgun failed, was it an auto or a revolver?

Which would you choose with one shot and your family’s life was on the line … PERIOD … NO OTHER OPTIONS OR THOUGHTS … PERIOD

WHICH ONE AND WHY?
One shot means, it does not matter if the gun cycles reliably for the second shot. Only the first shot matters.

Sinlge action auto. There's less going on to get that first and only shot off.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 30, 2013, 06:22 PM   #49
JD0x0

Quote:
I don't see where it matters whether it's a revolver or semi auto.
I do. If you're on your last bullet. The slide on a semi auto will lock back. Indicating 'empty.' If the BG is not dead, he now knows your gun is useless, for the time being. A revolver has no indication when it's out of ammo. Sure it's possible to count shots, but the BG doesn't know if you have a 5,6,7,8,9,10 shot revolver. If your last shot didn't put the BG down, at least you still have the implication of a credible threat to him/her. You might get lucky and walk the BG out of the front door, with your gun's muzzle against he back of his/her neck. It's preferable to having an empty semi auto, with the slide locked back, IMO.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:32 PM   #50
Lucas McCain

I would suggest that you participate in the NRA's "don't become a victim" classes. By choosing a better motel in a better location you won't put your family at risk and put yourself in a bad situation.
You get what you pay for.
Cheap motels are mostly in high crime areas, and cheap handguns are unreliable.